Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Fill in the Blank » Have you ever had an epiphany? What were the circumstances? What happened? What was it?

Have you ever had an epiphany? What were the circumstances? What happened? What was it?

Posted - July 21, 2020

Responses

I recall an incident that took place at school when I was about 14 years old.   As I’ve stated here before, I was a bookworm all throughout my school years.  One of the jocks, a thick-headed fellow who was just as enamored with his biceps and his barrel chest as he was with the sawdust factory between his forehead and the nape of his neck, was carrying out his daily routine of demonstrating how vice-like his hands were when he had the head of a student like me in them. Being the Professor that I was, I challenged him as to why he found such pleasure in bullying.  He unleashed a few insults on me, much to the delight of his ilk, other jocks.  I responded with an insult of my own, and surprisingly, instead of pounding me, he got all serious and told me conspriratorily, “Ya caint say nuthin’ li’ dat ta me.”  I wondered what strange Bizarro World I had landed on, and asked him why not.  After all, I told him, he and his kind said stuff like that every day, so they should be able to take it.  He answered that it was different because when he and his insulted someone, they could back up their words with their fists, a nerd like me could not.  I didn’t understand it, I thought it made no sense whatsoever, nor was it fair.  We have not yet arrived at my epiphany.
      Sometime shortly later, I was at home with my sister who is 11 years younger than I am.  Being the baby of the family, she was utterly spoiled, and anything that I did that she whined about was automatically a cardinal sin in my mother‘s eyes. Even at age 3, she could already sense what power that gave her, and she played it to the hilt. On the day in question, and forgive me because with the passage of time I don’t remember this verbatim, but some type of sniping was going on between she and I, when she said something to me to which I took exception and I told her, “You can’t say that to me.”  She responded, “Why not?  You say it to me all the time.”  I found myself saying to her, “I’m older, so when I say it, I can back it up, you can’t.”  Epiphany!  I immediately reflected on the school bully and his point. I had not understood it when he said it, but I suddenly found myself in that sane mindset. Might makes right is what it told me. I looked at myself, hanging up on a 3-year-old girl JUST BECAUSE I COULD. A change came over me that day, and I started my treating my little sister better, treat other people better, but I also began to look at power-based interactions between people with a more critical and more mature eye. I didn’t become any kind of perfect person overnight as a result of it, and I didn’t solve all the world’s problems, but I did incrementally work on me.

Unrelated to story one above, here’s story two. At about age 16, I experienced what I consider to be akin to a religious epiphany, or more accurately, an enlightenment. It was both a mental and physical awakening that made certain concepts of spiritual importance reveal themselves to me. Since I had been a toddler, the Baptist religion had been a part of my life, church attendance was a regular part of my family life, and I had a rudimentary working knowledge of The Word of God commiserate with my age. On that day, however, it was like scattered pieces of a jigsaw puzzle fell into place for me, and first of all in my chest, but then all throughout my body, I felt tangible something unnamed and unnameable surge through me. I know that there are some people on this website who have viscerally opposing viewpoints on the topics of religion and spirituality, such to the point that they constantly make condescending remarks about believers, so I won’t elaborate further on what it means to me.  I’ll just suffice it to say that personally, I experienced something meaningful to me
    ~

July 22, 2020 12:53 AM MDT

The bully story might be unique. I've heard others, usually told from the victim's perspective, but never have I heard one in which the victim perceives an instance of role reversal, sees their own capacity to bully, and simultaneously gains insight, empathy and compassion. 
    I'd rarely heard the term "might makes right" until I shared a house with several others back in my single days. One of my housemates was Lance Raftery, an ace welder from San Diego who worked in the Tooey's Brewery, was a foreman and union leader, and a weightlifter in his spare time. He would pepper his conversations with "might makes right." I could never get him to articulate exactly what he meant.
    Did he mean: 
    - the powerful have the capacity to restore things to how they should be for the benefit of everyone,
    - the powerful decide what is right irrespective of morals or ethics, but in accord with what suits themselves
    - that which is right is only so because bullies decide the rules and enforce them
    - or that which is decided by the mighty is actually what is right?

I used to say how could it possibly be so?
    We live in a democracy. We have the right to campaign and lobby against unjust laws as public values change. We evolve our laws through public debate, learning from experience and adapting to new technologies and situations.

But looking back on it. Lance might have been at least half right.
    In those days our unions still had clout. Lance's union was on strike - it seemed almost every six weeks. That must have been incredibly disruptive for the flow of beer in Australia, and would have angered the bosses no end. But he had the kind of skill that could arc-weld inside a naval ship's fuel tanks, stand on a ladder and use a mirror to weld inside the crevices in the hull. The bosses couldn't afford to lose him so he had negotiating power -- and he was asking for safer working conditions. He got them in the end.
    Since then we've had a succession of predominantly Liberal (equivalent of Tory or Republican) governments and the unions have been stripped of the majority of their power. Wages have not kept pace with inflation and are now so low that people buy only the bare necessities. The economy before Covid had fallen into recession.
    So it begins to seem as though the might of the plutocrats has won out - they are certainly far richer than they were, and they don't trickle it down.

