Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » If you’ve owned a few vehicles in your lifetime, it might be easy to say which was your favorite, or to rank your favorites. However,

If you’ve owned a few vehicles in your lifetime, it might be easy to say which was your favorite, or to rank your favorites. However,

this question asks the opposite; which has been your least favorite vehicle, and why?  If you care to list more than one vehicle as least favorites, please feel free to do so.

Mine were these two, a Ford Mustang and an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the latter being the worst of the pair.

The Mustang was my first and last sports car. I found it to be slung way too low for my preferences, the way the driver’s seat was designed was far too “laid back” and could not be adjusted differently, much too restrictive field of visibility, too difficult to be seen by other drivers. I learned that sports cars are not my choice, and I have shied away from them ever since.

When I was growing up, my stepfather always said that a car is nothing but a hole to throw money into, and 15 years later, I had to agree with that sentiment because I became the owner of the Olds. It had so many mechanical problems that I called myself a member of the Part-of-the-Month-Club. I poured so much money into that clunker that I could have bought a second car. Finally, before it bankrupted me completely, it died an agonizing death and only more money would have resuscitated it. I was spunt. Instead of falling for that old trick, I became carless for almost a year until my job situation and accompanying financial status improved enough for me to find a more reliable replacement.

~

Posted - July 16, 2020

Responses

That's easy - my '86 Nissan Pickup.

The POS suddenly decided it didn’t like running and would die at any opportunity.  Such as...

- In the middle of the freeway (I was fortunate enough to get it from the fast lane off onto the right shoulder before momentum gave out).

- On a very icy winter morning (causing me to slide helplessly off the road and, thankfully, into the curb instead of over the side of a hill).

-  In the entrance to work (blocking traffic and making me late to work)

-  And much more!

The Nissan dealer couldn’t find anything wrong with it.

July 16, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

I must say, I've know people over-the-hill but am glad you're not there, especially via Nissan!
    It's sad, too, because Don and I have a Nissan Xterra, year 2000. 
    It was one of the best investments we've ever made.  It has over 300,000  miles on it, has been driven hard, but cared for, and still has a heart.  It WANTS to get up and go to work, STILL.
    We've retired him and use him only on rare occasions. 
    I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Nissan.
    GREAT to SEE YA, THOUGH!!
    :) :)!!

July 17, 2020 3:08 AM MDT

Ooooh. I just remembered I should have included another car or two on my other list. I was going to say the Ford Tempo was my least favorite car, but the reason why I got the Ford Tempo hinges on a different car... or cars.  

The long story made short is that I was very trusting and very financially unsavvy as a teen. At age 18, I put a car for my boyfriend in my name. A few months later, I also cosigned on a car for my BFF.

Sadly, that meant that when I needed a car, only the crummy car places for people with bad credit would touch me and the ONLY thing they would sell me was an old Ford Tempo. It was very boxy and beaten. The windows were tinted purple and bubbling. The AC wasn't really functional and there was no heat. The sunroof leaked. The safety features were lacking too. And, yes, I paid through the nose for it... no doubt at least twice what it was worth once the interest and fees were calculated. 

What could possibly be worse than that? Well, the car I put in my name for my boyfriend, of course. Naturally, the relationship went south and he kept the car, but didn't make good on payments. I had to pay to get it caught up again, at which I had a friend take the car and assume responsibility for the payments. But, she didn't keep up either. I took it back from her and got it caught back up, then made the same arrangement with a coworker. She also did not keep up with payments. Then, I made the same deal with my brother. Now, I think I did him a solid because it was worth more than what was owed on it by the time he got it, but he'd still come to me like it was my responsibility to help him with things like repairs and dead batteries. I'm sure he'd argue that it was my responsibility to do that as some sort of warranty or something since I "sold" him the car. In any case, I eventually just paid it off and told him to consider it a gift. 

I could argue that the car was never really mine. It wasn't supposed to be mine. But, technically, it was, and that means it qualifies as the worst. Bah.
      July 16, 2020 6:27 PM MDT

WOW!!
    Talk about being taken for a ride on a bumpy road with no shock-absorbers!
    Crossing the finish line with your brother sporting an attitude at the end of this road is definitely worth "The Trophy."
    The trophy allowing you to punch him anywhere on his body, at any given time, for the rest of your lives!

What a terrible and costly experience. :(.

I have never driven a Ford Tempo and after your description, probably never will.

Above and beyond that, It is GREAT to see YOU and I'm SUPER Glad to be back!

July 17, 2020 3:41 AM MDT

Good to see you too!!!

Ford doesn't make the Tempo anymore and I'm doubtful there are many on the road these days.

As for my brother... it's probably no surprise, but we're hardly on speaking terms these days. 
      July 17, 2020 8:02 PM MDT

Understandably so on the Ford Tempo and your brother! 

