Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How many bombs dropped simultaneously would it take to blow up america from coast to coast? How long would it take to annihilate?

How many bombs dropped simultaneously would it take to blow up america from coast to coast? How long would it take to annihilate?

Posted - August 3, 2020

Responses

So now you have a death wish?
      August 3, 2020 8:00 AM MDT

Who needs bombs?  We’re doing a fine job of destroying it (coast to coast) all by ourselves.  What with an inept government and asinine citizens.  

What will history record as the reason the “great USA” fell?  Was it a failed war?  Was it nuclear bombs?   Was it invaded by a foreign country?  Was it terrorists?  No.  It brought itself down.   Self-serving leaders and self-serving citizens.  It’d been brewing for years, but all it took a little virus to being it to a full head. 

August 3, 2020 1:26 PM MDT

You know Shuhak I'm always asking how stuff works? Say a country like North Korea. Do we know all of its capability capacity? They don't like us much. What about Iraq or China? The pandemic pumpkin has alienated us from our former allies. Who is our ally now? Are there any left? The rotting from within our country is undeniable. Done to weaken us of course. It would not take much to invade us with the cooperation of pandemic pumpkin and his cabal et al. I don't know what worst case scenario is most possible. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      August 4, 2020 3:02 AM MDT

Strange question there, Rosie.

I can't help thinking you are being rhetorical, based on thinking along the lines Shuhak suggests.
      August 3, 2020 3:18 PM MDT

No m'dear I'm not. You think the question is strange? The pandemic pumpkin has driven us away from our former allies. He has cleaved unto putin and Russia. We are not loved by some countries...we are actively despised. Couldn't a country like say North Korea pull a SURPRISE attack on us? There is no love lost there. I believe it's been established that North Korea has range that could reach the west coast of the United States...perhaps even farther. Do we know the extent of the strength of all our enemies? Inquiring minds wanna know these things. What are the possibilities probabilities impossibilities? My mind is always filled with question wanting to know how stuff works. What IS possible? How do we KNOW? All strange or all logical and reasonable and sensible given the world in which we live. Which country or countries would you say are YOUR allies? I don't know if america has any now. Thank you for your reply. Did I enlighten you or further confuse the issue? Happy Tuesday to thee and thine Durdle. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 5, 2020 6:12 AM MDT
      August 4, 2020 3:06 AM MDT

The the destructive power of a 1 megaton nuclear warhead will take out an area of about 100 sq miles, it would take 35,000 warheads to annihilate the US. That is more than 3 times the existing world arsenal.
      August 3, 2020 3:52 PM MDT

Not that I don't believe you E because I do. But HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT? Couldn't some countries have them and simply not own up to it? Where is such information accessible? We know pandemic pumpkin never tells the truth. I expect no world leader, even the most "normal" among them, tells the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Also 35,000 sounds puny to me. Tiny. Padiddly. Wouldn't that information be kept SECRET by each country? Oh. How would they be dispatched? By plane or is that ridiculous? Are they all LAUNCHED from launching pads? I believe North Korea can reach the west coast of the US now. How far do these things or can these things travel? Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 4, 2020 7:56 AM MDT
      August 4, 2020 2:57 AM MDT

Making nuclear weapons is ridiculously easy. Procuring the raw materials to produce them is MUCH harder.
    Raw uranium ore won't do it, most of that is non-fissile. So the naturally occurring U-235 must be enriched, or the U-238 subjected to subatomic bombardment to change it to Pu-239. The equipment required to do either cannot be hidden, it's huge. As is the equipment needed to separate heavy water (De2O) from regular light water. The fission reaction is required to trigger the fusion reaction. The movement of the materials isn't hard to track.
      August 4, 2020 3:19 AM MDT

Thank you for your VERY helpful reply m'dear. I had to look up "fissle". Another new word for which I thank you. Fissile...capable of being split or divided. Like nuclear fission then? Do you think it likely that many countries have a stockpile of nuclear weapons we know nothing about? What's to prevent them from holding such information back? I just wonder what's going on in the bowels of North Korea for instance or other countries with whom we are not on the best of terms? From your perspective as an Aussie R what do you most worry about vis a vis nuclear weapons? Take care and STAY SAFE! Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :)
      August 4, 2020 3:27 AM MDT

