Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Have you ever been dumpster diving?

Have you ever been dumpster diving?

Companion question inspired by another one that was posted by another member recently:

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/113215/if-you-ve-ever-found-money-in-the-trash-did-you-keep-it-and-ho

Posted - August 7, 2020

Responses

I asked my husband about that.  He was only gone for three or four hours that day.  He said he went for the piles of tickets that were resting on top of the garbage or the ones that were visible through clear or white plastic bags, but he wasn't going to rip open the black trash bags.  He said his first stop was the mobile home park and his second stop was the crappy apartment building, so whoever threw away that $200 winner really could have used it!  The people in the mobile home park and the crappy apartment building collectively spent a small fortune on Powerball tickets for that drawing.
      August 9, 2020 3:18 AM MDT

no but a few years ago my husband went through a phase where he watched a bunch of dumpster diving channels on yt and wanted to do it. no thanks 
      August 7, 2020 1:23 PM MDT

• I've seen one before too where it was a guy that would go out and collect ingredients and make this amazing looking dinner.  I'll confess it looked good but my mind still said it was garbage instead of food. 
      August 7, 2020 1:27 PM MDT

I haven't. I don't like digging through garbage cans due to all the germs and stuff, not to mention you aren't supposed to really, though people do it a lot here. However I had a friend that did it. He found me two working Nintendo game systems. Wow.
      August 7, 2020 7:45 PM MDT

I dumpster dove for about 25 years during my heavy boozing days, I must have found probably a couple grand or more in accidentally tossed out cash, sometimes in foreign currency.  I would sell 'good stuff' at flea markets and cash in all the cans and bottles.I never had to buy things like clothes, soaps, or many household items. Also picked up a lot of perfectly good food. A lot of nice treasure sort of stuff wish I had kept but I sold for booze. One majorly interesting item i found was a nicely crafted small wooden box with a metal tag on it stamped 'RMS Titanic 1912'.Inside was some sort of navigational instrument. I took it to an antique auction place where the guy examined and said it was a pretty good example of a well made replica... aww.
      August 7, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

No
      August 7, 2020 8:45 PM MDT

not me but when i was homeless , i met a couple of drug addicts people and they would do that , and showed me the food they would get and i was surprised.

they once had a bag full of pastries still good to eat
      August 9, 2020 1:47 PM MDT

A friend of mine found $10.000
    in a dumpster.
      August 10, 2020 1:21 PM MDT

First mistake. Your friend told you about it and now you'll probably tell everybody else.
      August 10, 2020 1:23 PM MDT