Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What is your very favoritest WAVE? Why? How about your favoritest WAIVE?

What is your very favoritest WAVE? Why? How about your favoritest WAIVE?

Permanent (on your head very popular in the long ago olden days)
Micro (where you cook or heat up food or drink)
Ocean (where you see diamonds playing among the waves courtesy of the sun)
Hand( like the Queen does as she rides in a motorcade)
Flag (in a breeze)
Crowd (like in a stadium)  Ever been part of that kind of WAVE?

As for WAIVE? Anything to do with fees. Right? Anything that gets you out of having to pay anything for something.

Waive parking fees
Waive the taxes

Posted - August 11, 2020

Responses

I think the "Crowd" wave is also called the "Mexican" Wave, so there's another prefix!

Long / Medium / Short (Wave radio bands, in AM broadcast services.)

"Tidal" - though tsunamis actually have nothing to do with the tides.

Gravity - another wonderful cosmological feature only recently detected and measured.

.... of Emotion.

And of course the one none of us want - Second. 
      August 11, 2020 5:10 PM MDT

"Mexican"? If you were to say that you'd be vilified for racism or something. You know as I watch old movies so many of the scenes stand out as being insulting to a group of people but back then we didn't think anything of it. I guess we have grown "better" in a few respects. Having people of color portrayed as bumbling stumbling not-very-bright subordinates makes me cringe. Way back then when I was a kid it was just part of the scenery. A terrible thing to say but that was sadly true then. SIGH. No do-overs or mulligans. What happened happened. What matters is what happens going forward? Your guess is as good mine. But maybe just maybe having a woman of color VICE PRESIDENT could lead to some awesome good changes. We'll see. Time will tell. We've only just begin. We've come a long way baby. This post was edited by RosieG at August 12, 2020 4:43 AM MDT
      August 12, 2020 2:35 AM MDT

"Racism"? Eh? I do not know if it's still popular or not but I have never heard of any one thinking it somehow rude, even nowadays when you barely need put two words some allegedly wrong way round to be howled down. I'd assumed it came from some Mexican tradition, maybe from their football terraces where it is or was popular in Britain; but the name never had the sort of connotations attached to certain other words.

Who needs 1984? Just listen to the real world.

That could be an interesting election result...
      August 12, 2020 2:52 PM MDT

Maybe not Durdle. Maybe I'm just too sensitized or desensitized. What used to be "normal" now is banned so sometimes it's hard to keep up. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 13, 2020 4:34 AM MDT

August 11, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

You honor me if you think I know what that is supposed to represent E. I have no clue so would you be so kind as to translate/decipher it for me? Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      August 12, 2020 2:31 AM MDT

Keeping the math out, Simply put, if you could 'see' the current coming from your electrical outlet, that's what you would see, but only one of them. Actually, you can see them with a special electronic device. Radio waves also have the same appearance.
      August 12, 2020 3:00 PM MDT

Oh? Well someone somewhere "saw" it in order to represent it on a graph. How did that someone "see" what I cannot? Oh wait..you answered that. What is the "special electronic device" called? A wavometer? Just being silly. Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 13, 2020 4:25 AM MDT

They are called oscilloscopes. I used and repaired them in the Navy.

August 13, 2020 7:03 AM MDT

Nice one - radians as well!

One of my Maths teachers at school used to reckon the Sine curve the "most beautiful", but I don't recall him saying why beyond perhaps mentioning sea-swells or maybe sound-waves.
      August 12, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

:):):)
      August 13, 2020 4:26 AM MDT

It is the basic wave-form for sound and sea-waves too.

Not the breakers Slartibartfast enjoys, but waves in water deep enough for the bed not to disturb them. Out at sea they travel as smooth peaks and troughs in which each particle of the water itself, and anything floating on it, simply moves in a small circle without travelling forwards in bulk. In the shallows though their "roots" drag on the sea-bed, making the water pile up into fast-moving, rolling walls.

Waves of sine-curve form, are all over the place in Nature.

A pure acoustic tone of that form is a simple whistle or hum, as you hear from some mains-powered equipment.

Start mixing it with similar waves but of different frequencies ("pitches") and amplitudes though, and the resultant wave-forms give sounds of different timbres, and that is the basis of musical instruments' individual "voices" even at the same pitches.  

Our speech starts in a somewhat similar way at the vocal "cords" (a thin membrane), but their outputs are then turned into letter sounds by the rest of the vocal tract.

Our pulse may not seem so, but that too is a "harmonic function" - a blend of pressure-waves each of sine form. I have seen the equation of the wrist-pulse, and it's a string of trigonometrical terms!

So that basic, modest little sine ratio we typically encounter first as natural to the right-angle triangle (where it is very valuable for many practical uses), and illustrated by Element's graph and photograph, goes a very long way in all manner of places..... 
      August 13, 2020 11:45 AM MDT

Ocean - specifically Thirroul. Right break, peels smoothly but no place for the faint hearted. Misjudge the take off and the wave dumps you on your head, and your board heads for the shore without you.