As In said the equipment required cannot be hidden and movement of materials in and out is relatively easy to track. "Dummy" loads can increase the estimate, but it's not possible to UNDER estimate numbers. The three global superpowers have so much hardware in orbit over PDRK that Kim Jong can't twitch an eyebrow without them noticing.
      August 4, 2020 3:39 AM MDT

Well that surely makes me feel better R. So everyone tracks monitors spies on everyone all the time. Even our allies though now after we have been blighted with the pandemic pumpkina** I think America has no allies. He smacked them in the face and knifed them in the back figuratively. Why should any former ally care what happens to us? Boy I sure didn't like asking THAT question. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 4, 2020 4:07 AM MDT

The numbers come from the treaties of nuclear weapons reduction. That is the only source I can find. Even 10,000 is overkill. One missile from one of our subs, with its multiple warheads, could lay much of North Korea to waste.
      August 4, 2020 7:59 AM MDT

Oh. Well thanks for clarifying your source E. I appreciate it. You just gobstomped me though. You say ONE missile of one of our subs with multiple warheads could destroy a lot of the entire country of North Korea. Sorry I'm not more informed but what do you mean by MULTIPLE warheads? Doesn't a missile just have one? Thanks for your reply E! :)
      August 4, 2020 8:11 AM MDT

Sorry, I found another source that says the START treaty limits the number of warheads to 4 per missile. I guess it would take about 5 missiles to wipe out 20 cities. The warheads are called MIRVs...Multiple, Independantly-targeted Re-entry vehicles. This post was edited by Element 99 at August 4, 2020 8:56 AM MDT
      August 4, 2020 8:17 AM MDT

So if it has 4 warheads that like having 4 missiles? Only 5 missiles to wipe out 20 cities? Know what? I wonder what kind of brain was behind the invention of something like that? Thank you for the info E. I really appreciate. Of course one can know how ignorant one is until information comes that you know zero about and then you find. I had no idea and now I do thanks to you. So we have ships out and about in strategic locations armed with these missiles for ready action? I expect their location and number is secret. Oy vey. The Rosie of 4 years ago could not ever imagine the one of today. With these questions and concerns. We never know whom we will be until we get there. I'm going to ask. Thanks again! :)
      August 4, 2020 8:33 AM MDT

I don't know how many it would take to blow up America from coast to coast but a few warheads that were targeted to destroy things like used nucular rod coolent ponds would wipe out America. There are coolent ponds all acrose the US and if the used nucular energy rods in those ponds are not kept cool they will go critical and release massive amounts of radiation. Cheers!
      August 4, 2020 9:35 AM MDT

I don't think the real future threat will be all-out nuclear war but the Internet, by the enemy whoever that may be crippling the nation's governmental and public networks hence its ability to function.

Slartibartfast refers to two very different types of weapon.

The conventional nuclear bomb uses fission -  breaking the atoms of plutonium or the appropriate isotope of uranium releases huge amounts of energy, mainly heat and light. It's achieved by using shaped chemical explosive charges to compress separated pieces of the metal together into an immediately unstable mass.

The "Hydrogen Bomb" uses fusion, ramming the atoms of deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen) fiercely enough together that they fuse so to form helium, yielding a far higher heat and light output than a fission-bomb. The heat and pressure necessary to start the reaction is given by placing the deuterium within a small fission-explosion.

Nuclear fusion is the way in which stars work, but they are moderated and kept stable by their vast gravitational forces.

'

You ask if there are ships patrolling armed with nuclear-warhead missiles. Not surface ships but submarines, so they are hidden as far as possible from detection by the enemy. Obviously though, their numbers and locations are secret!

I will expose one myth. Hollywood, campaigners and others have created a common idea that the worlds' navies go around the globe, deafening all the sea-animals with constant streams of sonar "pings". Except perhaps for occasional tests or if necessary in war, THEY DO NOT! The moment a ship or submarine releases a few pings, it reveals itself to any listening vessel for miles around, including its own prey. Instead, submarines especially creep around very gently, making as little noise as possible, listening carefully for any signs of their enemies while not revealing their own presence. Their crews pride themselves on being "The Silent Service".

August 4, 2020 4:02 PM MDT