Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Does light ever bend on its own or does it need something to interfere with its trajectory?

Does light ever bend on its own or does it need something to interfere with its trajectory?

Posted - August 7, 2020

Responses

It would need something to interfere with it.
    Generally, something with a large gravity pull (such as a black hole) ... or something that refracts/reflects (such as a prism or mirror).

August 7, 2020 7:54 AM MDT

I was chatting with Jim this morning about light and how I could see something he couldn't he said because the angle he was looking from wasn't straight but mine was. Which caused me to wonder about how light flows. It's always in a straight line I guess until it is diverted by some outside interference. Thank you for your reply Walt! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 8, 2020 2:24 AM MDT
      August 7, 2020 8:24 AM MDT

It cannot, so far as we know, bend on its own. Here is a photo of gravitational lensing, where the light from a distant background object is curved around a massive foreground object. Pretty cool, eh?

August 7, 2020 2:48 PM MDT

Not only cool but BREATHTAKING! Thank you for the graphic. "A picture is worth a thousand words" was never more true. I wonder how many BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL photos we have of "up in the sky" and "beneath the seas"? :)
      August 8, 2020 2:26 AM MDT