Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Thebigd
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would cognac bottled in 1762 be drinkable? Allegedly someone paid $146,000 for it in an online auction. Would YOU taste it?

Would cognac bottled in 1762 be drinkable? Allegedly someone paid $146,000 for it in an online auction. Would YOU taste it?

Posted - June 8, 2020

Responses

June 8, 2020 2:44 PM MDT

Thanks for the link tom and reading it confuses me. I read about the cognac sale in the current issue of TIME Magazine. I quote
    "$146,000 sale price of a bottle of vintage cognac from 1762 at an online auction May 28".

So if your link is true someone paid $146,000 for a fake unless there were two such bottles. I wonder which it is? Happy Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 9, 2020 7:01 AM MDT
      June 8, 2020 2:50 PM MDT

My link above was from from 2016.

The "exceedingly rare" Gautier cognac is one of the oldest surviving cognacs in the world, and only three bottles of it are left, according to Sotheby's auction house.May 28, 2020 (Internet, today) 

Apparently it is not the only bottle left with that date.. This post was edited by tom jackson at June 9, 2020 7:01 AM MDT
      June 8, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

Thanks. I cannot imagine anything that OLD being drinkable. I wonder if there is any drop dead date beyond which one dare not or ought drink or eat something. Aren't there very old eggs that are prized somewhere in the world...China maybe? Would take a braver soul than me or I to buy and try. Happy Tuesday tom! :)
      June 9, 2020 2:33 AM MDT

After a quick search, the consensus seems to be that if bottled (or born) at the same time, a human will have gone bad way before the brandy ever will.

https://www.doesitgobad.com/does-brandy-go-bad/#:~:text=How%20Long%20Does%20Brandy%20Last,%2C%20it%20doesn't%20spoil.
      June 10, 2020 3:05 PM MDT

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Too funny. Good ta know though.  Long ago I knew a guy who LOVED Cognac. A regular guy. Not a fancy dancy schmancy by any means. Our neighbor across the street...a sweetheart and a regular gal...drinks Cognac too. I always have associated that with extreme wealth elegance and upper class. Apparently regular folks can enjoy it too. I can't remember ever trying it. Not a fan of brandy though so methinks it would not be my cuppa tea. Thank you for the search and link tom. I appreciate it. Now after I bid you adieu I'm going to click on it and enjoy the reading. Do YOU like Cognac? Happy Thursday! :)
      June 11, 2020 3:59 AM MDT

Actually, I don't like it---and I doubt I've bought a bottle since my early 20's.

Ever since my 30's, I've been involved with wines---and aside from a few varietal reds---(A varietal wine is a wine made primarily from a single named grape variety, and which typically displays the name of that variety on the wine label. Examples of grape varieties commonly used in varietal wines are Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay and Merlot) i settled into preferring the sweeter white "desert" wines and the Hungarian Tokaji Aszú

An occasional bottle of Scotch (single malt or blended, depending on my taste at the time---but let's skip those amazingly old ones; the room starts spinning very quickly) is still an occasional buy.

https://tastehungary.com/journal/tokaji-aszu-the-story-of-the-worlds-oldest-sweet-wine/
      June 19, 2020 4:20 PM MDT

Cabernet is a bit bold for our taste. We usually buy Merlot or Shiraz. Not fond of sweet wines per se. For a white we like Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. I've wondered what one of those most precious most expensive and old reds would taste like. $1000 for a taste is a bit beyond our budget but what it wpuld taste like is a tantalizing thought.  Thank you for your very informative reply and the link tom and Happy Saturday. All OK on your home front hopefully? Happy Saturday! :)
      June 20, 2020 3:02 AM MDT

Are you buying?
      June 8, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

It will never be opened. It is a collectors item only, just as old rare coins are not for spending.
      June 9, 2020 7:02 AM MDT