Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » History » Was the Boston Tea Party a riot? Is looting tea any different than looting Jack Daniels?

Was the Boston Tea Party a riot? Is looting tea any different than looting Jack Daniels?

Like ANY historical event, if you WIN, your riots are patriotic..  If you LOSE, you're a thug.

Posted - June 2, 2020

Responses

What difference does it make now? It's just a matter of semantics.
      June 2, 2020 7:15 AM MDT

Hello Stu:

It IS semantics.. Nonetheless, it's important to make the distinction, or the lack thereof, crystal clear.  

excon
      June 2, 2020 7:48 AM MDT

The Boston Tea Party happened in 1773, so describing it really makes no difference now, except perhaps as an exercise in intellectual masturbation.
      June 2, 2020 11:35 AM MDT

'm a bit surprised to hear this view.

There's a chance that these demonstrations could lead to legislative change to ensure better training, and supervision of cops, with instant dismissal and charges for proven crimes, and harsher penalties.
    Law enforcement people carry more responsibility than ordinary citizens and therefore should be held to account.
    They been allowed to get away with crimes or condoning crimes for far too long. 
      June 2, 2020 1:09 PM MDT

Could be, but an event that occurred in 1773, however historic, has and will have nothing to do with it.
      June 2, 2020 1:18 PM MDT

• Excuse me, but if you break a window, torch a building and carry away a case of Jack Daniels, it really isn't because you're deeply stressed over the price of the item, or the tax added to same, or if that tax is legal. How many cases of stolen Jack Daniels(and other goods) end up in the nearest river or harbor under the pretense of deep abiding concern over perception of racism in America? 
      June 2, 2020 7:39 AM MDT

Hello H:

If you STEAL my stuff, I don't care whether you did it because you're a patriot, or because you wanna have a drink.. My stuff IS my stuff.  Stealing IS stealing..  Rioting IS rioting.

Indulge me here..  IF the black people WIN, doncha think they'll call their riots PATRIOTIC??  Doncha think they'll go down in the history books as GREAT achievements??    Of course, they will..  History is written by the victors.

excon
      June 2, 2020 7:54 AM MDT

This is not a black people white people thing.   NO ONE is supporting these murdering cops. 
      June 2, 2020 7:59 AM MDT

Hello my:

Not now...  But the civil war Trump is stoking certainly might be.  Certainly, the civil war gun nuts have been threatening to wage on us, might be..

These are dangerous times..  If Trump wants trouble, he just might GET trouble..

excon
      June 2, 2020 8:20 AM MDT

Trump is not stoking civil war.  The terrorists hiding as protesters may want one but they will lose.   The real protesters do not, the family of George Floyd do not want it.   

As as gun nut (solid 2nd amendment supporter),  I can tell you I do not want one and have never threatened one.  I have said I will defend my rights.  But for that to happen someone is going to have to come to try to take my right from me. 

We want peace in the streets.  Riots/burning/stealing/destroying/etc does not help anyone but the terrorist criminals. Protecting the citizens of the great country is the first job of our elected officials and they need to step up and do it. 
      June 2, 2020 8:30 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

Nahhh...  The FIRST job Trump has is protecting the Constitution..  Read Trumps oath of office..  Protecting citizens isn't on the list..

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

excon This post was edited by excon at June 2, 2020 8:41 AM MDT
      June 2, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

I was talking about state leaders....it is the Governor's responsibility to defend their citizens.  (Federalist system and all) This is why we have state and local police not national police force. 

But if as you say this is a revolution then under the 4th amendment it now becomes the Federal gov responsibility to protect the US from this invasion of domestic terrorists.  Which would be required under the POTUS oath of defending the constitution. 
      June 2, 2020 9:01 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

Still nahhh..  For the most part, governors oath's are the same..  Their FIRST duty is to protect the Constitution..  Here is Sara Palins oath, for example.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Alaska, and that I will faithfully discharge my duties as Governor to the best of my ability."

excon
      June 2, 2020 9:49 AM MDT

Duties of the office. 

The first and most basic duty is to defend and protect is people. 
      June 2, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Yes it was.  

And we are not having another revolution.   The people do not want it.  The good people do not want riots, stealing, burning, beating etc.....we want the police involved arrested and charged with murder all 4 of them.   

We need a separate entity to police the police/FBI etc.  They cannot be allowed to police themselves. Nor to prosecute themselves with the same prosecutors who rely on them for evidence for their own cases. 

But do not need terrorists on our streets. 
      June 2, 2020 7:57 AM MDT

Hello again, my:

You say we're NOT having a revolution???  Oh, contraire..

excon
      June 2, 2020 8:24 AM MDT

No we are not having a revolution.  We have some terrorists on our streets but that will end soon and they will be going to jail.

When this is over will still be The United States of America.  

June 2, 2020 8:39 AM MDT

#1 - No, it was not a riot.  

#2 - Yes, there is a difference.

The difference between a riot and a rebellion is the target of the violence.
    A riot destroys anything that is in its path.
    A rebellion targets the property of the oppressor class.  Generally, but not always, government.
      June 2, 2020 11:23 AM MDT

Another distinction is that the tea was thrown into the harbor - it was not taken for personal use.  The looting is for personal gain - either for personal use or for personal sale as income.  There is a difference.  The items looted from independent businesses are not going to hurt the government, but it is hurting people in their own communities.  
      June 2, 2020 1:26 PM MDT

I think they all need Tanning for chucking that tea in the drink....Didn't they realize that they had to wait for the water to boil first.....their lack of infusion can lead to confusion....:(   
      June 2, 2020 1:47 PM MDT

Very low-brow.
      June 2, 2020 2:28 PM MDT

How true..You fail to mention though that the Victors always write the history books...:( 
      June 2, 2020 1:50 PM MDT

Only in the short term.
    In the long run, it's written by archaeologists.

lol
      June 2, 2020 2:00 PM MDT

True...they are renowned for brushing up the on the facts and indeed the artifacts to in their case....along with their sandwiches two I suppose...:)D 
      June 2, 2020 2:13 PM MDT