Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » When you're not on AnswerMug, what are the things you best love doing?

When you're not on AnswerMug, what are the things you best love doing?

Posted - August 2, 2020

Responses

Sitting on the front porch studying the birds.
      August 2, 2020 7:54 AM MDT

Your red cardinal to my pheasant coucal and all the others we love. :D
    There's something so intrinsically delightful about seeing and hearing them.

Hey, I was wondering the other day, if there were no bats, birds or insects that could fly,
    do you think humans would have imagined flying?
      August 2, 2020 8:01 AM MDT

Wow, what an intriguing supposition, how thought-provoking!  I guess you’re right, because the ability to fly was inspired by enviously watching birds and insects do it.
      August 2, 2020 8:38 AM MDT

You know you can edit without deleting.
      August 2, 2020 8:48 AM MDT

Of course I know that. It’s just that I can’t stand the little “this has just been edited” box.

~

August 2, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

I know, right? But sometimes I force myself to let it ride.
      August 2, 2020 1:09 PM MDT

i due two

August 2, 2020 1:14 PM MDT

Not tutching that one. Correct it yourself. Or don't.
      August 2, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

eye know rite
      August 2, 2020 1:20 PM MDT

What...you're afraid to let peeps know you made a mistake?
      August 2, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

Moi?  Make mistakes?  

(Fellas, git rid o’ dis Professor Element character. Not only does he know too much, but he’s also raisin’ a stink by askin’ a whole lotta questions, so it’s time for him ta go bye-bye.  Oh, and I don’t hafta tell ya that it needs ta look like a accident . . . )

~

August 2, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

That little edit notice is such a tell-tale.
    Much cooler to make it look as though one never makes typos.
      August 4, 2020 12:52 AM MDT

Then I wondered if we might have been inspired by other things that dally and drift in the air:
    dandelion clocks (parachutes),
    sycamore seeds (gliders, paragliders, boomerangs),

Helicopters: A. Box Elder (Acer negundo, Aceraceae); C. Big-Leaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum, Aceraceae); E: Evergreen Ash (Fraxinus uhdei, Oleaceae); F. Tipu Tree (Tipuana tipu, Fabaceae).

Flutterer/Spinners: B. Empress Tree (Paulownia tomentosa, Scrophulariaceae); D. Tree Of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima, Simaroubaceae); G. Jacaranda (Jacaranda mimosifolia, Bignoniaceae).

August 4, 2020 12:43 AM MDT

You’re right!  I never thought of those possibilities before, thanks for pointing them out. 

Now you have me wondering if any sea-going vessels, both surface and below water, might have been inspired by humans studying nature. That expands to swimming and diving also, including any apparatus used for them; fins, air tanks, ballast belts, googles, etc. 
    ~

August 4, 2020 6:22 AM MDT

Yep.
    I think most human inventions have come from observing nature.
    We spend eons being so familiar with things that we take them for granted.
    And then one day some lateral thinker comes along and sees how one thing that works one way here can work in a different way there.
    I remember you asked something about Velcro once - coming from plants with fuzzie surfaces on stems or leaves that enable them to stick to things and climb, or fuzzy seeds that stick to the coats of animals and thus spread.
      August 8, 2020 2:23 AM MDT

Wow, I asked that about the inspiration for Velcro?  Sure sounds like something I would post, lol. You have a great memory. With the sheer volume and utter variety of questions I’ve posted, there’s no way my feeble memory harnesses them all.

:)

August 8, 2020 7:02 AM MDT

But sometimes the way we get inspiration is sideways, less direct.

If there were no critters-who-could-fly-at-will, might we have dreamed up flight from watching the behaviours of seeds flying on the wind?

Might we have invented helicopters from Box Elder, Big-Leaf Maple, E: Evergreen Ash and Tipu Tree 
    or
    parachutes and paragliders from the Empress Tree,  Tree Of Heaven, or Jacaranda?

August 4, 2020 12:49 AM MDT

Playing with grandkids.
      August 2, 2020 8:32 AM MDT

Lately, lots and lots of exercising and it could also be a toss-up between doing crossword puzzles and watching old movies from the 1930s to the 1970s.

How about you?
    ~

August 2, 2020 8:36 AM MDT

i like to create arts for my online activity.

i also like to code my own website. 

i also like to invest into videogames.

right now im in a hospital anf they dont want to let me out until i have an appartment
      August 2, 2020 10:41 AM MDT

Gardening.  
      August 2, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

What kind of things are in your garden?
      August 2, 2020 12:35 PM MDT

Which ones?

Vegetable garden - tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc.
    Flower gardens - currently the morning glories, snapdragons, and gladiolas are in bloom, but the amaryllises should start to bloom in about a week. 
    Rock garden - rocks (quartz crystals and such) and small statues (rabbits, squirrels, and such).

August 2, 2020 1:14 PM MDT

Well, not knowing you had so many different gardens. I like them, just even hearing about them. They all sound most wonderful. Tomatoes would be my favorite vegetable you listed. Such nice flowers. And I too, love cool and unique rocks like that too. :)
      August 2, 2020 1:22 PM MDT