Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Now you have had time to settle into it... what's the best and worse part of working from home.

Now you have had time to settle into it... what's the best and worse part of working from home.

Personally, I find it quite stressful, everything takes longer and takes more brainpower to figure out HOW to do it.. and because things take longer and I don't feel I achieve as much as I should, I feel I should spend longer. 

Posted - June 2, 2020

Responses

I have to agree with you that it is harder to accomplish the same tasks at home as quickly as you can at work.  Part of my problem is that the platform we use to access our office network has limitations - I can't control the size of fonts, for one thing, and on certain programs, the print it so small that I can barely see it, even with my glasses.  
      June 2, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

That sounds annoying and stressful!
      June 3, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

I it is. :)
      June 3, 2020 1:20 PM MDT

The good thing is ,I've spent three months  for the fisrt time since we have been together ,time with who I live with...For me that has been memorable and all down to the virus..:)  
      June 2, 2020 1:33 PM MDT

That sounds lovely :) Mind you they do say this period will make some relationships and break others! I am glad yours has been a blessing. 
      June 3, 2020 12:59 PM MDT

Trouble is.......I got/get far more out of it than I bargained for...;)D 
      June 3, 2020 2:17 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . .

~

June 4, 2020 8:08 AM MDT

Lovely photo for once.....there is no little ankle biters on the way though....still,there is nothing wrong with pratiacing as I've heard it makes perfect, ohh arrr.  :) 
      June 4, 2020 8:14 AM MDT

I did not work from home.  My job does not lend itself to that.  I do paperwork at home.  But if there are no customers there is very little of that to do. 
      June 2, 2020 3:03 PM MDT

That's an interesting point. My job used to be entirely about dealing with 'customers', advising them, helping them and making things happen; I was basically a problem solver. Now, all my work is in front of a computer screen and the only contact I have with people is via email. The job changed, not to my liking, before this point and fortunately/unfortunately this means I can now do everything from home
      June 3, 2020 1:01 PM MDT

As of yesterday I retired, which meant that my experience with working from home was that for the past two and a half months during the stay-at-home orders, my job had us working from home for part of the week and going into the workplace for the other part. I, however, spent at least the last 30 days of it processing my retirement papers, so I was largely exempt from having any work-related tasks to accomplish.  I spent the majority of shutdown time at home. The Human Resources personnel were all considered non-essential, so they worked from home, which means thats that’s how I had to do my paperwork with them. Lots of emailing and phone calls and scanning and other such machinations. It wasn’t ideal, especially for documents that required original signatures as opposed to electronic signatures, and for redoing any documents that had discrepancies requiring corrections. Lot of snail mail went back and forth also. 

For the portion of time that I was working from home before being informed that they would be retiring me (it’s only only mandatory retirement, it’s also early retirement), I was doing official business from home, and it wasn’t easy as pie, to be sure. Some of the same stresses with working from home that you mentioned were prevalent at my job also.  A lot of glitches had to be ironed out, and there were not a whole lot of positives involved in the process overall. Some of my coworkers enjoyed it immensely, some despised it immensely, some were on the fence. Approximately a week or two into work-from-home, I got my notice, so I wasn’t really invested in the good/bad of it as far as official duties were concerned, and now that I’m gone completely, it’s a moot point for me personally. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 3, 2020 2:22 PM MDT
      June 2, 2020 3:43 PM MDT

Happy retirement :)
      June 2, 2020 5:59 PM MDT

Thank you!
    ~
      June 2, 2020 7:35 PM MDT

Yaay...more time here.
      June 2, 2020 6:20 PM MDT

I hope it was a happy decision for you, that early retirement. 

More time to correct us all regarding our grammar and spelling :P 

PS I noticed a tiny mistake in your paragraph... as you now have more time, I will leave you to find it :P
      June 3, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

Thank you for catching that!  I have edited my error, and I must tell you that you’ve turned me on a little. What do you have planned for this coming Friday evening?

~

June 3, 2020 1:48 PM MDT

Ha ha Friday is my day off actually :P And see this is all this new-found free time - the mind is able to wander to pastures long forgotten :P
      June 3, 2020 2:15 PM MDT

[Loudspeaker aboard the jetliner] Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to our non-stop flight to Heathrow Airport in London, England . . .

~

June 3, 2020 2:27 PM MDT

How on earth do you iron glitches...I've just got to say that you crease me up with you ironing paperwork ..
      June 3, 2020 2:32 PM MDT

How on earth do you iron glitches...I've just got to say that you crease me up with you ironing paperwork ..
      June 3, 2020 2:32 PM MDT

Best: it only takes 30 seconds to get there.
    Worst: the only place I could set up my desk an actually get anything done is my shed. It's not insulated and I'm freezing my butt off.
      June 2, 2020 4:07 PM MDT

Ahh indeed how we suffer for our employers. I get fed up of telling my kids, "I am at work, can't you see that!" when they whine about what's for tea! 

June 3, 2020 1:08 PM MDT

If I worked at home the best thing would be I could drink at work, and the worst would be I might have to do something beside be here.
      June 2, 2020 6:22 PM MDT

Agreed, work is a dreadful inconvenience! It keeps us from more important things!
      June 3, 2020 1:09 PM MDT