See you soon on the other side!
    :) :)!! This post was edited by Merlin at July 22, 2020 4:17 AM MDT
      July 21, 2020 5:58 PM MDT

1977 or 78  Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.  I've written about hating this car a couple of times.  So here I'll just say it was a granny car because I was accustomed to a small, low, two door, straight shift car.  I kept it until 86 and bought a little Grand Am, dark blue, coupe, manual trans....I was me again.
      July 17, 2020 2:51 AM MDT

It seems to me that the 1977/78 Oldsmobile Cutlass and Supreme MUST have been "THE CAR" to own during that time.
    My parents had one that was beige.  It was so big, my mom could barely reach the pedals!
    It was a gas guzzler and horrid all the way around.  I was around 10 years old so I didn't have any personal experience driving it but I know my mom disliked it intensely.
    It's GREAT to SEE you Thriftymaid!
    P.S.  I also prefer standards over automatic.  It's REALLY hard to find one these days.  In fact, I'm not even sure you can on the more recent cars.
    I'm glad you enjoyed your Grand Am.  They are good looking cars!
      July 17, 2020 3:46 AM MDT

You and I have that Cutlass Supreme in common as our worst car. I can’t remember what year model I had. 

:(

July 17, 2020 7:25 AM MDT

See?!?!  You were also a member of the "In Crowd."
    At that time, it was,  "The Car to Have!  A MUST!" 
    I've yet to hear Anyone who enjoyed them.
    ;) :)!!
      July 17, 2020 10:10 AM MDT

I don't know about the car to have.  My husband came home with it one night.  He found a deal and thought it would be a great surprise.  It was certainly a surprise!
      July 17, 2020 8:15 PM MDT

Hmmmm.
    I would have to say it was my 1975 Volkswagen Rabbit.
    First off, it was yellow.  That should have told me it was a lemon.
    It wouldn't start and when it did, the transmission would jump out of reverse.
    It leaked oil, and even though it got good gas mileage,
    it spent most of the time sitting in front of our house.

It was WAY back when I was in college but I think I almost had to pay the car dealership to take it away.  I tried to use it as a trade-in and they laughed.

The Audi that I have now is a money mongrel. 
    It's a great looking car. 2007, black convertible, all-wheel suspension, Turbo.
    Being a 2007, you would think a lot of miles but it only had 92,000. That's a lot but not for being 10 years old.  We bought it in 2017.  We now know why it had such few miles.  For some reason, we can't keep it on the road.  We've taken it to numerous mechanics, and none seem to find that "one thing" that is wrong with it.

When it runs, it is a blast.
    Unfortunately, those driving moments are few and far between.

We are going to see if we can trade it in for a newer version.

I hope you all are staying Happy, Healthy, and Safe.
    I've missed you all and am Very Happy, Happy to be back!
      July 17, 2020 4:00 AM MDT

Either the 144 or the Corona. The old Volvo steered like a pig and had a habit of losing a carburetor from time to time, causing it to chug on two cylinders. Not always the same two.
    The Corona had structural rust, the shocks were shot (so it was like riding a broomstick on a choppy sea) and the Starfire engine was nicknamed "misfire" for a reason.
      July 17, 2020 6:49 AM MDT

"Misfire!"  That is Funny!!
      July 17, 2020 10:06 AM MDT

It wasn't funny to drive, it was infuriating.
      July 17, 2020 11:25 PM MDT

I can imagine and definitely scary!!
    I had a car once that was reliable but a had no get-up-and-go!
    It taught me to drive in the slow lane or the furthest to the right lane at all times.
    Did you do that too...just in case?
      July 18, 2020 9:58 AM MDT

My 1999 Toyota Avalon did that to me back in December of 2019 while I was on the way home. I was on the highway doing about 65 mph when all of a sudden the speed dropped. I thought maybe I had hit the gear shift lever from Drive to Neutral, or maybe I was on Cruise Control and had accidentally shut it off, but the immediate concern was either getting back up to speed or getting the buggy onto the nearest shoulder. I went through all the immediate action drills to ascertain or correct the malfunction, but I was in gear, the Cruise Control was not engaged, there was gasoline in the tank, and my foot was on the accelerator. Since it wouldn’t get back to anywhere near 65 mph again, I signaled right and aimed the nose for the shoulder of the road. Luckily, it was mid afternoon and traffic was extremely light. 
      Once I was stopped on the shoulder, I checked out the whole vehicle and couldn’t find the problem. I decided to abandon the highway and take surface streets to get home. Sure enough, when I set out, I could only get a max speed of about 16 mph. I took the next exit ramp and limped home, a normal 20-minute commute from where the incident started to the house took me about 40 minutes, because even on streets with a 35 mph speed limit, I couldn’t muster it, so I was constantly pulling over to let other drivers pass me. 
      Being a 20-year-old car, especially having been subjected to my driving for the past ten years of its life, I wasn’t about to sink money into diagnosing and surgery, I only drove it on test runs in my own neighborhood over the next few days, and 16 mph became its new normal. Gradually, the problem corrected itself, and I could drive at higher speeds, but I never trusted it for everyday use after that, especially not on the highway. I assume it was a timing belt problem or drive train or transmission, etc., and I was already spending too much money to keep the patient alive. I decided to donate it to charity for the tax write-off, which we did before December 31st so that it would apply to our upcoming tax filing. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 21, 2020 6:49 PM MDT
      July 18, 2020 10:19 AM MDT

The 144 did that to me right before I junked it. No mystery there, the gearbox dropped a rail leaving me with only first and second. Crawled to the wrecker and left it there - uneconomic repair.
      July 18, 2020 9:43 PM MDT

Randy, I LOVE your creative imagery!!  "The buggy!"  That was beautiful!

