Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Travel » If you’ve ever been to a red light district, in which city was it in or which cities were they in?

If you’ve ever been to a red light district, in which city was it in or which cities were they in?

~

Posted - June 12, 2020

Responses

It was in downtown Sacramento.  Every traffic light turned red the instant I approached it!
      June 12, 2020 9:45 PM MDT

Hey, wait . . .

June 13, 2020 6:40 AM MDT

Of course.  They have cameras on those things to make sure that you do wait... and wait... and wait... and wait.........
      June 13, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

I second that motion!!
    We must have been driving on that same day.

Jeezers!!!
    Talk about never catching a light green!!
    What sort of timer do they have those lights on?
      June 13, 2020 9:06 AM MDT

Baltimore Street where I use to get my adult magazines. Not the hardcore mags, but only the big boob stuff. I guess I grew out of it because I haven't been there in 20 years.
      June 12, 2020 9:46 PM MDT

Amsterdam 'De  Wallen' in the name of the main red light district of the city.
      June 12, 2020 10:19 PM MDT

You stole my answer...that's where I was. Were you in the Navy at the time? We made a port call there.
      June 13, 2020 10:34 AM MDT

During my 9 years in the RCN I made one visit to Amsterdam. I think there was only one red light district at the time.  A whole block or so of bikini clad young ladies presenting themselves inside the bay windows of the houses. $8.00 Canadian for 1/2 hour. That would be around 1970.
      June 13, 2020 10:44 AM MDT

I can't help but smile... I can imagine it was "the time of your life," in one way or the other!
    ;) :)!!
      June 13, 2020 11:01 AM MDT

It seemed that about half of Amsterdam is the red light district. 
      June 13, 2020 1:20 AM MDT

Well, I drove past a Detroit strip club located on Dix Ave.  The sign out front said 'Chix on Dix'.  I didn't go in.
      June 13, 2020 4:32 AM MDT

;) :)!!
      June 13, 2020 9:07 AM MDT

I have never purposefully been to or through a red light district, but when I was a student in Sheffield in the '90s it wasn't always easy to avoid it if you were going anywhere on foot. In those days it was centred on the Broomhall neighbourhood and the western fringes of the city centre, but didn't seem to have clearly defined boundaries. Sheffield had a notorious reputation back then for its tolerance of on-street prostitution, and does today for the profusion of "massage" parlours in the Attercliffe area. 
      June 13, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

This was long ago in 
    Amsterdam. Quite unique.
    Place after place all lit in red,
    with a lady standing in the doorway
    inviting you in....
    Didn't even enjoy
    the invites...
    but was tempted hahaha
    Was on a spiritual trip to India
    so just passing through...
    ...Oh dear the memories have returned.
    In Amsterdam, someone gave me LSD
    and then they took me to a house
    full of LSDers. Made it to a room where three people 
    were sitting in meditation. Ahhh i was home.
    The next thing i remember all of us had
    levitated and was hanging out near the ceiling
    when someone walked into the room
    saw us up there and we all came down.
     the next morning someone woke me
    from me sleeping on the floor and said the party was over.
    What a trip...
    sorry, i just remembered all of that.

June 13, 2020 7:01 AM MDT

You have nothing to be sorry about, Baba.
    On the contrary, 
    thanks for taking us on "the trip," in a delicate sort of way, with you!!
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 13, 2020 10:36 AM MDT
      June 13, 2020 9:10 AM MDT

L.A.
    Denver
    Outskirts of Nashville
    Portland, Oregon

June 13, 2020 9:12 AM MDT

Hmmm. Never mind, silly question.
      June 13, 2020 10:37 AM MDT

Big Giggles!  You would definitely be heading down the Rabbit Hole, if you perused any further...

Big Winks and Smiles!!
      June 13, 2020 10:58 AM MDT

King's Cross, Sydney. There was a book I needed for university and the only place that sold it was a bookstore in Potts Point. You can only get there through the Cross.
      June 13, 2020 10:50 AM MDT

never heard of that
      June 13, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

Soho, London. 

It didn't seem like a "Red Light District", maybe it was a former one. I wasn't impressed with it. 
      June 13, 2020 2:57 PM MDT

Phoenix. My best friend in junior high/ high school was three years older than me and he had a car. The main area for working women was Van Buren Street back then. It still kind of is but not to the same degree. Back in the day, it was fully occupied and everyone associated the street with it. You'd only hear "Van Buren" in hushed tones or alongside giggles. 

Anyway, back then, my BFF was three years older than me and he had a car. We'd go driving down Van Buren for entertainment. I was always so shocked when we'd see the women. Just being there was taboo. We went there a lot. I really don't remember how much but it was kind of our go-to. We never stopped or talked to anyone but driving the area was our thing. Makes me all sentimental now. lol 
      June 13, 2020 10:50 PM MDT

Feeling sentimental?  Perhaps I should see if I can install you there for nostalgia‘s sake.

~

June 14, 2020 12:00 AM MDT

I can totally see that.
    :) :)
    It's that feeling of doing something way beyond your normal.  Still being good but bad all at once and curiosity gets the best of you.  Knowing it isn't our "district" but feel connected to it in a way you are too embarrassed to admit.  Having a BFF that is guilty AND willing to feel those feelings with you and keeping your secret, safe.  Never wanting to act on it but STILL really FUN thinking you might.  Never getting caught because you and your BFF KNOW it isn't your walk of life but still like to ponder,....
    What would it be like.
    Sentimental is good.  Thank goodness you didn't actually act on it or live it past your boundary.
    I do not have a problem with any red light district.  It is a way of life.  Who am I to say bringing pleasure to another even for just 3 minutes and make money isn't worth just as much as making your money on the stock market?
    They both are a gamble but one is for certain to bring a "happy ending" while the other is legal.  Happy Endings are at high risk with high stakes. 
    Who is the smarter cat with this gamble?
    Rhetorical question.
    ;) :)
      June 14, 2020 2:57 AM MDT