Yet I would never agree that might makes right.
    To me, that which is ethically and morally right will always be independent of power.
    I believe there is a special power in love, kindness, compassion and consideration for the well-being of life which, used with intelligence, can triumph over brute force. Sometimes it's as simple as boycott, ostracism or withdrawal of support for the brute.

Your epiphany of faith - I'm rather sorry that I might not get to hear about the details, what the the parts of the jigsaw were and how they fell together. It sounds like an exquisite, blissful and incredibly powerful moment, and one that has guided your life in positive ways ever since. I feel joy that that happened for you. :)

I have had one or two epiphanies of different sorts.
    One was what one might call a reverse epiphany.
    It started the sensation of dissolving into a universal oneness - all gold, vibrant light, floating in it as if in viscous honey - no sense of I or self - filled with what felt like infinite love and consciousness, suspended in time and space - incredibly difficult to describe.
    Afterwards, I walked around in a state of love for six months. It faded slowly. But during that time, incredible things happened. Strangers smiled at me wherever I went - and I smiled back - and it was never mistaken for a come on. When I collected money door-to-door for the House-with-No-Steps (a charity for people in wheelchairs) no one refused, everyone gave generously, and I was soon recognised as the best collector - yet I did nothing special, nothing different to what I had done before the experience.
    Many years later, I had a similar experience on the eighth day of a Vipassana Course, then again during another on the sixth day. I realised it was something that could happen spontaneously in any situation, providing the exactly right balance of concentration could be maintained for a sufficiently long period of time. And then I discovered that it was a normal and well-known symptom or state of mind, regarded as a necessary and transient stage in the development of meditation. What had seemed a freak occurrence wasn't. It's related to the triggered release of neurotransmitters in the brain. What a downer! ha ha! Well, only at first. After a time, I was able to accept it in the same way one enjoys good weather.

The real epiphany for me, which was nothing of a religious nature, was the discovery of how to climb out of serious clinical depression and avoid falling back into one.
    I had had at least five major depressions. The second had involved an attempted suicide, failed only because I didn't know that My them boyfriend's sleeping pills were placebos.
    At a certain point, back when I was caring full time for Mum, I knew I had to stay alive for her sake. I typed into the search engine, "What to do when tired of life?"
    The first thing that came up was from an organisation I'd never heard of, The Samaritans. It said, if you're thinking of killing yourself, please wait till you've read to the end of this page. It gave an excellent description of clinical depression, and recommended a range of strategies such as talk therapies, CBT and anti-depressants. At the end it said, if you've tried all of these and they haven't worked, then you probably have PTSD, so please don't kill yourself till you've read the next page.
    On the next page it described PTSD - how when we're trapped in a situation where we are in some way tortured by fellow human beings, it creates a special kind of change in the way the brain works - one in which we cannot escape ourselves. We become, in fact, the source of our own self torture.
    Suddenly I had an insight. The fear of pain or death that occurs during torture is so deep that it's cellular, it goes through every part of the body, mind, nerve and endocrine systems. Adrenaline surges. It breaks down into cortisol which further stresses the system. I saw how, when I felt emotional pain and started to crave death to escape it, my unconscious survival instincts saw me as a threat to myself, and off went the alarms, the adrenaline. I felt that as another surge of pain, and the vicious cycle intensified.
    I saw that when I had a negative thought, I needed to change it. I began to use Vipassana - to come into awareness of the present moment, whatever it was - maybe have a hot shower and focus on the pleasure of it - maybe use distraction to take my mind off the dark thought. Almost immediately, I began to get relief and the depression began to lift. It continued lifting for about two years, until a time came when I could say that I felt happy or relatively happy most of the time - at least enough to be able to enjoy being alive.
    That was about six years ago. I've had a few down patches since then, when circumstances have been stressful, but on the whole I've avoided sinking all the way down, and I've found my way back out and up.
    It gives me optimism for this last phase of my life, with old age just around the corner.

I must say, that despite my atheism, I have great respect for people of faith who really live their faith - those who are not hypocrites.
    I recognise that the ideals are high, and some of them exceptionally difficult to live by - so when people succeed, I feel a great deal of respect.
      July 23, 2020 7:52 PM MDT

Whew!  I’m glad I read that, and for many reasons. In no particular order:

Often when someone poses an insightful question here, I winder what that same person’s answer is to his or her own question. You have satisfied that with your answer here.

