Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I don't know if any of this is technically possible. WHAT IF the entire world's power grids are shut down and the internet disappears?

I don't know if any of this is technically possible. WHAT IF the entire world's power grids are shut down and the internet disappears?

How long before the world explodes implodes stops dead in its tracks?

Posted - August 9, 2020

Responses

I’d give it 3 minutes.   No power and no internet means no phones.   People can’t live without their phone … not even for a minute.  They go berserk if there’s a power outage, and if cell service goes down they don’t know what to do (How do I breathe?  Help me, Seri!). 

August 9, 2020 4:08 PM MDT

Of course it's possible. ONE solar flare in precisely the wrong direction can do it. It would be temporary for the most part, but it would seriously mess up communications by knocking out satellites, as well as mass confusion until the grid is repaired, and airline pilots would have to prove how good they are by flying "blind" - their instruments would be useless.
      August 9, 2020 4:26 PM MDT

That's the power grid. What about the internet or are they all linked R? I worry about stuff like that a lot. What's to stop our "enemies" from doing just that? Think they ever might just try? Flying "blind" is what send planes to fly into mountains. I don't think "good" has anything to do with it do you? Anyway is it likely or unlikely to happen in your opinion? Would that be a very good way to cut the world off at the knees and cripple it for a very long time? Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful reply R. WHAT DO YOU worry about?
      August 10, 2020 3:57 AM MDT

Boomers would survive...millenials would become extinct.
      August 9, 2020 5:34 PM MDT

Is it technically possible? Or never in a million years could it ever happen?
      August 10, 2020 3:53 AM MDT

A nightmare scenario, but luckily these systems are extremely robust and the chances of it happening are extremely low even in just one country. 

The greater worry though would be warfare, in which one country could severely damages its enemy's communications systems.

August 10, 2020 11:54 AM MDT

A most optimistic outlook, to be sure.
      August 10, 2020 12:04 PM MDT