As for waive, a waiver on anything is nice, and damned near impossible to get.
      August 12, 2020 2:50 AM MDT

You SURF? How are the waves where you live R? When I think of surfing I always think of Hawaii first though there are plenty of hot surfing spots on the west coast of the United States. Now that I think about it there was a movie years ago..a Bruce Brown or someone produced it. He went around the world surfing waves or filming surfers everywhere and I think he was in search of the PERFECT WAVE. It was an awesome movie and I can't remember the name of it. I bet you have massively high waves in Australia. Any famous competitions held there that you entered once upon a time?. Thank you for your reply m'dear! When was the last time you surfed or do you still? This post was edited by RosieG at August 13, 2020 7:03 AM MDT
      August 13, 2020 4:29 AM MDT

I used to. Adelaide is 'way up the Gulf of St Vincent, so the waves are mere ripples. You get bigger surf in a bathtub.
    When I lived in Sydney, I used to go to Wollongong beaches to surf - cleaner and less crowded. Thirroul is just north of Wollongong. I enjoyed it but was never good enough to compete professionally. Several world surfing champions have been Aussies, including two of the last three women's champions.
    Was the surfing movie The Endless Summer?
      August 13, 2020 5:15 PM MDT

"You get bigger surf in a bathtub"! Geez R that cracks me up bigtime. How big a bathtub would it have to be? Olympic-sized? Yes yes yes! That was it. THE ENDLESS SUMMER! Did you see it? I mean I don't surf but I sure loved that movie. I don't ski either but I expect that the feeling you get skiing down a mountain would be the same kind of exhilaration as you'd get riding a big wave all the way in to shore. Something I can never feel. Oh wait. I think long ago when I used to run I'd get in a zone. That was decades ago. But that's as close as I'll ever get. Thank you for your reply. Did Maureen ever surf? Your kids/grandkids? "Bigger surf in a bathrub." That's a nifty line. I might use it sometime and I'll give you props. :)
      August 14, 2020 2:27 AM MDT

Maureen prefers swimming in calm water, our kids have never lived in an area where surfing is possible and my eldest grandchild is three. He can't swim yet and neither can his sisters.
    I've seen the flick, tbh it didn't do a lot for me. Possibly because I know personally where better waves than that can be found.
      August 14, 2020 2:56 AM MDT

BETTER? Whoa! I believe you. What's the tallest highest biggest wave you ever tried? How do you measure them? From sand to top or from the surface of the sea to the top? Thank you for your reply R! :)
      August 14, 2020 4:15 AM MDT

Size doesn't really matter, provided that it's bigger than I am. The shape and regularity of the waves is more important. Under the lip, breaking above and between me and the shore, with the pitching power behind me. Peels smoothly, so I dont get white water in front of me which throws mr off balance (and usually wipes me out).
    Cactus Beach is reputed to be the best surfing anywhere - but it's remote and a bugger to get to.
      August 14, 2020 6:11 AM MDT

Okay. Apologies m'dear but I can't buy that. Have you seen the size of some of those WAVES? Like 50 feet tall or something? It takes my breath away how professional expert surfers ride in the curl and then transition to the top and just ride it out. Geez R if I saw a 50 wave heading for me I'd probably pass out from fear. I had a fear of water for many years. I learned how to swim in my mid-30's but I would NEVER EVER swim in the ocean. NEVER EVER. A backyard pool is my speed. I went to high school with a kid who was a terrific very STRONG swimmer. I don't know if he surfed. He died one day swimming alone at a southern California beach. I think it was the undertow and he might have cramped. I learned about it because his younger sister and mine were good friends. Lesson learned. Even EXPERT swimmers can die if the situation presents itself. Anyway I digress. Sorry. Was there ONE ride you will never forget? One that stands out in your memory? I think surfers are among the BRAVEST athletes in the world. I do.  Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 14, 2020 6:25 AM MDT

20 feet from trough to crest is plenty. I've never surfed Pipeline (or even been to Hawaii), neither do I want to - it's a left break and only a goofy can conquer it. If I can spend a moment in the green cathedral, it's enough.
      August 14, 2020 6:37 AM MDT

What does that look like looking down or do you not do that...you look out? I wonder how many bones surfers have broken trying to achieve a ride on the greatest wave of their lives? Who was the first who rode the water? Amazes me how brave homo saps can be. Thank you for your reply R! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 14, 2020 6:41 AM MDT
      August 14, 2020 6:41 AM MDT

Every direction but down - keeping my head still helps with balance. A wall of water to the left and right and a perfect oval window in front of me.
    Hawaiian royalty invented it, King Kamehameha III lifted the kapu and introduced it to the common tu'a and eventually to Haoles. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at August 14, 2020 6:55 AM MDT
      August 14, 2020 6:47 AM MDT

That makes big sense R. Ever get really scared? Sorry to pry but I can't imagine anyone not being scared even though the ride would also be fantastic. The closest I ever got to surfing was when my son we 12 and we went to the beach and he had a boogie board. He showed me how to lie down on my stomach and catch a wave that would take me to the shore. I did it several times and it was a lot of fun. But standing up on a board and being far out in the water? Me? Never. Boogie boarding is fun for scairdy cats like me. Makes you feel like you're with it without ever having to be that! :) Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 14, 2020 6:52 AM MDT
      August 14, 2020 6:51 AM MDT