Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Language » If I choke someone to death for saying "it is what it is," no jury in the land will convict me, am I right?

If I choke someone to death for saying "it is what it is," no jury in the land will convict me, am I right?

To paraphrase a fellow AMer, grrrrr!

Posted - August 5, 2020

Responses

You are correct.  You may be elevated to the status of town influencer.  That is another new nonword of the day.  I want to hit someone when they say "internet/social media influencer."
      August 5, 2020 4:29 PM MDT

I don't know the context of your question -- I'm assuming some humor in there :) -- but on another question just yesterday, I posted an answer about that phrase.

I almost start wondering why I find comfort in that phrase because so many other people get really irritated when it's said.

But taking your question as it is, and if I were on the jury, I would vote to convict you.  I do not think using that phrase is worthy of murder. But, no worries - - based on what I've experienced about that phrase, the other 11 jury members would surely defend your choking choice.
    And while you're at it, you could  go ahead and choke me to death because I find comfort in the phrase.

I know I digress but here's my answer from the other day. Please don't "hold it against me /choke."  :)

"It is what it is" is a very comforting thought to me, yes.

You see, I have a tendency, at times, to negatively project, "read into" things and "fabricate fictional negative scenarios/outcomes" onto neutral circumstances. I sometimes project negative outcomes and scenarios, when, in reality, I have no idea what the future holds.
    And I have no power to "read other people's minds," though I often fall into that trap - - "They must be mad at me," or "I did something wrong," when, in fact, as far as I know, rarely has anyone been mad or rarely have they thought I did something outright wrong to hurt them.

With thinking patterns I developed while growing up, there are reasons why, at times, I project negativity onto neutral or even positive circumstances. But I'm getting better and better at realizing that circumstances "are what they are," and they are NOT the negative scenarios I sometimes fabricate out of negative thin air. I try to remember to tell myself, "Focus on what you actually know -- the facts of a situation ("it is what it is")  -- and not negative stuff you are making up."

Again, the phrase "It is what it is" is very helpful to me and it's a comforting reminder to not project negativity, to not pretend that I can read peoples' minds and to not make up negative things.

August 5, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

I want to be on the jury so that I can join the other ten in beating you to death. 

~

August 5, 2020 6:17 PM MDT

Ha!
    :)

lol
      August 6, 2020 6:39 AM MDT

I am right there with you. It's almost become my mantra. Not necessarily those words, or even aloud, but in my mind. It's meant to self-soothe, but results are varied. =)

August 5, 2020 7:22 PM MDT

Yes, I'm right there with you, too, on everything you said. Yeah, I have variations on the phrase, spoken or not spoken, and in my mind.
    Yup, varied results for me, too, but it's a healthier direction for me than the other path on which I've spent too much time.

You and me -- as far as I know --  the only two humans in the world to appreciate the phrase's spirit. :)
      August 6, 2020 6:52 AM MDT

Exactly!! MUCH healthier direction than that other path!!!

I am fortunate enough to know a couple of others who have inspired and encouraged me. 

Reminds me of a song that captures the spirit. I may have posted it before, but I definitely think you'll appreciate it, even if it's a repeat. 
    Don't you worry, we'll all float on. 
      August 6, 2020 7:54 PM MDT

I will testify for the defense as an expert character witness:

“Yes, I’m an expert on characters, the accuser is definitely a character, but that shouldn’t be held against him, this is a clear case of self defense and/or defense of common sense and of the English language.  I believe the jury should move for a unanimous not guilty verdict.”
    ~

August 5, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

And yet you're the offender who inspired the question!
      August 5, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

Of course!  Why do you think I’m arranging to be hired as an expert witness?

(By the way, thank you for the installment payment.)

~

August 5, 2020 6:30 PM MDT

You are guilty as charged. Prepare to receive your sentence.  Because in this case "it is what it is." This post was edited by my2cents at August 6, 2020 12:05 PM MDT
      August 5, 2020 7:15 PM MDT

recieve receive. Don't you remember from grade school, "I before E except after C?"
      August 6, 2020 4:10 AM MDT

That rule doesn't carry much weight. Sounds foreign to me.
      August 6, 2020 5:01 AM MDT

I remember taking a foreign-for-me language, French, and the more I studied, the more it seemed that ,as far as all the "rules," the French language made more sense to me than the English language for me. :)
      August 6, 2020 6:38 AM MDT

English does not like to follow its rules. 
      August 6, 2020 6:50 AM MDT

Yeah, I get that. Ha.

And, to me, at the time I was learning, the French rules seemed to not have so many exceptions as the English language has to its respective rules.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 6, 2020 9:45 AM MDT
      August 6, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

The Spanish language is like that too: its rules are simple, straightforward, and sensible. Learning Spanish was (is) a breath of fresh air for me, I love the language. 

~

August 6, 2020 6:58 AM MDT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_before_E_except_after_C

"I before E, except after C" is a mnemonic rule of thumb for English spelling. If one is not sure whether a word is spelled with the digraph ei or ie, the rhyme suggests that the correct order is ie unless the preceding letter is c, in which case it is ei. For example:

• ie in believefiercecolliediefriend
    • ei after c in receiveceilingreceiptceilidh

The rule is very well known; Edward Carney calls it "this supreme, and for many people solitary, spelling rule".

This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at August 7, 2020 5:12 AM MDT
      August 6, 2020 9:34 AM MDT

Being
    Deign
    Eight
    Either
    Feign
    Feint
    Freight
    Foreign
    Height
    Neigh
    Neighbour
    Neither
    Protein 
    Reign
    Rein
    Sleigh
    Skein 
    Their
    Weigh
    Weir
    Weird 

And that list isn't exhaustive. The only rule in English is "every rule has exceptions". What else can you expect from a hybrid language? (Basically Teutonic but with admixture from absolutely everywhere). This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 6, 2020 1:35 PM MDT
      August 6, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

what if I say “it really do be like that sometimes“
      August 6, 2020 8:43 AM MDT

Death penalty for you!
      August 6, 2020 8:48 AM MDT

If this guy was the offender, he'd be more likely to have me strangled . . .

This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at August 6, 2020 1:36 PM MDT
      August 6, 2020 11:50 AM MDT