Discussion » Questions » Family » What is one of your best recollections of something your father did that impressed you about him? ~

What is one of your best recollections of something your father did that impressed you about him? ~

Posted - June 21, 2020

Responses

He adopted me,
    and gave me a home.
    and He taught me the
    construction trades
    that i use today.
     Auto accident when 
    i was 13 took him away
    but what an awesome dude.
      June 21, 2020 12:21 PM MDT

My mother's brother was the positive male role model in my life.  God knows how I would have turned out without him.  He was kind, gentle, and interested in others. He had a distinctive voice which I enjoyed.  I remember him at Christmas smoking his pipe, sitting in his big chair, he was awesome. I sure do miss him. He wore a leather jacket and an Indiana Jones hat, was much better looking than Harrison Ford.  He had this old typewriter, way old school, before the electric typewriter even.  My Uncle would two finger type fairly fast.  He could play the Organ and had a very big one he must have gotten out of a small church.  I sure do miss him. 
      June 21, 2020 1:01 PM MDT

the way he was a hard worker, he was a tailor
      June 21, 2020 1:48 PM MDT

My father was a 'mean' drunk.  He was not easy to like.  However, he was some sort of 'war hero' from WW2. He did some stuff I could not do. He was a paratrooper and jumped out of airplanes during the Normandy Invasion and also Holland. Then for a year or two had to endure the horrors of war as the allies finished off the enemy soldiers in Germany. 
      June 21, 2020 3:23 PM MDT

My dad was quite kind to strangers and most animals. 
      June 21, 2020 5:18 PM MDT

Exactly the same as yours.
      June 21, 2020 5:51 PM MDT

You’re impressed by that?

[For those who are not aware of what I mean, I have never known my biological father, his name, his likeness, nor anything else about him. Once he impregnated my mother, he was on his way, never entered my life.
    Element 99’s father left the family when Element was young.]

June 21, 2020 8:47 PM MDT

No...not impressed.
      June 22, 2020 9:26 AM MDT

My best memory of him was him teaching me to ride a bike.  I had to be less than five years old. 
      June 21, 2020 8:34 PM MDT

Dad took my older siblings and a couple of friends and me to see "Night of the Living Dead" for the first time. I was about 13.
    It was the third feature of a triple feature at a drive-in theater. So, it was pretty late when we saw the movie.
    Dad had been working in the garage the whole day and he hadn't changed clothes before we went to the movies. 
    He wore work pants and a white T-shirt.

At some point during "Night of the Living Dead," Dad walked to the concession stand. On his way back to our car, and we in the car saw him clearly, he started to walk in a slow shuffling way, limp armed, like one of the living dead. We saw several people jump in fright in their cars when Dad shuffled by their cars! Ha!

He laughed loudly with us when he got back into our car.

One of my favorite memories. :)

June 22, 2020 8:57 AM MDT

June 22, 2020 9:00 AM MDT

I saw your question again and I love remembering my dad and what he did here again.  :)
      September 25, 2022 6:43 PM MDT

Classic.
      June 22, 2020 9:27 AM MDT

Thanks, Element 99!
    I totally agree!
    :)
      June 22, 2020 9:29 AM MDT

I saw this question just now -- my dad doing this will always be so fun for me to remember! And that entire night was a blast. :)   
    And, yes -- that was the first time I saw what quickly became, and remains (as we all know here, ha) my favorite movie - - "Night of the Living Dead," yup.
    Thanks again for what you wrote here, too.  :)
      September 25, 2022 6:47 PM MDT