Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Finance » In your opinion, what are some of the most ridiculous recurring expenses we have to pay for vehicle ownership? ~

In your opinion, what are some of the most ridiculous recurring expenses we have to pay for vehicle ownership? ~

Posted - August 31, 2020

Responses

Licensing - $500 for a tiny sticker every year! (already had to pay for the metal plates when the car was purchased)

Getting it "smogged" every 2 years (california) - $100 +certificate (but the "gross polluting" cars are exempt)

Insurance - n less than 10 years you've paid them twice the cost of a new car i, but they make sure to depreciate your car daily so they don't have to pay as much to you if something happens . (sorry, but bluebook for your model is -$20)
      August 31, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

$500 for sticker.  Ours runs $25 for the sticker. $12 for inspection and then you have property taxes.  So for an old car can cost under $50 a year.
      September 1, 2020 7:52 AM MDT

I have a 2002 pickup.  By California law it's considered commercial (no matter what).  That alone ups the cost substantially.  Then there's all the taxes the state's added over the years to help "fill up their coffers".
    Unless a car was manufactured in 1975 or older (or is newer than 5 years), they must be smogged every 2 years.  The certificate is $39; the rest of the cost is labor (this consists of: plugging the device into the dashboard port, unplugging the device, and handing the printout to the customer.).  If it fails smog the repair costs can get expensive (and then you have to get it smogged which is more labor costs).  Myl truck failed tits last smogging.  I bought an O2 sensor for $60 adn had to pay over $100 for someone to install it (discount as I purchased my own part).  I tried installing it myself, but to no avail.  There's only an inch or two between the driveline and the sensor port... and the sensor was 4" loing. (old sensor was rat chewed).

September 1, 2020 12:23 PM MDT

If one buys a specialty plate here in Ohio it costs $20 more each year. Even a handicapped or veteran plate.
      August 31, 2020 5:58 PM MDT

GST on top of fuel tax. It's a tax on a tax.
      August 31, 2020 6:20 PM MDT

Inspection
    Property tax
    License 
    Insurance

Propery tax on a vehicle is just wrong. I paid tax when I bought it. I should not have to continue to pay taxes on it every year. This post was edited by my2cents at September 1, 2020 7:34 AM MDT
      August 31, 2020 6:30 PM MDT

• Ugh, agreed.  Some states have done away with it but where I live I still have the honor of cringing when that bill comes every year. 
      September 1, 2020 7:35 AM MDT

Annoyed when I first moved here. I came from a state that did not do inspections or property tax.  Just give them their $50 and they were happy. 
    I have heard since that it is much higher now.  I pay less even with inspection and property tax than what is charged there now.  Just still a pain deal with. 
      September 1, 2020 8:08 AM MDT

A victims of crime levy on a parking ticket. It's a victimless crime.
      August 31, 2020 7:27 PM MDT

• Property tax.  By far the worst. 
      September 1, 2020 7:34 AM MDT

Vignette sticker so you can drive on the roads here
    Annual Inspection for safety etc
    Annual registration

Oh yeah the Photo Cop on every corner etc
      September 11, 2020 1:50 PM MDT

I remember about 50 years ago getting a property tax bill on the car I was driving at the time---billed from the city.

It had nothing to do with the state car registration.

Never got one before or since.

$17.00 didn't kill me, but I really never paid attention to why it was taxed and I remember being irritated---I felt like the city had its hand in my pocket.
      September 11, 2020 3:27 PM MDT