Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Family » Who read books to you when you were a child? Which of the books they read was your favourite, and why?

Who read books to you when you were a child? Which of the books they read was your favourite, and why?

Posted - July 16, 2020

Responses

(a recruit that who couldn’t)

The word “that” refers to objects, “who” refers to people.

July 17, 2020 12:22 PM MDT

Fascinating, an English major - I'm sure I would love her and learn heaps from her.
    I've read far fewer American novels than English and foreign ones (which I hope one day to remedy).

What little US lit. I have read:
    Barthe's The Sot Weed Factor,
    Kerouac's On the Road,
    Morrison's Belovéd,
    Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird,
    Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin.
    Poe - several short stories
    (quite a bit of American SciFi thrown in)

poets: Langston Hughes, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Maya Angelou, Sylvia Plath

If you have any that you recommend, I'd add them to my list of must reads. This post was edited by inky at July 21, 2020 3:58 PM MDT
      July 19, 2020 4:20 AM MDT

One of the most fascinating authors of non-fiction I’ve ever read is named Trevanian. Quite a mysterious person, as I am sure is the intention. It’s been over thirty years, long before the internet was as popular and widespread as it is today, so I’m sure an internet search could turn something up. 

Like you, Poe is one of my favorites. Typical of many people, I’ve read a great deal of Stephen King. Dean Koontz is another science fiction author whose works are really good. Rita Mae Brown, James A. Michener, James Clavell, Alice Walker, Amy Tan, the list goes on and on. 

~

July 19, 2020 7:08 AM MDT

That's a broad range of genres and style, from pop to high lit.
    I'll select a few and see how many of them I can get through when the summer break comes.
    I've read quite a bit of sci-fi, so I'm a bit surprised that I haven't encountered Koontz.
    Will look up Trevanian.

I still think you would make a great writer if you chose it.
      July 21, 2020 3:39 PM MDT

Thank you. Over the decades, I’ve had many people express to me their encouragement that I take up writing. (Now that I think about it, the first time was when my seventh grade Creative Writing teacher said it. I had written a short story in first person from the point of view of a girl who had a twin sister. My teacher was extremely impressed with the empathy I came up with in getting inside a 12-year-old girl’s head.)
    ~

July 21, 2020 4:34 PM MDT

I've noticed your talent for empathy too.
    You tune in almost instantly.

But it's more than that; you have much higher than averages skill with words, when the whim takes you you're highly creative and whimsical, you're a thinker, and I imagine that with your background you've accumulated a lot of stories. Some of them would connect with the deep social themes that drive contemporary literature. And now you're retired you may have the time.

On the other hand, it's sometime one has to want to do - no point others suggesting it if it doesn't appeal.

What are your hopes and directions for retirement?
      July 21, 2020 11:07 PM MDT

I share the sentiments of those encouraging well-wishers who have said I should write. I’d love to put out some fiction works and even non-fiction. On the side of reality, I’ve read about more than a few published authors’ struggles to finally realize their goals, and I know my own mother‘s lifelong journey along those lines, and while it’s not all doom and gloom, nor is it strictly disconcerting, it’s certainly sobering. You have also recounted your goals and the paths leading to them, so I want you to know that I do pay attention to what you write.

I believe the possibility exists that I may do some serious writing some day.

~

July 22, 2020 12:42 AM MDT

Yippee! (Jumps up and down with delight.)
    Let me know when you're ready and I'll share a list of my favourite how-to-write books.
    There are pathways to getting published. On average it takes about 10 years of prolific writing to active a publishable standard (with all the exceptions that any generalisation deserves).
    One path is via literary magazines. Once a writer has had about twelve pieces published, book publishers start to take notice. Another is winning a literary prize. Another is starting a writer's blog site and attracting a following. (I haven't done that yet but will when I leave uni.) Self publishing can work, but only if the writer is willing to put many hours into promotion and selling. I couldn't.
    And another is via GoodReads - I don't understand this one - haven't checked it out yet - but I've been told it's a good way to bypass publishers and attract online readers who pay for ebooks.

Literary friends are a great help because they're willing to give each other objective feedback.
      July 23, 2020 8:04 PM MDT

My mom, mostly but my Grammie and sister from time to time.

I still have some of the books they read to me as a child.

