Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "92% of public school funding comes from State and local governments leaving 8% from Feds. Big WOW! What a threat! Are you SKEERED?

"92% of public school funding comes from State and local governments leaving 8% from Feds. Big WOW! What a threat! Are you SKEERED?

Posted - July 9, 2020

Responses

Is 8% somehow supposed to be a threat? Early in our nation's history, lawmakers passed the 10th Amendment to the Constitution which is the basis for making education a "function of the states". Each school district is administered and financed by the community along with that district's "state" government.

The federal government has historically played a "minor" role in education, and in fact, the federal government did not issue any educational policy until the 1960s. The federal laws with the most impact on education concern: equal access to education, safeguarding students' constitutional rights, safeguarding teachers' constitutional rights. It's not the duty of the Federal government to fund everything. :)
      July 9, 2020 8:23 AM MDT

Then let them do what they want. 

Personally if I had young kids now. I would likely home school them permanently. (Not because of the virus but because of the things learned in public school)
      July 9, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

Yup. My daughter home schools my grandson because of what the public schools teach today.
      July 9, 2020 9:02 AM MDT

My daughter is considering it.  Will depend on finances.

I was always anti-home schooling when I was younger because the few that I knew were not taught very well.  Granted I only knew about 10 but of the 10 only 1 was properly taught. 
      July 9, 2020 9:08 AM MDT

I asked my daughter about the whole homeschooling thing. I asked her how do you determine whether or not their kids are being properly taught. My daughter is quite intelligent and knowledgable so I have no concerns there. I was just curious.

When I went through the public school system, the students were taught correctly by very knowledgable teachers. We actually learned! :) There were no issues then but today is a whole new ballgame.
      July 9, 2020 9:48 AM MDT