Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Anyone still have books they had as a child?

Anyone still have books they had as a child?

I'm currently 33 years old, and I've these two since I was a small child. They were a couple of childhood favorites, so kept them.

If you perhaps do. Tell us about them. :)

Posted - September 13, 2020

Responses

No.  I don't even have books from when I was 72. :)
      September 13, 2020 3:42 PM MDT

I have one written in cuneiform on clay tablets.
      September 13, 2020 3:47 PM MDT

Very few. I treasure them. 
      September 13, 2020 4:32 PM MDT

Ya I have a  wilderness survival book that was written in the early 60's. And thanks to that book if we were lost in the wild I could whip us up a loaf of bread from flour that I processed out of Skunk cabbage root. And if it was a hot day I could keep the bread cool in a fridge I  made that uses water evaporation to cool the air inside the fridge. Cheers!
      September 13, 2020 4:36 PM MDT

Not the originals. As the eldest of seven, I left them behind for my siblings and bought new ones for my own children (and lately my grandchildren).
      September 13, 2020 4:50 PM MDT

No...I gave them to my son.
      September 13, 2020 5:50 PM MDT

Then hopefully they are still in your family with him. :)
      September 13, 2020 5:54 PM MDT

I'll ask him next time I call.
      September 13, 2020 5:57 PM MDT

If I did, I wish I still had this book. I remember reading it as a youngster and thinking at the time, "Hey, this author is treating me like a mature person, not just some little boy." (I may not have used the word "mature" but this book addresses some serious things and I remember, while reading it, that I felt important and respected by author Evaline Ness.) Great book to me, still. A children's illustrated book.

"Sam, Bangs and Moonshine"   Evaline Ness

SAM BANGS & MOONSHINE Written and Illustrated by Evaline | Etsy
    This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 2, 2021 6:36 PM MST
      September 13, 2020 7:11 PM MDT

Certainly not any of the grammar-related books: instead of saving them, I merely memorized everything that was written in them. 

~

September 14, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

:)
      September 14, 2020 6:15 PM MDT

I still have some classics, but I've thrown out the ones in poorer condition to fit into a smaller house. 
      September 17, 2020 2:00 PM MDT

I've two I keep more for their associations than contents, as they were special gifts.

We left my native county in 1959 when  Dad's work-place was moved some 80 miles to a new location, in 1959, when I was in Infants' School.

As a parting gift my teacher gave me a copy of A. A. Milne's  Winnie The Pooh, inscribed with a good luck message and "Keep reading" above her name. She had greatly encouraged my reading. 

=

The other is The Junior Weekend Book , a compendium of excerpts from novels, poems, songs, puzzles, toffee recipes, instructions on building a tent and simple boat, and all sorts of other wonderful things. Complied by J.R. Evans, it is very hard to know the age-range at whom it is aimed because it makes no concessions, does not talk down and much of it could be enjoyed by adults too.   

For example, the poems would be equally at home in an anthology for grown ups; while in building the boat there is no "Ask your Dad to saw the planks to length" - it just tells you to cut  them as shown in the diagram. Clearly Dad is assumed to have taught you how to use tools properly and safely - and so he should! I never built a boat but did make toffee, and here similarly Evans has no qualms that a child can be capable of boiling molten sugar without serious injury or setting the house alight.

This too is from that teacher, with her message "... to learn and love as Jacquie and Didi did". I have no idea who they were - but she dates it July 1958, when I was six.  This post was edited by Durdle at January 3, 2021 5:26 PM MST
      December 20, 2020 10:07 AM MST

That's is wonderful Durdle, thanks for sharing.
      January 2, 2021 6:40 PM MST

Yes Winnie the Pooh, Ferdinand and Green Eggs and Ham.  They given to me by my grandfather.  When I was cleaning out my parent's house after their deaths I found them on a bookshelf so I took them home to put on my Bookshelf.  They will be passed on to either my oldest son or the twins when they kids.  My oldest daughter will not have children
      January 3, 2021 6:19 AM MST