"Make Way For Ducklings!"
    "Where The Wild Things Are"
    "The Cat in the Hat"
    "The Grinch that Stole Christmas"
    "Twas the Night Before Christmas"
    "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"

I'm sure parts of the bible.  
    "Now I lay me down to sleep..."  I memorized that one.
    The Lords Prayer... I memorized this one, too.
    Johnny Appleseed

This post was edited by Merlin at July 21, 2020 3:16 PM MDT
      July 17, 2020 4:17 AM MDT

I remember some of those - reading them, not being read to.
    "Where The Wild Things Are", "The Cat in the Hat", "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" - great fun.
    I used to fantasise about what it would be like to live with, befriend and ride reindeer,
    and what it might be like to ride in a flying sleigh.

Sounds like you grew up in a lovely and loving family. :)
      July 21, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

My mother. She was a teacher. Mostly Enid Blytons, I enjoyed the tales of the Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair. She always stopped at cliffhangers - on purpose, she was encouraging my siblings and I to get curious enough to read them ourselves. When I got to kindergarten, I could read and the other kids couldn't - which made me a marked man. A pink monkey can't fit in with the brown monkeys unless he paints himself brown.
      July 17, 2020 6:40 AM MDT

Fascinating.
    These are classics and the literary standard is very high.
    Your Mum sounds like she was a brilliant teacher.

I had a similar experience when I first hit school, but for different reasons.
    My parents didn't read to me, but they never used baby language.
    Dad insisted on adult language, full vocabulary and correct syntax.
    So when I arrived at school I was a freak in the way I spoke, and of course the kids made fun of me.
    It took me far too long to understand what they found so weird about three and four syllable words.

How did your early experiences with language and stories affect your relationship with them now?
    Do you still love to read?
    If so, what genres do you enjoy most?
      July 21, 2020 3:26 PM MDT

Still a bibliophile, read when I don't have more pressing responsibilities, mostly sf and fantasy. Frank Herbert very successfully blurred the line between the two, as did Anne McCaffrey.
      July 21, 2020 4:49 PM MDT

I loved the Dune series.
    In some ways, I think Herbert saw some of the issues that relate to climate change.

McCaffery explored interesting issues in the "what if" category; how would families, work, and social relationships be different if people really did have psi and paranormal talents?
    The dragon series didn't do much for me.

I wonder what the best sci-fi topics would be now - what kinds of original themes related to the implications of new science and technology.
      July 21, 2020 11:13 PM MDT

My mother was the same way in regards to baby talk; she was not a proponent of it in any way, nor was slang or any other kind of street talk allowed in our household. I grew up with the understanding that it was akin to disrespect to speak to her that way, and of course, that extended to how we were expected to and allowed to speak to other people, not just adults, but all people. To me and for me, reading opened up so many other doors in many other aspects of everyday life that I have always enjoyed my love for it. In addition to being taught the alphabet and how to read AT HOME before even going to preschool, I can also remember being taught how to properly answer the telephone, how to greet people who knocked at the door, how to introduce myself and to respond when being introduced, the importance of pronouncing words correctly, how to look up words I didn’t understand, how to use reference books, etc.  Some components that I picked up as a direct result of learning to read were an uncanny ability at spelling, conjugation, synonyms, sentence structure, syntax, a broad vocabulary,  chronology in storytelling, and of course, it either all fed or was fed by my overly vivid imagination.

I began kindergarten through the second grade at a school of over 90% white students, and the corresponding education offered there was far better than that being belched out in the elementary schools closer to home. My mother first of all investigated the best options and then pulled strings to have her children sent all the way across town to the better school, an act of love for which I will forever be in her debt.

In those first three years, I was never made fun of or bullied about “my smarts”.  It was just an accepted fact amongst the peers that Randy and his siblings were smart kids. It wasn’t until the next school year when the politics of “forced” busing brought the advent of black students from my own neighborhood to those better schools, and students from the better schools being sent to the schools in my neighborhood. Each student spent half the school year in the home district and the other half bused to the other district. It was at that point that I first faced any ridicule or negativity for “talking white”, all of which came from my fellow black students. Of course, I was lumped onto the category of scorn that many of the black students had for the overall student body at the better school, but being black myself, and with so few black students originating at the better school, that scorn was multiplied. Being so young, I never let it faze me, never let my grades slip in order to fit in. On the contrary, I continued to be the sane kind of student I had always been, one who loved learning and loved school.

