Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Spunky
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » The wheel was invented a long time ago; how do you think the designer was inspired to come up with the wheel idea?

The wheel was invented a long time ago; how do you think the designer was inspired to come up with the wheel idea?

Eg.. a stone craftsman inventing stone toys for stoneage kids to play with -have fun rolling these things around on the ground.. Then somebody got an idea that wheels could be useful for building chariots or something. 
Or somebody needed a potter's wheel to make it easier to fashion their clay pots..

Posted - June 26, 2020

Responses

Probably a log used as a trolley to help shift heavy weights.
      June 27, 2020 12:58 AM MDT

Yep ... then the log broke in the middle, and they realized they didn't need a log under the entire length - just at a few strategic spots (like the corners).
      June 29, 2020 1:50 PM MDT

His wife kept nagging him, “You never take me anywhere.”

~

June 27, 2020 7:06 AM MDT

Square wheels just wouldn't roll
      June 27, 2020 3:30 PM MDT

The inspiration probably was as Slartibartfast suggests, rolling things on logs; but I doubt we'll ever know how they made that jump from complete logs that you have to keep putting back under the front of the load, to Walt's discs at each corners, on axles fixed to the load.

I have wondered further though. It's all very well putting a great big slab of rock on tree-trunks to move it, but what's to stop the logs sinking into the ground? I wonder if they would also lay logs along the path, for the rollers to work on. It would also make the rolling a bit less of an effort.  

It's curious philosophical point that is comparatively easy to experiment to determine how ancient peoples made and used the tools they had - even knapping flints or erecting monoliths - but not to recreate the insight they had to develop something previously totally unknown but which we take for granted, such as the wheel.  Perhaps it is because we are so familiar with it that we cannot imagine firstly life without it, then the flashes of inspiration that first created it. 
      August 6, 2020 2:57 PM MDT