Discussion » Questions » Finance » Have you ever discarded money as trash?

Have you ever discarded money as trash?

This is a literal question. 

Posted - August 6, 2020

Responses

Once while I was driving.  I smoked at the time and was holding $16.00 in one hand, while lighting the match with the other hand.  I threw the money out the window instead of the match: was able to recover all but a $1.00, as best I can recall now in my old age. 
      August 6, 2020 1:11 PM MDT

• Haha...reminds me of my early smoking days when I was doing the ritualistic abuse of packing a new pack of cigarettes. I was trying to do it while driving and the window was down.  Fumbled the full unopened pack and out it went into a busy highway.  I just stared ahead and had to fight back tears. 
      August 6, 2020 1:15 PM MDT

Awwww, drats, sorry about the tears, and the money.  :  (
      August 6, 2020 3:10 PM MDT

:) :)!! 
    Think of it this way... Your money might have helped a bird or a squirell make a nest.  More so than the used match.
    See??
    There was a real estate profit for your friendly wildlife!!
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at August 6, 2020 8:29 PM MDT
      August 6, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

A bird nest lined with dollar bills: now that is birdie high life fo sho. 
      August 6, 2020 3:12 PM MDT

"Flyin' High!"  
    Thanks Honeydew!  This is so true.
    Incidently, "honeydew" is my favorite melon.  Watermelon is a very, very, close second...
    But, there is nothing like the perfectly ripe honeydew melting in your mouth.
    Please don't take this as anything but true to the taste buds and the words. 
    :) :)!!
      August 7, 2020 11:23 PM MDT

Merlie, don’t make me fight you: Honeydew is MY favorite melon!  Don‘t try to take my woman from me, go and get your own. Grrrrrrrrrr. 

~

August 7, 2020 11:41 PM MDT

Not on purpose, I lived with a guy for a few years that just threw out any coins under a quarter. That drive  me nutz. I should have known it would never work out the first time I saw him throw out a dime while I was over in corner collecting my pennies. 
      August 6, 2020 1:17 PM MDT

WHAT?????????????
    PLEASE!  Let me tell your ex-boyfriend, dimes are the richest little coin!  They are small so many feel they are worthless.
    You're smarter than your goofy ex-boyfriend.
    Thank goodness you were wise enough to leave this guy!
    :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at August 6, 2020 8:29 PM MDT
      August 6, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

I know I’ve posted about that guy a few times on our old site, Merlin, but you may not remember. He’s the one I ended up throwing his favourite guitar off the apartment balcony. If the idiot had saved his dimes maybe he could have replaced the stupid thing next day :/ 

August 6, 2020 1:47 PM MDT

HUGE RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Well Done and all that jazz!!!

Exactly and you are so much smarter than he you need to around peeps that not only know how to serenade you with the woos and powers of the guitar under knowing hands but also the sense as to what to do with the money he might have made from it.
    Sooo much better you threw it over the balcony.
    He may never learn how to treat either. You or the money he was able to make with a guitar.
    Never-the-less, you and the guitar were destined to be in much better hands.
    ;) :)
      August 6, 2020 2:25 PM MDT

• Woah, wonder how much money over just those few years you were with him found it's way into the trash. 
      August 6, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

lol who knows, I ran Into him a few years ago at an open mic night at a pub. He still seemed douchey enough to be throwing out change. 
      August 6, 2020 1:50 PM MDT

Me, of all people, can't think of word to use to describe how I feel about this guy and his behavior.
    Idiot just doesn't cover it. ....
    Dweeb is too dumb.
    Nimrod even isn't in his league.
    I'm thinking....
      August 6, 2020 2:27 PM MDT

its
      August 6, 2020 8:30 PM MDT

People Do throw money away without knowing it via credit/debit cards, internet purchases, scams, and deceit. Those are some of the worst ways.  You find out later what has become of your 1,000 dollars.

And, with the economy in the catastrophic roller-coaster it is right now and  the way the Dollar has been treated in the recent past does leave little to feel the value.

The coin.  Being a bartender, years ago, I started putting all the change on the bar in a huge glass jug.  Kind of like the plastic ones at the water cooler. I filled it in about a year or two. 
    Don and I were ready to move out of our house and we needed "every dime we had saved." It took the both of us to dump it over.
    When we did, it was well over $400.  
    Throwing money away is a terrible thing.  Throwing your extra change into a tip or pennies, nickles and dimes in one of those little containers at the checkout stand DOES help others.
    Whatever the way, the only way it doesn't help anything or anyone is burning it.
    "A penny saved is a penny earned."
    However, 
    "Find a penny pick it up.  All the day, you'll have good luck!"
    All money, in whatever fashion, helps someone, somewhere.

I have accidentally thrown money away and realized it "after the fact."  I have cringed knowing I did.
    To balance that, I have FOUND money in pockets when doing the laundry!

This post was edited by Merlin at August 6, 2020 9:10 PM MDT
      August 6, 2020 2:09 PM MDT

• When I was growing up my parents had this big replica glass Coke bottle that was about 3 feet tall.  It's where all the loose change in the house went.  It was topped off more than a couple times and would have a couple hundred dollars in it. It all adds up for sure. 
      August 6, 2020 2:27 PM MDT

Happy! Happy!
      August 6, 2020 2:33 PM MDT

Hmm. I've bought things before that didn't work at thrift stores, or things I couldn't return, maybe even misplaced a gift card. I've never deliberately thrown out money, but I think it's happened once or twice by accident.
      August 6, 2020 2:36 PM MDT

I hardly ever save receipts after I leave a business establishment where I have just completed a transaction.   I was at a gas station years ago, and just as I did all the time, as I finished pumping the gas, I threw the receipt into their trash can, hopped in the car and drove off. It was a Sunday afternoon, a lazy day relaxing at home  Hours after leaving the gas station, I was emptying the pockets of my trousers, expecting one of the items to be the $5 bill that I had received in change from paying for the gas. Instead, I found a receipt, the very same receipt that I thought I had thrown away. After going through the car itself just to be sure, I finally surmised that I had mistakenly put the receipt in my trouser pocket and thrown the bill away. So much time had passed that either the trash can had already been emptied as the money was on the way to the landfill, someone had found the money and rejoiced, or some other fate.
      I chalked it up as a loss due to my own carelessness.

Oh, well.

~

August 6, 2020 8:43 PM MDT

I accidentally posted a response to you as an answer!  Oops! Sorry!  Please read down and you'll find out the fate of your 5 dollar bill!
    ;) :) ;)
      August 7, 2020 9:18 AM MDT

You can always cut and paste when that happens, you know. I do it all the time. 

~

August 7, 2020 10:56 PM MDT

No way - I will still pick up a penny if I see one on the ground even though pennies are no longer leagal tender in Canada.  Cheers!
      August 6, 2020 9:09 PM MDT

Find a penny, pick it up
    And all the day you'll have a penny.
      August 7, 2020 2:54 AM MDT