When I became a parent, I carried on my mother’s tradition of never using or allowing baby talk and/or slang to be my children’s primary forms of communication, I taught them to read shortly after they began to talk, and throughout their childhoods, I encouraged and reinforced the importance of getting good educations, among other positive life lessons. My wife and I are not grandparents (and the way things are going, we doubt we ever will be, we think we’re just going to skip it and become great-grandparents instead), but we look forward to yet another generation taking up that same mantle. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 23, 2020 3:07 PM MDT
      July 21, 2020 5:10 PM MDT

Just skip a generation, hey! Ha ha! :D

Well I suppose you could always adopt kids of great grand get age.

A deep bow to you, my friend - for your courage and steadfastness in the face of adversity and prejudice.

I was never so brave. I hid away in the narrow spaces between school buildings where I couldn't be found, and drew images of horses.

That connection of language with social identity happens here too. On NITV (National Indigenous TV) I can hear words given different meanings: cheeky for a deadly snake, deadly for someone amazingly talented or something excellent, powerful or delightful. Terms of respect are sister, brother, aunty, uncle for people who share no blood relationship. The senses of humour points to the ridiculous and crazy in human foibles. But there are also shifts, and sometimes deep rifts, between city and country language.

I've only ever heard African-American language in American film, rap poetry, and sometimes in interviews. I get the impression that it varies with regional accents. There's a whole vocab I don't understand - and I suspect it changes with each generation.

There can be great joy in local and cultural idioms. I have a book called The Joys of Yiddish, full of exquisite metaphors. Schmultz turns out to be goose fat; it's incredibly sweet, too sweet -- was spread on rye-carraway bread for a high energy food in the freezing cold of Northern European winters.

So for me, though I've learned and love literary English, I'm now curious about all the other kinds - and especially how they can be used to add to character in dialogue. The trick is, I'll have to develop an ear; there's nothing worse than getting in wrong.

One of the things I love best about novels is reading foreign writers. Naguib Mahfouz's Palace Walk, Oriana Fallichi's Inshallah, Rohington Mistry's A Fine Balance -- they all invoke time, place, and especially the social milieu, the different ways of thinking -- they help me learn in ways I'd otherwise have no access to.

July 21, 2020 11:42 PM MDT

No one. 
    ...was adopted
    step mom wasn't into me
    not a lot of love
    oh well...i survived.

July 17, 2020 7:01 AM MDT

Baaabaa.....
    I am so sorry.  You have always been so well-spoken. 
    I am not your adopted mom but if it helps any,
    I will read to you anytime you would like and I have admired and loved you for as long as I have known you and will continue to do so.
    Just let me know when and what you would like me to read.
    I will, happily!
    :) :)!!
      July 17, 2020 9:40 AM MDT

You're back! Yippee! :D
    How lovely to see you again!

(I was heartfire, scribbler and bookworm)
      July 19, 2020 10:40 AM MDT

You can repeat this as many times as you would like!!
    You have given me Happy Goosebumps!
    Thank you, my friend of many name but ALWAYS the title of "FRIEND!"
    Happy! Happy!
      July 21, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

You're back! Yippee! :D
    How lovely to see you again!

(I was heartfire, scribbler and bookworm)
      July 19, 2020 10:40 AM MDT

Duplicate post. 

July 19, 2020 11:14 AM MDT

You are so sweet!
    I never stay away by choice.  It was a move to protect all of you.
    My mom got hacked and we were informed to stay off and away from all social media.
    It killed me!!
    I am glad my month is over!
    Thank you inky!!
    It's GREAT to be back!!
    Happy!  Happy!
      July 21, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

More than survived.
    You found your way to a spiritual path
    and learned the arts of unconditional love.
    In a strange way, one could say that what was lacking then spurred you to seek what you needed.
    Not many find their way,
    so you've achieved a great deal.
      July 21, 2020 3:29 PM MDT

My mother, but it was much too long ago to recall the titles.  My sisters and nieces and nephews have carried on the tradition by reading to their children and I've often included a book or two with a birthday check.
      July 17, 2020 10:56 AM MDT