Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » If someone is ever in a situation requiring the police to be called, wouldn’t it be better to call the ACLU instead?

If someone is ever in a situation requiring the police to be called, wouldn’t it be better to call the ACLU instead?

Posted - June 5, 2020

Responses

I certainly would choose the police over that radical group.
      June 5, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Thanks for the like on that, as I feel the ACLU used to protect all rights but they have become only one sided and protect only ones that agree with their agenda.
      June 5, 2020 10:02 AM MDT

Feel or think?

~

June 5, 2020 10:03 AM MDT

I really feel that way from what I have read on what they defend and don't. Favor one party now and it used to be ever who was wronged as they saw it and party was not a factor. I disagreed some in the past and almost all the time now.
      June 5, 2020 10:08 AM MDT

There is a big difference between a feeling (emotion, hunch) and knowledge (thought, idea).  I’m not saying that you have to respond that it definitely your feeling or definitely your thought, it just seems to me that a feeling is less based on tangible information and more on whim.   Knowledge is based on provable facts.  Many people refer to knowledge as feeling. 

~

June 5, 2020 10:19 AM MDT

I have the feeling because from what I know so you can call that as you see it.
      June 6, 2020 12:54 PM MDT

I took a communication course at a community college years ago---primarily because the syllabus indicated there would be an in depth discussion of "the color wheel of emotions."  https://www.6seconds.org/2017/04/27/plutchiks-model-of-emotions/

In one of the first few lectures, the professor made it a point to emphasize the difference between "feeling" and "thinking."

Here's a comment that I would agree with:  when people use the word “feel” when it’s really thinking that’s involved, usually in a form like, “I feel that …” I think this is a dangerous mistake, as it tends to blur the lines between rational thought and emotion.....So, I think it’s very important that we maintain that distinction, rather than end up with very muddy discussions.  https://www.waywordradio.org/discussion/topics/feel-vs-think-1/

The problems usually don't really surface until the third or forth resulting statements in the exchange---at which time, it's likely that you are indeed wallowing in the mud.

Sometimes, if you know the person you, you can guess whether he means "think" when he says feel; or you can ask for immediate clarification.
      June 21, 2020 5:24 PM MDT

Thanks but really I can see that other ways and it is all redundant as in cases like this I would have to think that in order to feel it so in my world said either way, I have never been questioned on whether I thought or felt it in my life until today. That is the way I feel and think about that. 
      June 27, 2020 5:41 PM MDT

Well, I do understand how you think you feel.
      August 7, 2020 12:45 PM MDT

It would depend on what was happening.
    In the case of George Floyd or any issue of civil liberties, definitely yes.
    If it was a matter of life or death I'd also call an ambulance and for the help of people nearby.
      June 5, 2020 2:50 PM MDT

depends on what they do
      June 21, 2020 4:45 PM MDT

The police;---the ACLU only deals with civil liberties cases.

If you call them instead of the police---and someone from the ACLU actually show up---the only effect that you will have is to increase the crowd size watching what is going on.
      June 21, 2020 5:29 PM MDT

You do realize that I was being facetious, don’t you?
    ~

June 21, 2020 7:08 PM MDT

To be honest, I didn't pay any attention to who posted the question---On the other hand, one of the questions on the driver's test many, many hears ago was if you changed your address, should you notify the Highway Department or the Department of Public Safety.

Apparently, a number of potential drivers though though Ol' Billy Bob might want to get in touch with them on his lunch break from driving that
    bulldozer. 
      June 22, 2020 7:29 PM MDT