Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » I have just found out that during World War II, the Australian government “interned” people of Japanese descent who lived in its country.

I have just found out that during World War II, the Australian government “interned” people of Japanese descent who lived in its country.

Just like the US government, Australia imprisoned Japanese residents in camps. There were far fewer percentages of them living in Australia than in the US, but a much higher percentage of the Japanese who lived in Australia were incarcerated, almost 90% of them. Also, after the war was over, the Australian government deported many of them to Japan. 

Were you aware that all of this took place?

Posted - August 8, 2020

Responses

Yes.
    It doesn't matter who helped who.  What does matter is it is over.

Hopefully we have grown up since then and won't be so silly as to worry about what land we live on or what we look like.
    It is ALL good if we take responsiblity for our actions each and every day.  Take ownership to our GOOD and thrive on these things.  Learn from our mistakes.  Shake hands and help the planet we live on.

There, we will find peace.  And stop making more people!  Enjoy the act.  There is no need to have your "name" carry on.  What matters is there is a place for everyone to live in conjunction with one another.

WE CAN DO IT!!  I KNOW WE CAN!! This post was edited by Merlin at August 9, 2020 7:19 AM MDT
      August 8, 2020 1:59 PM MDT

(who helped whom)

I'm not sure as to which question you're answering or why you mentioned helping someone.  Nothing in my post refers to anyone helping anyone else.

There is a certain aspect of forgetting history, dismissing history or ignoring history that makes incidents such as this one less important fro some people or sweeps incidents under the carpet.  Taking responsibility and ownership requires openly looking at what took place.  I am not saying that you are incorrect in what you wrote or in your opinion of the topic, I'm just presenting my perspective from a different angle.

:|
      August 8, 2020 7:04 PM MDT

Didn't know that
    thanks for info
      August 8, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

Canada did that too. Cheers!
      August 8, 2020 6:27 PM MDT

I was - and it was more than 90%. All that did not possess Australian citizenship were deported, too - for their own safety. Attacks on ethnic Japanese were considered to be extremely likely as the stories of atrocities perpetrated on Australian POWs became known.
      August 9, 2020 12:45 AM MDT