Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Dateline Minneapolis. In the last five years neck restraints were used 237 times. 44 of them lost consciousness. Used mostly on blacks. DUH?

Dateline Minneapolis. In the last five years neck restraints were used 237 times. 44 of them lost consciousness. Used mostly on blacks. DUH?

Shock and awe right? Surprised right? Never wouldda couldda
 guessed it in a bazillion years right?

All of the above is ALLEGEDLY. Do I know that for a fact? Did I fact check research it? No I did not. Just reported. True or faux would I swear on it? No because I am not the one that did the research and came up with those numbers. For what it's worth. True or faux? I DO NOT KNOW!

Posted - June 1, 2020

Responses

I think policy should be leave the neck alone. Nationwide. 
      June 1, 2020 9:28 AM MDT

Assuming I lived, I'd sue the flipping heck out of the police if they did that to me! I've been known to file a complaint for an officer being disrespectful to me! I don't tolerate being treated badly, I expect public servants to behave decently to law abiding people. 
      June 1, 2020 4:39 PM MDT

You'd sue the department or the individual cop or both? I wonder how many folks who were wronged tried that and won? Probably better off not knowing. It could be extremely depressing. So you filed a complaint and what was the outcome Addb? I've never really had a "bad" experience with the police personally. I encountered one "lemon" who was unsmiling and a tad surly but he was still polite with the "m'am". It did not upset me at all. I was doing 90 mph and he wrote me up on the ticket for doing 80. That allowed me to go to driver's school on a Saturday and not have that speeding ticket on my record. Otherwise I've had some very positive experiences with them. Of course I'm "white". If I were African American my story would undoubtedly be radically different. I wonder how many innocent black women are killed by cops? I'll ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to you! :)
      June 2, 2020 2:08 AM MDT

The department - we aren't as litigious here but yes, we can get compensation from police if they have been found to be acting unreasonably.. here cops aren't allowed to beat people up or use unreasonable force.  If you went that route and they found in your favour, which does happen here then you would get a) compensation and b) more importantly - an apology and explanation as to what measures they have put in place to ensure it doesn't happen again..

I've complained about the police a couple of times, they have investigated and apologised.. and this was not for hurting me or anyone, but for behaving badly, i.e. one was that the words and attitude they displayed conveyed that they were acting as if I were guilty until proven innocent.. which is the opposite of how they should behave.. they investigated and found in my favour and apologised. 
      June 2, 2020 1:22 PM MDT

They are not "allowed" to beat people up here either.  

But there are bad apples everywhere in the USA and even in the UK.   We must get rid of the them. 
      June 2, 2020 1:36 PM MDT

Good for you Addb! ATTA GIRL! Good for you. Glad to hear that. Thank you for the detailed info. It's very helpful! :)
      June 2, 2020 1:52 PM MDT