Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Once the first DOMINO goes down all the others inevitably go down too. How long does it take? More dominos take longer. Isn't it beautiful?

Once the first DOMINO goes down all the others inevitably go down too. How long does it take? More dominos take longer. Isn't it beautiful?

It's really hypnotic. I wonder who was the first one to set a bazillion dominoes in nifty patterns and then push the first one. The others behind it cannot get out of the way. They are stuck right where they are will thus to whit therefore go down too.

Moral?

Be careful who you stand behind. Else you will become another pushover too.

Posted - August 8, 2020

Responses

Beautiful, but maddening!  If, after getting it all set up, you don’t put the key dominos in carefully, hours of work falls flat. That’s why many “professionals” use a template to set them up.

The size and density of a domino affects how it falls as well as the speed of which it falls. 

Trump’s such a fat domino that it seems like it’s taking forever for him to fall.   However, when he finally does…  ////////__

August 8, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

Oh my goodness Shuhak. You mean there are "professionals" who use "templates"? That's news to me. So if there are professionals there must be competitions? For most intricate designs or the longest line? Do they have worldwide domino competitions? Another mind-boggling happenstance accident. I asked what I thought was an ordinary question and look what you gave me? Extraordinary! Are they televised? Are some countries better at it? Inquiring minds wanna know. Thank you for your very INFORMATIVE reply. I had no idea! :)
      August 9, 2020 5:07 AM MDT

Yes, yes, yes!!   Competitions, professionals, novices…!!!

Intricate design?  That’s kind of an understatement.  There’re domino walls, domino towers - we’re talking walls and towers that are several feet high made entirely of dominos (imagine setting one of those up), color coordination, spelling out words or logos, designs, some are even Rube Goldberg style, some are underwater. All falling down on cue - one at a time or thousands at a time.

What, you’ve never seen these?  Check out the video below.  If you want to see more, Google or YouTube it!  From competitions, to the Guinness world record, to school competitions, to seeing how they set them up... spectacular!  Hours (sometimes days) to set up, all for a few minute of show.

This post was edited by Shuhak at August 9, 2020 1:51 PM MDT
      August 9, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

Domino rally's are fun and wonderful. Yes, they are a skill to set up, but only take a very short time to go down!
      August 8, 2020 5:06 PM MDT

Exactly right m'dear. They take a relatively long time to set up and you have to be very careful when you do. And then in seconds it's all destroyed! I wonder what makes it so fascinating that people will do it repeatedly? In my mind's eye I can visualize it and it's such a beautiful thing to watch. Thank you for your reply Nightwolf and Happy Sunday! :)
      August 9, 2020 1:54 AM MDT

Ah thanks. and a very Happy Sunday to you. I've only set up very small ones as a kid, but have seem some pretty fascinating ones.
      August 9, 2020 11:44 AM MDT

I just accidentally happened into this Nightwolf. I had no idea that dominos was a sorta big thing but I can see where it would be. Like building sandcastles. Some can become extremely intricate. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 9, 2020 12:01 PM MDT