Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The new GOP unemployment benefits drops from $600/week to $200/week! Filet Mignon and imported champagne for EVERyONE! GENEROUS SOB's?

The new GOP unemployment benefits drops from $600/week to $200/week! Filet Mignon and imported champagne for EVERyONE! GENEROUS SOB's?

Posted - July 27, 2020

Responses

Around here, it would be enough.

The utilities can't shut off service, if you don't pay.
    Landlords/banks can't evict you, if you don't pay.

After paying my bills, I have about $100/week for food/gas.
    Of course, I'd have far more than $200/week if I stopped paying my mortgage and utilities.

What people should be asking is ... when we hear those commercials that it only takes $1/day to feed a person (for whatever charity) ... where are they shopping, and how can the rest of us get that deal?!?  If we knew that, $200/week would easily feed a family of 4.
      July 27, 2020 11:16 AM MDT

Some folks are EXCELLENT at managing their money. Buy in bulk. Cook from scratch. Don't spend money on tasty crap. It can be done if you've a mind to do it and some folks simply cannot be bothered with budgeting and making decisions and sticking to them. So they fail. I do feel bad for those with kids they have to worry about and jobs they no longer have and the possibility of catching the virus and being just another statistic. Too much going on to deal with dying. Yet we do have to deal with it now. I know folks who shop only at WHOLE FOODS and subscribe to a bazillion magazines and do fancy dancy upscale takeout and dine at fancy dancy places. BUDGET is not a word with which they are familiar. So they fall on tight times and have no idea how to survive. Smart people too Walt. It is SHOCKING how extravagant they are unknowingly. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply! :)
      July 27, 2020 11:24 AM MDT

I grew up with my parents shopping at United Grocers ... which was where you could buy bulk foods before Costco, as it was mainly for restaurants.  My mom still shops there and Costco, though she has enough now to buy "real" foods.  (IE: real milk, rather than powdered)  But her pantry is fully stocked all the time, so she doesn't have to worry about not being able to get to the store for a month.  Maybe two.  lol

I could budget and buy for making my own meals, and save money that way ... not to mention eating better.
    But I don't have the patience to prepare meals every day.  Especially healthy ones.  lol
      July 27, 2020 11:34 AM MDT

The reduction is in the "extra" benefit which should have never been given to start with. Regular unemployment is paid (at an amount determined by the state) and the $600 was stupidly added to it. It should be discontinued yesterday but now the fools are talking about reducing it to $200. Unemployment varies by state but is an average of $400. That means people have been getting an average annual salary of $52,000, or $,1000 per week. The people on unemployment are making more on unemployment than they did and will when they return to work. Problem is that they are, unsurprisingly, not going back to work.

UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS ARE PAID WEEKLY!!!! Not monthly.
      July 27, 2020 6:47 PM MDT

Food pantries/qualifying charities get food substantially cheaper than the retail price charged at the grocery stores.

Depending on how and where you shop matters.  I fed a family of 5 on less than $200 a week for most of my life.  This post was edited by my2cents at July 27, 2020 7:36 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 6:14 PM MDT

Yeah.  I guess if you're a charity, getting most of your food free, you can claim it costs less than $1/day to feed a person.
    Because all the charity is paying for is "filler".  EG: They don't receive enough free cans of vegies, so they have to buy some.
      July 28, 2020 8:37 AM MDT

No. They buy their stuff but they get it at less than wholesale prices.  They pay about 25% or less than what we are charged in a grocery store. So can 1 person eat on $28/week....Yes. May not be what you want to eat but I can be done. There will be not steak or lobster etc but yes you can.
      July 28, 2020 9:17 AM MDT

It's not possible to pay rent on that. It just isn't.
      July 27, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

Why talk about something about which you know nothing?
      July 27, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

I do know. I've been unemployed before. On $200 p.w. I'd have been homeless and my family with me.
      July 27, 2020 7:28 PM MDT

The post is about the USA on a subject on which you clearly have no idea.  When someone wants to know about Australian unemployment, you will be the go-to guy. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 27, 2020 7:34 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 7:30 PM MDT

Depends on where you live. Some people on SS do it every month. 
      July 27, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

Time to go back to work. And making the unemployment decrease to less than what you can make working it the only way that happens. 

No one will only be getting $200 a week. The $200 is on top of the regular unemployment recieved. It will eventually be switched to a % of the origonal working income. This post was edited by my2cents at July 27, 2020 7:31 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 6:42 PM MDT

You are wrong, and most everyone else on this thread is wrong as well.  The reduction is in the "extra" benefit which should have never been given to start with.  Regular unemployment is paid (at an amount determined by the state) and the $600 was stupidly added to it.  It should be discontinued yesterday but now the fools are talking about reducing it to $200.  Unemployment varies by state but is an average of $400.  That means people have been getting an average annual salary of $52,000, or $,1000 per week.   The people on unemployment are making more on unemployment than they did and will when they return to work.  Problem is that they are, unsurprisingly, not going back to work. 

UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS ARE PAID WEEKLY!!!!  Not monthly.
      July 27, 2020 6:46 PM MDT

Their jobs aren't there any more, have you bothered to look at the market?
      July 27, 2020 7:34 PM MDT

Help wanted signs everywhere I go. I have been in 5 different states recently. Help wanted everywhere. 
    My step Mom. Decided to go back to work last month. She had 2 jobs in less than a week. 
      July 28, 2020 5:54 AM MDT

Math. For every "wanted" ad, there are 13 applicants - and that's not including those who have given up.
      July 28, 2020 4:00 PM MDT

No. I could have a job tomorrow if I want it. As I said my step Mother got 2 jobs in one week. She had not had a job in 10 yrs by her choice. 
      July 28, 2020 5:54 PM MDT