Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Military » Military veterans, have any of the bases at which you were ever stationed now closed down and/or reverted to civilian use? If so, where? ~

Military veterans, have any of the bases at which you were ever stationed now closed down and/or reverted to civilian use? If so, where? ~

Posted - July 28, 2020

Responses

Yeah, Cu Chi has been partially taken down and what remains is used by civilians.  
      September 28, 2020 9:40 PM MDT

I was never in the Armed Services but my nearest, Royal Navy (Portland) has been a commercial port since the 1990s, and its associated heliport is still a helicopter-pilot training-school but civilian run.

Ironically the Royal Navy Fleet Auxiliary Service and occasionally the RN itself still use Portland Port as it's now called -  but of course pay hefty commercial berthing charges that did not apply when it was State property.  
      December 20, 2020 10:50 AM MST

CV 67 USS John F Kennedy decommissioned 2007.  Did a short tour on her while assigned to MSG
      January 1, 2021 2:35 PM MST

Nostalgic in so many ways!  Semper Fi, Mac!
    ~
      January 1, 2021 9:43 PM MST

The Poseidon missile  submarine base at Charleston in 1996. Also, I know they aren't bases, but two of the ships I was on have been scrapped.
      January 2, 2021 11:08 AM MST

Charleston, South Carolina?

Technically, since a ship is a duty station, I think they should be included here. Naval terminology dictates it; it is correct to say “I was stationed in USS Belleau Wood, not on USS Belleau Wood.”
    ~

January 2, 2021 10:27 PM MST