Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What do you think of the CBS network airing “Sunday Night Movies” again, reminiscent of the 1970s and 1980s?

What do you think of the CBS network airing “Sunday Night Movies” again, reminiscent of the 1970s and 1980s?

Technology and entertainment have evolved so much beyond the viability of that type of programming that I can’t imagine any ratings boon or profit margin blossoming from this stunt. For instance, a sampling of the movies offered so far, the Indiana Jones franchise specifically, have been aired on at least ten other cable or streaming outlets several times a week over the past few months. Even if these movies were not on other channels or on streaming, anyone who wants to see them has numerous other options for finding them.

There is no breakthrough that I can see in CBS airing content that has already been rendered stale and overplayed elsewhere. How could its executives get away with such blatant futility?
~

Posted - June 2, 2020

Responses

There hasn't been one CBS Sunday Night Movie that I wanted to watch.  I'm not that big a movie fan any longer because much of the fare is mediocre - same with the sitcoms and reality shows.  I don't have a premier cable package these days, but I'm not sure there's anything there either.  When my cable company offered free HBO for a week, I looked at what they were offering and there was nothing I wanted to see.  TV seems to have become pretty much a vast wasteland.  They keep trying to resurrect old shows, but other than Magnum, PI, they haven't had a winner.  
      June 3, 2020 12:54 PM MDT

it sounds good
      June 22, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

If they would rerun some of the awesome TV movies of the 70s & 80s, I would definitely watch. 

Except I don't have cable. I'm sure there's an app. 
      August 21, 2022 5:12 PM MDT