I think my religious epiphany is a personal and intimate entity that I can neither fully explain to others nor would I want to. It’s far too deep in its meaning to me that to even attempt further revelation would be like self-betrayal. All too often, religious and/or spiritual ideals are challenged or derided, especially by those who oppose them or are adamantly non-believers. Even religious or spiritual people of other faiths or other sects clash with people who believe certain ways. I am not accusing you personally of being such a challenger, please understand me in that. 

Just prior to reading what you have written here above, I read your response to the tongue-in-cheek question about how one “calibrated” Christmas. I was thoroughly tickled by your response there. Additionally, putting it together with what you wrote here, and with things you’ve written in the past about your husband Ari, his good and bad points, your sister and the struggles she’s presented to you, your parents both collectively and apart, your circle of friends both current and past, your neighbors, your gatherings, your upbringing, your school years, your likes and interests, your choices in reading, your diet, your dedication to animals, your home, your take on sense of humor, your curiosity about things and people, your peacefulness, and your life’s journey in general. What I came away with was a clearer vision of Mannaism. It’s both wonderfully revealing and revealingly sad. It carries hope and promise, along with cautionary reflection and affirming teaching moments. It’s gut-wrenching (to think that the world would have lost you if you had carried out your demise at your own hand) and breathtakingly relieving to see the path that leaves you here among us today. I believe you seek neither pity nor sorrow, I don’t see that in your nature. To write as you do must be both therapeutic and relieving for you, and by doing it, those same two elements are bestowed on the reader. Lol, when you write, you truly emit. 

Might makes right. My take on the concept is far less altruistic and far less benevolent than the way you surmised it might mean. By its very nature, bullying is a lopsided power system that relies on tangible or intangible force that the aggressor employs or hordes over the oppressed. It carries with it no semblance of fairness or righteousness, just the threat of danger and harm imposed to strike fear, not respect. Periodic examples of the flexed muscle are required to maintain its goals, feats which the antagonists are quite cheerful to carry out. On the case of the average schoolyard bulky, the paradox is that by physical strength and infliction of cruelty, there is quite often a missing element that must be silently acknowledged: “I can beat the crap out of you, dweeb, but you’re smarter than I am [and I envy that].”  Personally, I found this to be true in second grade, when Mark B. practically ordered me to do his daily classwork or he’d pound me into the magma. Out of fear, I did it the first time, but deeper fear of getting caught and getting punished by the teacher I respected (along with facing my mother and stepfather) overrode his balled fist, and I sort of stood up to him on the second day. In a stammer with my bladder wrapped around my spleen in a slipknot, I mumbled and reasoned with him that we‘d both get caught. He bought it, miraculously, and never bothered me again. Part and parcel of my aversion to suborning cheating was the infatuating crush I had on his half-sister Rochelle, who was on the same class that we were in. But I’m rambling; back on topic. You see, in “might makes right”, the word right is not an acknowledgement that the correct thing is being done, quite the opposite. It’s akin to the “they do it because they can do it”, or “who’s going to stop them”. Bullying creates its own screwy sense of right and wrong, both turned on their heads fueled by the fear the bully draws from the toolbox. Whether a schoolyard or neighborhood grocery store beset on by extortionist Serling seeking protection money or the large country with advanced technology/industry/military might meaning on a smaller country/countries or the bank robber with the gun jammed in the face of the trembling teller or the convicted prisoner preying on the “new fish”, might makes right has less to do with the proper application of power, and all to do with its misapplication. Thuggery and intimidation at its their best. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 23, 2020 10:25 PM MDT
      July 23, 2020 9:14 PM MDT

Beautifully put on both counts.

I feel touched that you've taken in so much over the years.
    It seems you have an excellent memory, and it gives me the sense that you know me quite well. 

I learned to be open during 12 years of Family-Of-Origin therapy in my thirties and forties.
    It's not indiscriminate; I wouldn't spill to new acquaintances or shopkeepers.
    But the long-time members of AnswerMug feel like friends as much as if in real life: you and Element especially, but also Merlin, Whitehair, Kittigate, Stu-B and several others.

There's also the protection that comes via the anonymity of the site -
    it makes me wonder why more Muggers are not more open.

A writer must be a truth teller, even in fiction. 
    Truth acts like a magnet, gives the writing its energy and life.

Thanks for your clarification of "might makes right."
    I think it's an instance of idiom in language.
    If you grow up hearing it in context, the meaning penetrates by osmosis.
    If I heard it only as a transplant from another continent, I could hear only ambiguities.
    I needed a translator who wouldn't shy from the truth.

I'm still left wondering whether Lance really believed that might makes right.
    Perhaps, as a weight-lifter and union boss, he really did.
      July 23, 2020 10:10 PM MDT

I was all set to post a reply here, but I see the maximum allowable word-count for reasonableness and a tendency to lethargy and distraction has already been exceeded. This post was edited by Nyse Elias at August 24, 2020 8:03 AM MDT
      August 24, 2020 8:02 AM MDT