Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What is your story of “The Worst Roommate I’ve Ever Had”? ~

What is your story of “The Worst Roommate I’ve Ever Had”? ~

Posted - July 17, 2020

Responses

When I was about 20, I lived in a work dorm with about 6 other guys.  We rotated chores each week, but one guy refused to do ANY chores.
    So after his week of "cleaning dishes", there was a full kitchen of dirty dishes for the next person.
    After a few months, it was my turn to clean dishes after him.
    I solved the problem by taking ALL the dirty, slimy dishes and placing them on his bed.

He still hates me for ruining his bedding.
    But he always did his assigned chores, after that.  So I view it as a win.

LOL

July 17, 2020 9:16 AM MDT

That is definitely a win!
    ~

July 17, 2020 12:23 PM MDT

It's a tossup.

I had one girl who was delinquent on rent payments so much, I took to giving her an eviction notice on the second of every month. The thing that arguably ticked me off more than that was that she'd be late on payments and I'd start racking up late payments on my own stuff, but she'd come home with bags from clothes shopping and leftovers from dining out. 

The other one was at least partially my fault for not creating more specific guidelines. A while back, I came across an ad from a guy who wanted to exchange handyman work for rent. Well, my house needs a lot of TLC and he was a reputable professional with a good track record of doing his own fix-and-flips. He also had a sob story about a bad divorce and all his money currently being funneled to child support, alimony, and lawyers. So, before the guy moved in, we talked at length about which projects he would be doing and in what order. He had his marching orders. Long story short, he never did any of the work and I eventually had to evict him. He didn't even leave when I verbally told him to move out. He waited for me to serve him. I think he got five months or so of free rent out of the deal, not to mention lots of free meals since he was stealing my food. 
      July 17, 2020 8:56 PM MDT

You’re right; they’re both bad stories. I think the second one is worse than the first one, though.

July 17, 2020 11:34 PM MDT

I feel for you, for the second story.
    But at least it was "only" 5 months. 
    I've been fighting ongoing legal battles since Jan 2019 to get a person out of my property.  She knows just how to work the system.
      July 18, 2020 10:56 AM MDT

July 18, 2020 1:59 PM MDT

Woah. That's awful! 

My guy dodged a bullet because I wordlessly let him stay over the holidays. I knew he didn't have family to spend them with and I couldn't see making him homeless on top of it. I was worried he was going to make me go through the court system to get him gone though. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the written notice worked. 

I can't imagine what loopholes would allow someone to stay as long as yours has. 
      July 20, 2020 4:42 PM MDT

What‘s worse is that with COVID, evictions have been suspended by law indefinitely, there are numerous stories here locally in California of the financial nightmares that property owners are having. If there was someone who was already in eviction proceedings in the days, weeks or months pre-COVID, . . .

~

This post was edited by Randy D at January 26, 2023 4:39 PM MST
      July 20, 2020 8:04 PM MDT

*shudders*
      July 22, 2020 4:16 AM MDT

During the year I lived in at my frat house in college, there was one brother who had a habit of getting drunk at night and walking around the house kicking in the doors to our rooms. That was a big reason I moved out for my senior year.
      July 22, 2020 4:25 AM MDT

I got to listen to my college apartment mate and his girlfriend 'do it' during the night.  "Ah - -- ahhhh --- uhhhh"

Then, after I left a note for my apartment mate to please pay his part of the rent, and that he was two months overdue, and that the landlord (knowing that I had paid my half promptly every month) had asked me about it, "Said-Girlfriend" got, literally, in my face waving my note in my face -- "Don't you EVER write something like this to ____!!"

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 26, 2023 12:47 AM MST
      January 25, 2023 5:47 PM MST