Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » Was Gandhi a racist?

Was Gandhi a racist?

Posted - June 14, 2020

Responses

I don't think Gandhi thought of people by color or race.  I think he thought of people by their actions.

The way I understand Gandhi was a believer in, "action speaks louder than words."
    It didn't matter to him your color, creed, or race. I don't think it even mattered to him where you lived or grew up.

No.  It didn't matter what you looked like.  It mattered what you were going to do about making a change.  Take action without hurting one another.  Others will listen. 

This post was edited by Merlin at June 14, 2020 10:24 AM MDT
      June 14, 2020 3:59 AM MDT

I’m not sure it’s completely accurate that he didn’t think of people by color or race.  He certainly advocated on the part of his country and its peoples in the struggle for independence from the British, and he did so from the perspective of humanity and human rights. He also had to think of the numerous sects that have existed in India for centuries, especially because some rivaled with others. In order to gain independence through peaceful means, he had to balance the British on one hand and appeasement of tribal or sectarian differences on the other. Everything he did required knowing how to deal with different cultures and customs, all of which is based on or part of color and race. 

It might be more accurate to state that he may not have looked negatively upon people braces on the colors or races. 

~

June 14, 2020 7:23 AM MDT

You seems to be knowing very less about Gandhi, if you're referring to the same person I'm talking about!
      June 14, 2020 4:30 AM MDT

• I'm genuinely curious.
      June 14, 2020 4:44 AM MDT

Get on some reading!
      June 14, 2020 4:56 AM MDT

Mohandas, no. Rajiv, apparently so by what I've heard.
    Mohandas K "Mahatma" Gandhi opposed the British Raj for much the same reasons that British America had revolted almost 200 years earlier - exploitation. He had first encountered extreme racism in South Africa, where he had gone after completing a law degree at Oxford (he had won a Rhodes Scholarship). He was driven out of South Africa for inciting non-violent non-cooperation among the "Cape Coloureds", a term used by the apartheid regime to describe POC who were not African - mostly Indian but also included Chinese, Polynesian and mixed-race folks. He found much the same thing when he returned home and was now mature enough to recognise and understand it. Like Jesus, he had no patience with hypocrisy. "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike Christ."
      June 14, 2020 4:53 AM MDT

What does “POC” mean, please?
    ~
      June 14, 2020 7:26 AM MDT

People of Color
      June 14, 2020 8:01 AM MDT

Thank you. It’s always seemed to me that there are no people who are not of color. 

~

June 14, 2020 8:31 AM MDT

Gandhi was only concerned about raising the equality of his race to the whites.

Collected Works Of Mahatma Gandhi...

“A general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa. Even the children are taught to believe in that manner, with the result that the Indian is being dragged down to the position of a raw Kaffir.”

(kaffir is a racist slur used to refer to an individual of Nguni ancestry. In the form of cafri, it evolved during the pre-colonial period as an equivalent of "negro).

“In the face, too, of financial operations, the success of which many of their detractors would envy, one fails to understand the agitation which would place the operators in the same category as the half-heathen Native and confine him to Locations, and subject him to the harsher laws by which the Transvaal Kaffir is governed.”

When one reflects that the conception of Brahmanism, with its poetic and mysterious mythology, took its rise in the land of the ‘Coolie trader,’ that in that land 24 centuries ago, the almost divine Buddha taught and practised the glorious doctrine of self-sacrifice, and that it was from the plains and mountains of that weird old country that we have derived the fundamental truths of the very language we speak, one cannot but help regretting that the children of such a race should be treated as equals of the children of black heathendom and outer darkness. Those who, for a few moments, have stayed to converse with the Indian trader have been, perhaps, surprised to find they are speaking to a scholar and a gentleman…. And it is the sons of this Land of light who are despised as Coolies, and treated as Kaffirs.”

“So far as the feeling has been expressed, it is to degrade the Indian to the position of the Kaffir.”

While, in other parts of South Africa, it is the railway officials who make the lot of the 1st and 2nd class passengers on the railway intolerable, the Transvaal people have gone one better in that there the law prohibits the Indians from travelling 1st or 2nd class. They are, irrespective of position, huddled together in the same compartment with the natives of South Africa.”

This post was edited by kjames at June 14, 2020 3:59 PM MDT
      June 14, 2020 1:06 PM MDT

I am just sick to death of the calling people racist. That is just people trying their best to divide us when they especially have no other argument. Just used to try and get their way as most do not want to be called that so bend to avoid it.
      June 16, 2020 8:36 AM MDT

i would hope not
      June 21, 2020 2:55 PM MDT