Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » When and how did you become a Christian?

When and how did you become a Christian?

Posted - July 3, 2020

Responses

At my christening, I guess. I was held over a marbled sink/bath thingy, and the priest poured some freshly blessed holy water over my noggin. Then I was raised high for all to have a gander. 

July 3, 2020 5:52 PM MDT

"Sprinkling of babies is a scandalous waste of water." That was the title of my final year thesis when I earned my theology degree, and probably why my candidacy for the ministry was rejected.
    That kind of commitment can only be made by an adult, or at least a child old enough to vocalise the desire to be baptised and elucidate a valid reason why.
      July 4, 2020 12:59 AM MDT

I was not raised with any religion or discussion of religion in my family, and by the time I was in grade one it was illegal to discuss religion in school where I grew up , So never. 
      July 3, 2020 6:04 PM MDT

I was born and raised into it.  For generations now, my family has been Christian by faith, National Baptist by religion. It traces back at least to my maternal grandfather, who was born in the 1920s and raised in the American Midwest, and most likely back to his father’s time and his grandfather’s time.

You?

~

July 3, 2020 8:15 PM MDT

As a baby, I was baptized in a Christian church. However, an incident at age 8(?) brought me to Christianity. You see, I was always a gentle sort, never fighting back against bullies, avoiding violence, and never harming any living creatures.  However, I noticed through media that birds called ' Starlings' were being blamed for eating crops in our area. This really angered me. So one day I found a starling nest in one of our cherry trees. It had little baby starlings in it, down inside the trunk. I poured gasoline in and lite it on fire. This did not kill them all, so I got a stick and jabbed down the hole in an effort to kill them. I became ashamed of my murderous attack on the young birds and requested that my mother start taking me to church with her every Sunday. Today, you will find 40 wooden birdhouses on my land, dedicated to the birds. 
      July 3, 2020 8:27 PM MDT

How - I was baptized into Christ.
    When - I believe I was 27.

July 3, 2020 9:41 PM MDT

When I was about age 16. We had Young People's classes weekly for a few months then in church one Sunday we were 'confirmed'. 
    United Church of Canada. 
      July 3, 2020 10:18 PM MDT

Raised RC, took my wife's faith shortly after marriage (I had my true spiritual awakening in my teens and was only staying in the Catholic Church for my mother's peace of mind).
    I toyed with the idea of returning to Catholicism via the schismatic Old Catholic church for a while (they never ratified the first Vatican Council, mainly because Leo IX didn't invite their bishops - he knew he'd face opposition from them). Sort of like what the mainstream Catholic Church should be if they bothered to get out of the Middle Ages. Dropped the idea completely after the death of John Paul II when the College of Cardinals elected a Nazi as Pope. Jesus was a Jew, Josef Ratzinger cannot possibly represent Him as Vicar on Earth.
      July 4, 2020 12:55 AM MDT

Never.  I was born a Jew and will die a Jew although I do not practice that or any other religion.
      July 4, 2020 6:26 AM MDT

Went to Catholic High school.
    By the time i graduated i 
    did not believe in Religion
    and that it would open the door to God.
    I didn't even believe there was a God at that point.
         After the US Navy and college
    one day I had an experience of being with God.
    Overwhelming it was...and I knew there was
    the Realm of God that I needed to know
    completely.
         Dropped out of College in my Senior year
    and went to India. It  was as if i was being 
    taken by the hand on this Journey.
    Studying with a few Spiritual Masters
    my heart was opened. All of them took
    me to God within myself.
    Learning Meditation was the key to
    getting beyond the mind.
         Many years later i was in a stupid dream
    and all of a sudden the dream faded and many children
    materialized from the right side and were placing offerings of many 
    kinds of fruit. I was still attached to the dream
    and i tossed all of the offerings off of the bed, saying
    that i didn't ask for this.
         At that point Jesus came down from above
    with one person in back of Jesus coming in from the side.
    I yelled at Jesus because of what was happening in the dream
    He waved his hand and my voice was taken away.
    At that point i was out of the bad dream and there was Jesus
    talking to me. What an experience.
        So in no way am i part of the Christian Religion.
    Religions talk in circles around the truth without
    giving you the direct experience of God Realization.
         But Meditation within oneself will open the door to God.
    It's just that simple. Beyond our attachments, and
    beyond a mind constantly in Thought, when the mind 
    is silent and no thoughts running through it,
    Christ Consciousness reveals itself.
         Simply be still and all is revealed.
    When the Ego dissolves the best of life
    becomes apparent.
    ...Sorry for such a long answer 
    but it was the only way for me
    to answer your question.
    Cheers

This post was edited by Baba at July 4, 2020 12:09 PM MDT
      July 4, 2020 10:29 AM MDT

Quite fastinating! 
      July 4, 2020 1:50 PM MDT

Never, and I don't wish to be.
      July 4, 2020 9:36 PM MDT

i went to Catholic Church as a child until like 7th grade when I learned about evolution and then I was like na, this is  a scam 
      July 4, 2020 9:41 PM MDT

When? In 1975. How? There were many things that happened leading up to the moment I believed. But to be concise, after reading the Bible and by faith, I believed the Gospel (good news) which is that Jesus died for sinners on the cross, was buried and rose from the dead. (1 Corinthians 15:3-6) I was then baptized which is the symbolism of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ.
      July 6, 2020 11:02 AM MDT