Active Now

Slartibartfast
Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is it a cult or simple mental defect? The hordes of people who are conspiracy theory devotees? What is the lure that hooks them?

Is it a cult or simple mental defect? The hordes of people who are conspiracy theory devotees? What is the lure that hooks them?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

I am a conspiracy theorist, but I don't follow those mindless cultists. I have my own theories.
      August 9, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

You are? Care to share WHICH ones? I'm not a FB fan or any of those other hangouts but I understand that lots of lies get floated out there...weird odd bizarre queer peculiar but the nuts embrace them believe them spread around like manure. Like the DEEP STATE. I think they're bonkers. Simpletons who do not think but just follow their master over the brink as they sink slowly. Masses of braindeads mimicing gibberish. Mush heads. Now of course I don't mean you I mean "them". You know them by the nonsense they contribute. As if there weren't enough of it. Hordes and throngs and gangs and thugs and emptyheaded automatons programmed to "believe" the ridiculous the absurd the unimaginable. Thank you for your reply E. I can't think of a single conspiracy theory I support espouse dwell on believe. Never heard one that made any sense to me. Not that such do not exist. But I can't support what I don't understand. Happy Monday to thee and thine. STAY SAFE! :)
      August 10, 2020 1:47 AM MDT

Here is a simple one. A friend of mine, a physician, told me that half of his salary went to malpractice insurance. When I asked him why he didn't have a group insurance with other physicians, he said the state wouldn't allow it. Conspiracy: Insurance lobbyists got what they wanted.
      August 10, 2020 1:10 PM MDT

OH Okay I see what you mean. Collusion among entities to screw as best they can we the people. Deciding IN ADVANCE how best to take advantage of customers or clients or citizens. That isn't the nature of what I meant. Samples of those? There is a DEEPSTATE conspiracy working against pandemicpumpkina**. The earth is really flat. We never landed on the moon it was just a hoax. Elvis Presley is still alive. The HOLOCAUST never happened. The Illuminati rule the world. Barack Obama is an atheist born in Kenya. The pandemic pumpkina** is honest honorable truthful caring understanding and not a racist pig who raped women and bragged about it and lies every time he opens his mouth and is a traitorous treasonous puppet of a former Russian KGB officer and blasphemes GOD and takes victory laps after he does so and those who dislike him are just jealous and want to take him down. Like that. Thank you for your reply E and Happy Tuesday to thee and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 11, 2020 2:21 AM MDT
      August 11, 2020 2:18 AM MDT

I think there are several motives, and many "conspiracy theorists" may exhibit two or more of the following I suggest in no special order:

- Preferring to live in a fantasy-land rather than reality.

- Laziness & Gullibility - taking the easy way out by a belief that looks attractive but would fail under simple scrutiny.

- Inability to see things in a logical way, especially if the "theory" (which it is not) questions cherished beliefs or undermines own views.

- A feeling of "belonging" or "knowing" - this applies more to the cults, like QAnon and religious extremists, that encourage such feelings.

- Misty-eyed romanticism.

- Fear and Ignorance.

- Last but not least - Malevolence: originating or spreading wild and often very dangerous allegations for personal gain, power or ego. 

++

Of the romanticism, whilst Erich von Daniken's books, or the "Bermuda Triangle" and "Loch Ness Monster" myths, are not "conspiracy theories" they do illustrate that attitude, and the level of such ideas.

One entirely innocent M-ER version that is nearer conspiracy-"theory" arose among some British railway enthusiasts in the 1960s, when British Railways was scrapping its steam-locomotives in great haste. It held that the Government was holding a strategic reserve of steam locomotives in secret locations. As a railway journalist commented when he proved it false, it only takes barbed-wire fences across rusty rails leading to big sheds, to set imaginations going! At least this myth was as harmless as that of the Loch Ness Monster.

X
      August 10, 2020 12:35 PM MDT