It IS Scary and Demands Immediate Action!!

How did THIS Happen? Where is my path OUT?  Can I make it?  Who is behind me and how fast are they approaching?  Are they paying attention?  Do they notice I've dropped 20 mph in a matter of seconds?  Is my exit-path safe?  Do THEY see I'm dropping momentum?  Do they care to let me in to get out of everyone's way? 
    I'm doing everything I can to keep everyone safe!!

Will I make it?

Those are the moments I thank the Universe and seem to stay surprisingly calm.  When I do reach safety, I FREAK!!  But, when I'm in it, I handle it.  Boink!  Boink!!  Boink!!!
    I say this only because I have been fortunate and made it to safety,thus far.
    Since I don't like to push my luck, I actually sold that car back to my parents who originally owned it.
    It sounds funky, the way I've written it, but the explanation will clear things up.  ;) :)!!
    When my parents lived in Central Oregon, my mom wanted a jeep.  That's all fine and good but my mom is a little creature, of sorts and the jeeps they looked at were just too big for her small frame and leg length.  She could drive them but it wasn't a good fit.
    To satisfy the urge and fit the driver, they decided on a Suzuki Samurai. 
    It was PERFECT for her!!
    The Size.  The color (it was red with a black top.)  The "look" she desired and the terrain suited them all to a "T!!"
    She used to take her white standard poodle with her everywhere she went.  He rode in the back with his seatbelt on and ears flying behind him!
    The two, well three, were a HOOT to see driving down the road!!
    In fact, the first time Don met mom and dad was a day we accidentally followed her to their house!  It was hilarious!!
    My dad named this car "Sammy."
    He was great for them and well taken care of.  
    When Don and I moved back to Southern California from Key West, I needed a car and m&d were ready to graduate from "Sammy."
    They sold him to us for $500 because I needed a car.  Don had Silver, the Nissan Xtrerra ...  Which we still have, with 300,000 plus miles on him, and LOVE dearly!!
    The problem was, "Sammy" is and always was a "bee bop" car.  He wasn't made to do long highway commutes or trips over the canyons to the beach.  Why he had 5 gears, I will never know.
    If I EVER got him 70 mph or over, it was dangerous.
    He couldn't do the canyons to the beach or any sort of speed.
    He was a fun car to bee-bop in and looked great!  But, for a daily commute, he wasn't "the ticket."
    He will always be a cute little guy but just couldn't cut the work I had planned for him.
    Ironically, we sold him back to my parents for $800 and they, in turn, sold him to a cute couple as a bee-bop care for $800.
    He went to a good home and that was important to all of us (mom, dad, Don, and Merlin.)
    About the price on resale?
    You've gotta love parents!  Aren't you glad you are one, Randy?  You guys "just know" and take the loss knowing the best and better and STILL do it.
    You guys, all  the good parents out there...
    Thank You for the Magic you gave to all your kids!  We appreciate it, immensely!!

July 21, 2020 2:34 PM MDT

“Mayday, Mayday, Mayday!  Headquarters, this is Randy D, I’ve lost engine power, thrust has dropped from 65 to 15, I’m losing altitude fast!  I’m going to glide for as long as I can before bailing out, I’ll try to see if I can make it to one of these small islands and put ‘er down on its beach or any flat surface I can find without cracking up on a cliff side or in the coral reef. I’m not on fire nor trailing smoke, so I don’t think I was hit by enemy fire, it looks like engine failure. I’m on a northern flight path from the final leg of the patrol route, last known point was Landmark Lima 15 seconds ago, I’m separated from the rest of the squadron. I will radio in my position as   soon as I get a bearing, and if I can, the coordinates where I put down.  Mayday, Mayday, Mayday!”

[[I‘m always a WWII fighter pilot when I drive, mostly in the Pacific Theatre, sometimes over the European Theatre.]]

July 21, 2020 3:07 PM MDT

July 21, 2020 4:59 PM MDT

Curse you, Red Baron!  Grrrrrrr. (Even though that was WWI, not WWII.)

July 21, 2020 5:11 PM MDT

I know.
    When I was still living in Sydney's outer west (Blue Mountains), I used to ride the train to work - and in the tunnels I was Buck Rogers. The lights flashing past were laser bolts I had to avoid.
      July 21, 2020 6:12 PM MDT

Who said you could use my name?
      July 21, 2020 6:51 PM MDT