Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » One person's love is another's dislike - Have we all gone reviewing mad?

One person's love is another's dislike - Have we all gone reviewing mad?

The way we seem to feel we have to review everything these days, from toilet paper to tech... it occurred to me, as things do, that perhaps we worry too much about what reviews say? It was a fudge cake that set this train of thinking in motion.. Last time I had this fudge cake, it was great... I'd have given it 4 out of 5. But this time, it was more like a 2 as it was messy and not well put together, misshapen too. Yet, it was the same fudge cake.... 

Perhaps it's just me who has these strange thoughts? 

Posted - August 28, 2020

Responses

I don't think it's just you - especially in a society increasingly insistent on sharing experiences, or versions of an experience, with others (including strangers) across these virtual connections.

But comparisons are always tricky, whether we're comparing things and thoughts to those of others, or to our own impressions from a different time. I think it's pretty important not to expect, so to speak, a better or worse cake than the last time (or, for that matter, the same), but to take things as they come.
      August 28, 2020 1:33 PM MDT

Everyone’s different.  Our “ratings” are usually based on how we’re feeling at the moment.    Such as your cake.  The first time you had it circumstances were different.  Your frame of mind was different.    Perhaps the first time you were expecting something different, or because of what was happening or had happened it was comforting.   Whatever it was then couldn’t be duplicated now, therefore you were disillusioned.  

If one were thinking of dropping a chunk of change on an item, it’d be nice to know if said item is going to live up to your expectations.   Seeing what other people thought of it might be helpful (advertisements don’t always tell the whole story).  However, what we need to remember is that other people aren’t infallible.  Some are biased, some lie, some can’t read directions, some are the .01% that got a bad “whatever” (it happens), and some are just plain stupid (seriously, have you read some people’s reviews??)  .  As I said earlier, it also depends on their frame of mind at the time.  If they’d built up a product in their heads before they got it and were even the tiniest bit disappointed (ex. the outside packaging had a tear in it) , they’ll give it a lower rating that had they not cared that much to start with.  

We like to hear that another enjoyed something we were considering purchasing.  It might even make us more apt to buy it.    

August 28, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

Exactly! You've got it. I've bought many an item that had some pretty dire reviews and been fine.. so perhaps sometimes we have to take that chance and/or remember that it can just be dependent on mood etc..
      August 28, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

I don’t look at or look for reviews very often, but when I do, I prefer to scroll past all the “positive” ones and go straight to the negative and scathing ones.  It’s my belief that at least some of not the majority of “positive” reviews are merely planted by the companies that sell the products.  The negative ones, however, would not be placed there by the companies. Of course, and interested third party, such as a competitor, could also be behind negative press. 

~

August 28, 2020 6:23 PM MDT

I’ve read your entire post, and I’m not sure exactly what you mean by “reviewing”.
      Do you mean mentally evaluating something in general to determine a range of good or bad, or are you referring to the online practice of rating a product/service and commenting on one’s experience with it?
      If it’s the former, that it’s just human nature to gauge what one thinks about something, and it’s not new “nowadays”, it’s been happening for thousands of years. If it’s the latter, you’re correct in that technological advances have certainly expanded the realm and intensity of how many consumers can comment, how quickly after trying the item those thoughts can be communicated, and how many other people can have immediately/long term access to the information. Manufacturers, producers, companies, industries, etc. have vested interest in consumer feedback; it translates to real profits or lack thereof.

I don’t know if it’s just you who has these thoughts, because you’ve presented two completely separate concepts here, the first of which I addressed above. The second concept is the fudge cake that you tried. I don’t believe any of us can answer this without having also tried the fudge cake to say whether or not it’s different now than it was in the past.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at August 29, 2020 1:33 PM MDT
      August 28, 2020 3:49 PM MDT

Always a full and thorough response from you. I meant the practice of reading, writing and paying attention to reviews for almost everything from toothpaste to music systems.  This is usually online, yes. And it has increased exponentially. So, there was only one concept - the rest was just me pondering on the value we place on reviews and the art of reviewing. 

The fudge cake was just a catalyst :P
      August 29, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

No, just mad.
      August 28, 2020 4:22 PM MDT

After reviewing your question, well thought out, perfect grammar and obviously refreshingly different from much of the drivel here recently, I would rate it a 10.
      August 28, 2020 5:07 PM MDT

Lol!

~

August 28, 2020 6:24 PM MDT

You are very kind! You are welcome to leave reviews like that any time :)
      August 29, 2020 1:37 PM MDT

I do not bother with reviewing reviews for most purchases. But I do for hotels and large purchases. 
    As far as posting a review, I would have to be either extremely happy or extremely unhappy with a product/service.
      August 28, 2020 7:25 PM MDT

Interesting answer; I think I am, or was, probably the same. 
      August 29, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

No we don't.  Speak for yourself.
      August 28, 2020 9:07 PM MDT

Ok, good to know. It's always good to understand how others think. 
      August 29, 2020 1:39 PM MDT

I have looked at reviews more often lately than I did before.  I especially look at them when I'm ordering something online from a company I've never dealt with before.  Burned once, twice learned.  If all the reviews are 5 stars, I know they're probably fake.  I prefer to see the negative ones which are more telling.  Sometimes, something that causes a person to give a bad review is not something that would bother me, but I still like to take a look.
      August 29, 2020 8:30 AM MDT

Now I think of it, I probably check out the negatives first too!
      August 29, 2020 1:40 PM MDT