Active Now

Slartibartfast
Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why would a city leaders allow people to take over a section of their town?

Why would a city leaders allow people to take over a section of their town?

Seattle Mayor withdrew from several blocks of town. A police precinct abandoned.  The people have placed signs saying "Leaving USA"...

Why would a governor allow this? What should be done? 
https://www.city-journal.org/antifa-seattle-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone

Https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/seattle-s-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone-already-has-a-wikipedia-page-but-it-might-not-last/ar-BB15iP90

Posted - June 10, 2020

Responses

• I don't know. They are weak, spineless, worried that they'll "look bad" if they do something about. Apparently the "new government" in this "autonomous zone" is armed and extorting local businesses. It's basically a mafia take-over. How it's allowed to go on is beyond me. What is this, Mexico?
      June 10, 2020 8:25 PM MDT

I have not idea either.  This cannot be allowed. It will only encourage others.   They need to shut it down. 
      June 10, 2020 8:35 PM MDT

Perhaps they wanted to avoid rioting.
      June 10, 2020 8:26 PM MDT

By allowing them to claim part of the city of their own country? 

June 10, 2020 8:34 PM MDT

Maybe they thought trying to prevent it would lead to rioting.
      June 10, 2020 8:35 PM MDT

Is giving up your town somehow better?    Weakness only leads to being bullied more and more. 

This post was edited by my2cents at June 11, 2020 11:31 AM MDT
      June 10, 2020 8:38 PM MDT

They are following instructions.
      June 11, 2020 12:54 AM MDT

Intructions from whom?
    Will the Mayor kneel to their demands and resign? 
      June 11, 2020 3:47 AM MDT

Perhaps the most disturbing thing of it all is that they're playing reggae. In public. The chaos must stop. :o

I went through and read the coverage on the New York Post, Newsweek, Seattle Times, and more. I'm missing the part where this is a problem. This is not Antifa. Although there have been some reports of businesses being extorted and armed guards, those are few and far between. It sounds a whole heck of a lot like a hippie commune. They're all giving all sorts of random things away free and feeding the homeless. People are putting calls out for more vegan food because they're running low. Yeah. They're very specific. "We need more food to keep the area operational. please if possible bring vegan meat substitutes, fruits, oats, soy products, etc. – anything to help us eat." We should feed them. There's nothing more terrifying than a hangry herd of vegans. 

And, police are still responding to calls in the area. It's not wholly cut off. They're also telling people to report any armed guarding of the area. And, there isn't a firm leadership plan or anything there. I don't see how this is different than most peaceful protests. The police/ government weren't forced out or anything. They boarded up the police station (which still has people working in it) as a precaution but if anyone genuinely thinks CHAZ isn't part of the US, they're delusional. This is actually a small group (I read 200 people) as well. 

I'm sure at some point, the local government is going to tell those nice folks to go home and they'll comply or the protestors will run out of weed and meat substitutes and go home. Best to let it run its course. 
      June 11, 2020 10:24 AM MDT

This is the same as a peaceful protest? And not a problem?  I have protested. I have seen peaceful protests and they do not come after riots with destruction/burning/stealing/beating etc. 

.....The police precinct was not just peacefully given over to the "peaceful protesters".   They were told that the precinct would be raided and set on fire.  The Mayor told them to leave.  I assume hoping not to clean up/rebuild the building and prevent deaths.   

Not a "vegan hippie commune".....  Peaceful hippies do not patrol with ARs and "stop and frisk" those as they enter. Do not demand protection money from businesses or local people (over 500 residential homes in this CHAZ given away by this Mayor)  

No police are allowed in the area.  The police can answer the 911 call and take a report.  But they are not getting inside.  

Some have self-declared themselves to be the police of the area as well.  

Yes, they will be driven out.  I do not know it the locals will have the strength to do it. But it will happen.  As the "hippies" have stated they will not leave until their demands are met.  Dismantle police, dismantle courts, resignation of the Mayor....for starters. This post was edited by my2cents at June 11, 2020 11:39 AM MDT
      June 11, 2020 11:33 AM MDT

What are you reading?!?

The mayor says the protests are peaceful. There are photos of police officers in uniform inside the area today and reports from people inside indicate that they've been there the whole time. There have been no official police reports saying that people are being threatened or intimidated by armed assailants. The police have heard by word of mouth that it's happening but have not gotten any real reports and have not seen it. 

This is being blown way out of proportion and sensationalized.
      June 11, 2020 8:21 PM MDT

I have seen the video/picts (below) of the people patrolling their borders with ARs.  I seen video of the rapper Raz Simone attacking a man who seemed to be interviewing him while live streaming (below) and others confronting a  guy up because he was spray painting over someone else's graffiti.   The person filming told him to leave for his safely....he ran and was followed. In this video is where they say WE are the police now.  This video are not twitter...cannot post it here. (I will see if I can find it on youtube) 

"The video shows the confrontation escalate quickly as Simone's entourage demands the tagger leave, as shoving breaks out and someone shouts 'chill, chill!'

Shouting continues as the tagger is driven away and followed for several several blocks.

'For your own safety, you need to go,' the woman filing the video is heard telling the tagger at one point. 'We had to get to the point where physically addressing it was the best way to get our point across.' 

Simone has called for the long-term occupation of the area, tweeting: 'Come out now & hold it down.'

'We’ll be here as long as it takes so bring a tent and a blanket,' he added. " 

Picts of the men armed with ARs patrolling their border.

Police say they have received complaints that protesters are demanding cash to enter the zone, as well as 'protection fees' from businesses under their control.

Seattle Police Assistant Chief Deanna Nollette said at a press conference on Wednesday that, while Washington is an open carry state where firearms are allowed, it is a crime to use them to threaten or intimidate others.

Here is a video of Police Chief Best confirming there were threats to destroy the precinct (vandalism/arson),  also how they officers fought for days to hold the building (some officers even being hurt---peaceful protesters do not hurt police or anyone else), confirms there are people saying the businesses being extorted (no there are not any official reports...likely out of fear IMHO), people being checked for ID etc by these people patrolling the border. 

Video of the new police...attacking a person

https://twitter.com/i/status/1271291958296604675

Seattle Police Chief: "Rapes, robberies and all sorts of violent acts have been occurring in the area and we're not able to get to [them]."

June 12, 2020 10:04 AM MDT

You know the old parable about the three blind men and the elephant? Each one touches a different part and describes the animal differently. I feel like that's what's happening here. 
      June 15, 2020 11:47 AM MDT

The  mayor seems to be a nutbar.
      June 12, 2020 9:25 PM MDT

The mayor of Seattle is head of the executive branch of the city government. The mayor is then authorized by the city charter to enforce the laws enacted by the city council. So unless those laws enacted by the City Council include giving up part of the city and to remove the police officers, this whole allowing people to take over part of the city situation should never have happened. Nor should it be allowed to happen again.

This Seattle situation and the riots around the country are not spontaneous events. There clearly was no reason for the mass riots taking place around the country after the death of the individual at the hands of the police in Minneapolis. These riots and takeovers reek of coordinated planned events. Just my opinion of course.

June 11, 2020 7:42 PM MDT

Correct
      June 12, 2020 9:32 PM MDT

you need to ask them this question
      June 13, 2020 2:40 PM MDT