Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you BUNDLE TV Internet and phone and the TV goes out does everyting go out with it? Or are they totally INDEPENDENT of one another?

If you BUNDLE TV Internet and phone and the TV goes out does everyting go out with it? Or are they totally INDEPENDENT of one another?

Posted - August 13, 2020

Responses

Depends on how the service is coming in.  

ie. If phone is coming in through cable wire then yes if cable is out you telephone is also out.   If your internet is coming through the cable wire then yes if cable is out so is the internet. 

If internet is coming in through phone wire then if the phone if out then internet is also out.   (I do not think cable can come through the phone line) Some phone companies will bundle TV but they are tied in with a Satellite company for TV. 

August 13, 2020 12:32 PM MDT

Years ago a TV guy told me to never BUNDLE and why. But so many folks bundle because it's cheaper. If the TV goes out I don't want the internet to go out and the phone. It isn't cheaper it's very frustrating if that were to happen. So I don't get the lure at all. Do you BUNDLE m2c? Ever been sorry? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 13, 2020 2:12 PM MDT

My internet is with my cable.  Same bill.  

I do not pay for a landline.  I have home phone through the internet (VoIP - Voice over Internet Provider) but with a different company because it is cheaper.  But it does still rely on the internet. 

I pay $225 a month for my cable and internet (unlimited data last I looked we use over 300GB a month) And $25 for my home phone line. My bill on one bundle for all three would be about $15 higher a month. 

I think when I had internet through my phone company sometimes the internet would be down but not the landline phone, but that was nearly 15 yrs ago. 

I have internet on my phone so I am never out of internet wherever I go as long as I have cell signal. 
      August 13, 2020 2:39 PM MDT

I appreciate your taking the time to give me all that info. Frankly I am so confused about so much stuff. Now we pay $136 for cable but Jim has a lot of extra sports channels on it. Our internet comes through our phone and it's about $45/month of the monthly phone bill which runs $115. So if you add my 136 and 115 it adds up to $251 and your 225 and 25 add up to $250! WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT m'dear? Geez that's really odd don't you think?
      August 13, 2020 2:47 PM MDT

Sounds like these phone/cable/internet companies have got it figured out coast to coast. :)
      August 13, 2020 2:58 PM MDT

Nah…If one goes out, they just jack up your bill.  (Especially if you have Comcast!)  And,if you're lucky, they might send out someone to take a look …in a week or 2.

August 13, 2020 1:23 PM MDT

So are you saying they are independent of one another then Shuhak? Do you bundle? Thank you for your reply! :)
      August 13, 2020 2:13 PM MDT

No, they’re not totally independent of each other.  If the TV goes out there’s no internet, but the internet can go down the TV still works – sometimes.  

Yes, I bundle… TV and internet - $200/mo. (outrageous!)  I’m going to have to cancel the TV very soon as they keep jacking up the price and cutting down on the amount of channels.  

August 13, 2020 5:32 PM MDT

Well m'dear we pay $136/month for the TV. Jim has a lot of sports selections and he is interested in a bazillion things like home improvement shows and we both like all the cooking shows. We don't subscribe to what they call the "premium" channels like HBO. TV is our main source of entertainment. We rarely go out to do anything. Not dining or movies or seeing plays or whatevering. And we pay $115 for the phone plus internet so our total is $251/month for both. Not that much higher than yours. Thank you for your informative reply Shuhak and Happy Friday! STAY SAFE! :)
      August 14, 2020 1:58 AM MDT

Depends on the service and how it's set up. You'd have to check with them before you order. But I know with our company in town, as well as a lot of others. If you lose your internet for whatever reason, it goes down or something. Your landline phone is also lost with it. My dad has them for all 3. This is because your phone works off the telephony modem that gives service to both your internet and phone. However the cable is separate with the TV outlet, So you can still have TV without Internet and home phone. It's possible all 3 can go out, but that would mean the company is having issues with all 3 services.
      August 13, 2020 1:44 PM MDT

Do you bundle m'dear? I just think it's like playing Russian Roulette. Too dicey. Thank you for your reply C! :)
      August 13, 2020 2:15 PM MDT

I don't bundle. I only have their internet service. I have a landline phone with the normal phone company. It's a little more through them, but I want a reliable phone weather my internet is on or not, never know when you need a phone or for emergency. I am on my dad's cell phone plan, for my cell phone, but it doesn't get good reception in the house, so fine for when in town. And I don't have Cable TV at all. TV is expensive. I do watch TV, but I stream things with my Roku box connected to my TV. I have a few subscription services on that. And am a user on my dad's Netflix account too. My dad does bundle with them, but he also has a better cell phone then I do. So if his landline goes out it's usually okay. This post was edited by Nightwolf5 at August 13, 2020 2:37 PM MDT
      August 13, 2020 2:34 PM MDT

Sounds quite sensible to me Nightwolf. I'm going to ask you a question that may be unanswerable. Why are things so complicated today? I'm serious.

Way back long ago in 1948 my dad brought home a TV...our first..and just plugged it in! That was all he had to do. We didn't have remotes then. You had to get up off your butt and walk over to the TV and push buttons if you wanted to change the station. I am not a fan of COMPLICATED. Are you? Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      August 13, 2020 2:38 PM MDT

It's simply because the more advanced in technology we get, the more complicated things get and more things we need to know about the electronic inputs and outputs. I wasn't around in 1948, but I remember when things were simpler and when we got our first computer when I was very young. My computer sometimes does things I don't understand and have look up what is wrong. Could be from an update or something else. That's my take on it.
      August 13, 2020 2:50 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Nightwolf. All of the technology available today whizzed right past us and left us behind years ago. So when Jim wants to get something that's complicated he does have a good friend (Alan) to whom he can turn for help. Thankfully. Happy Friday m'dear.  STAY SAFE! :)
      August 14, 2020 2:01 AM MDT

I second what the others have said. My cable company offers both options- a true landline or one that relies on the internet. I had the landline for many years but then switched to the one that uses the net- I think it shaved $10 or $20 off my bill. They set me up with a modem that can have a battery, so I could theoretically still make calls when the power goes out, but, of course, it doesn't help when the internet goes out.

In any case, they never even told me how to get the battery, so I didn't, but I have solar and I don't lose power anyway. And, I don't really use the phone since I have a mobile phone. I keep it for sentimental reasons since I've had the same number for 20 years and to allow me to call my cell phone when I can't find it. :)
      August 14, 2020 2:14 AM MDT

I have a home phone so I have a number to give people/businesses who I do not want to have my cell phone. I get an email when someone leaves a message. I actually do not even have a phone hooked up to it.
      August 14, 2020 4:28 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful helpful and informative reply Just Asking and Happy Saturday to thee and thine. STAY SAFE. This post was edited by RosieG at August 17, 2020 1:39 AM MDT
      August 15, 2020 4:49 AM MDT