Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you think stupidity/being stupid should be considered a disability?

Do you think stupidity/being stupid should be considered a disability?

Posted - June 12, 2020

Responses

In some cases it is literally exactly that. Approximately 2-3 % of the population has an IQ below 70, meaning they cannot function well enough to look after themselves and need help. Of these, around 2/3rds are male and 1/3rd female.

Fragile X syndrome (FXS) is a genetic disorder characterised by mild-to-moderate intellectual disability and distinctive physical traits such as over-sized protruding ears and a long, narrow face. The IQ ranges from 40 to 70. It can often be co-morbid with autism.

Downs Syndrome is another form which is genetic, caused by an abnormal (mutated) gene, more common from mothers over 40.

Cretinism is caused by lack of iodine in utero and after birth.

ADD and ADHD are most commonly caused by the mother smoking while pregnant and breastfeeding, but 10% is caused by brain damage from other causes such as meningitis, concussion or accidents.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is caused by mothers drinking (alcohol) while pregnant. 

Malnutrition in utero and up to two years of age has an extremely severe effect on brain development, but can adversely affect children's intelligence at any age.

Environmental poisons such as lead and mercury can cause severe toxicity and brain damage. This post was edited by inky at June 13, 2020 10:27 AM MDT
      June 12, 2020 10:54 PM MDT

Interesting ...thanks. 
      June 12, 2020 11:02 PM MDT

The proper word is "challenged."

June 13, 2020 12:16 AM MDT

For some it's a blessing it seems ....If trump could stand out of his body and hear and  the things he does and says......I just cannot believe how that person ever got elected....he's the most uncharacteristic person I've ever heard speak....
    When Blair use to speak on tv ...with his wierd facial tick and mannerisms...he used to make me feel physically sick....How many deaths was that fool concious.....do you think it effects either of them,more then likely not.. 
      June 13, 2020 5:11 AM MDT

Only stupid until we wise up huh?
    Hopefully a temporary disability.
      June 13, 2020 7:22 AM MDT

:) :)!!
      June 13, 2020 8:55 AM MDT

If it is a condition that cannot be helped, yes, it is considered a disability. 
      June 13, 2020 7:37 AM MDT

I agree!
    :) :)
      June 13, 2020 8:55 AM MDT

Stupid is a fragile word.
    Depending on how you use it in a sentence, it can be debilitating just by calling someone "stupid."  Talk about an ego crash. :(

If you continue to tell and treat someone as "stupid," they may start believing it.  They might even become it.

What seems stupid to one might not be stupidity at all but merely naivety.

It is a word I steer away from. 

This post was edited by Merlin at June 13, 2020 10:28 AM MDT
      June 13, 2020 9:01 AM MDT

Sometimes a person might actually be slightly hearing impaired (permanently or temporarily) and misunderstand or not 'get the real picture' of what they were to be listening to. 
    "What's the matter with you,  you not listen to what you were told (or are you stupid)"
      June 13, 2020 10:16 AM MDT

So true kittigate. :) :)
    Communication, or lack there of, leads others to draw their own conclusions.  
    Don is hard of hearing in his right ear.  We play a game with it. If one of us know what the other said can't be right, we repeat it back.
    Example:
    I said, "I saw Roger today when I left the jobsite on the way to Neills."
    Don sits there for a moment and a moment longer... way too long for him not to have answered, and finally comes back with,
    "You saw a Dodger in May, and left the jobsite.  You had to pay Neill."
    We laugh about how you hear what you think you heard and know it is wrong but the outcome is hilarious.
    This IS a way of communicating and making sure the message you're sharing is heard.  The appropriate answer can then be given.
    It's really funny sometimes.
    Instead of being frustrated with it.  I have made it a game. 
    He is hard of hearing in that ear because he has been a contrator for so long.  It is work related and can't help it.  Having saws, drills, hammering, and co-workers yelling is a constant strain on the little ear drum.
    I understand.  It is a quirky thing I love about him, anyway....
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 13, 2020 12:21 PM MDT
      June 13, 2020 11:25 AM MDT

That's fine if you can tolerate your guy's hearing impairment and it's not too much of a problem for him. I been wearing a hearing aid for more than 20 years now and it helps quite a bit. I had gotten in a habit of pretending I could make out what someone was saying to me but that did not work well all the time but it would be annoying if I had kept having to ask "uh, what did you say?" all the time. 
      June 13, 2020 11:42 AM MDT

I'm glad you don't say, "I'm sorry," when you would like someone to repeat themselves.
    In fact, for a while, I was hurt if Don didn't ask what I was saying.  That is why it became a game.
    I would rather have you say, "uh, what did you say?" all the time than feel like you didn't care and not answer at all. ;) 
    Hearing aides are NOT a bad thing nor are they unsightly.
    In fact, people who are nosy and want to hear conversations they aren't invited to wear them all the time.
    I'm glad to hear you don't feel it is an impairment.  It is a fact of life and you are BY NO MEANS, stupid.  
    I can attest to this and I'm SURE Anyone who has had the pleasure of knowing you will agree.
    :) :)
      June 13, 2020 11:50 AM MDT

Stupidity, as in lacking or failing to use common sense, is NOT a disability.  
    Stupid, as in lacking knowledge, is not a disability.
      June 13, 2020 10:33 AM MDT

Yeah like buying too much stuff (on cfedit) that one does not really need or paying too much for something  (a service or product) because one did not shop around or omitted doing a bit of basic research to get proper evaluation. 
    Sounds a bit like me ha ha.
      June 13, 2020 11:10 AM MDT

depends on what youre doing when youre being stupid
      June 13, 2020 1:39 PM MDT