Active Now

my2cents
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Why is sunny, dry weather (almost) universally acknowledged as the best kind of weather?

Why is sunny, dry weather (almost) universally acknowledged as the best kind of weather?

I've spent a lifetime, ever since a young boy, preferring cloudy, rainy weather over oppressive, overbearing, in-your-face Sun Weather.
I'm alone on this.
Subtle but strong universal constant messages tell me I am wrong about my weather preference.
Unlike generally-accepted individual opinions and individual preferences in various categories like music and movies, when it comes to weather, the only beautiful weather is sunny weather. (And I prefer the night over the day -- that's another whole topic.)

Just a few examples:

"Annie" -- "The sun will come out, tomorrow! bet your bottom dollar there'll be sun."

"Everything will look better in the morning."

"Get out there and enjoy that sunny weather!"

Meteorologists -- "Okay, the clouds and the possibility of rain will remain with us for the the next few days, but hang in there, by Thursday, beautiful weather will be back and the sun and warm temps will be back with us!"

"I get up early and make sure to see the glorious sunrise every day."  (I prefer sunsets -- the sun going away is the most beautiful time of day for me.)

"It's always darkest before the dawn."

Since I was a child, that annoying-to-me fable about how the sun and the wind have a challenge on who could make a man take his coat off. The sun wins of course by gently warming the man -- as opposed to nasty wind. Moral -- Sun Is Better.  (Granted -- getting a man to take anything off might be a good thing for me . Ha!)

Posted - June 15, 2020

Responses

Yeah, you're right.
     I see now I did not really mean "universally" even though I used that word in my question. I assumed for myself I was not counting rain needed for farmers and agriculture and things like that. And Nevan B brought up another valid point, too.
    In my question I meant weather only in the "What kind of weather do you like?" type of thing.
    :)
      June 15, 2020 2:58 PM MDT

I'm like you. I feel comfortable in cool weather, and I get hot very quickly in warm weather. I'm amazed why people like to sunbathe, because to me it looks like pure torture. Maybe it's because I'm really, really, REALLY white! lol 
      June 15, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

I, too, have never liked just lying in the sun. If I'm doing something outside, I can by OK. But just lying there in the sun doing nothing but just lying there in the sun? Ug. :)

And I'm blond and very fair skinned -  I easily burn.
      June 16, 2020 6:59 PM MDT

Sounds just like me...well, except for the blond hair. lol 

June 16, 2020 8:45 PM MDT

June 16, 2020 8:48 PM MDT

I like partly cloudy days with a cool breeze.  I don't like hot sunny humid days and nights.   We are in rainy season now and I love it.  It rains most every day from June to September, not all day but an hour or so in the afternoon.  I like cool/cold weather and enjoyed the snow when I lived in the Pacific Northwest.  I should move back to the mountains as that is my favorite but I feel like we'll stay here for a few years now. 
      June 16, 2020 7:49 PM MDT

For some reason, I only now came across your answer, sorry! yup, cloudy days and a cool breeze is so nice to me.
    I think I'd enjoy the Pacific Northwest, too.
      October 25, 2020 7:29 PM MDT