Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Is it theoretically possible for enough food to be produced on each continent to the point that intercontinental shipping of it could end?

Is it theoretically possible for enough food to be produced on each continent to the point that intercontinental shipping of it could end?

~

Posted - August 13, 2020

Responses

Not likely. There are too many overpopulated countries that don't have the farmland to provide enough for their citizens. Ethiopia, Somalia and Djibouti come to mind. Also, America's ravenous appetite for beef, exotic foods not produced here and out of season produce cause us to import much of it from Central and South America and Asia. There are other more complex, political reasons I am sure.
      August 13, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

I have read that it's possible if we give up meat. The animals take up tons of space and then we need cropland to feed them on top of it. I don't know the details though.
      August 13, 2020 5:40 PM MDT

Not to mention their methane farts which are a greenhouse gas.
      August 13, 2020 5:45 PM MDT

Yes and No
         This earth is pregnant
    with life food across the Earth.
         But there  are places where certain
    types of food flourish in certain climates.
    Because we enjoy varieties from around
    the world, it's like there was a design to have 
    different parts around the world to come together.
    That the whole world be a big Family sharing in the  
    fruits of the Earth.
         I love a Guava from India. To me that 
    fruit is Moksha. For me to enjoy a Mango from 
    India That intercontinental shipping is necessary.
    We come together and share the world with everyone
    through our food. This helps us in understanding
    all peoples communicating in what is good for us.
    An evolving understanding. 
      August 13, 2020 6:25 PM MDT

Thank you. What I refer to in the hypothesis of the question would of course require humankind adapting from desires for foods from other lands. 

~

August 13, 2020 8:14 PM MDT

it can be possible but not for every countries. very small ones cant do it .

also the thing is there will always be trade of foods because they want things that cant grow in their own
      August 16, 2020 2:13 PM MDT

It might be possible in some countries but by no means all, and then only by accepting more limited diets and ignoring the self-appointed Diet Police.

It  may work in countries like Britain and Ireland, and a good many others,  thanks to good farming practices on a good balance of grass-land for dairy and meat animals to graze, other land suitable for cereal crops, large areas good for vegetable growing, orchards, etc.; and all under a temperate maritime climate (though of course, its future subject to whatever climate change will bring). 

Even then, with a population of >65M and growing, and many people growing food at home, we'd have to eat less overall without starving or malnutrition; and we could not have many fruits without importing them.  

In theory a continent the size of the USA or Russia ought be self-sufficient by sheer size, latitude range and variety of soils and climates; though continents can also suffer from wide extremes of climate. (Large areas of Siberia have the largest annual temperature range of anywhere.)
      August 16, 2020 5:28 PM MDT