Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » FL Senators propose bill to stop Daylight Savings Time this year. Leaving clocks as they are until Nov 2021. Do you support this?

FL Senators propose bill to stop Daylight Savings Time this year. Leaving clocks as they are until Nov 2021. Do you support this?

Personally, I say leave them as they are now...permanently.

Posted - September 17, 2020

Responses

Yes.  It's time to stop playing with the clocks and have one time.  It isn't as though you're adding more hours to the day,  
      September 17, 2020 8:57 AM MDT

Well we agree on something.  I see no point in it being dark at 4:30 pm.
      September 17, 2020 10:14 AM MDT

That's the second best option, IMO.
    The best would be to set the time as half-way between the two, and leave it there.
      September 17, 2020 10:32 AM MDT

I would be ok with that. 
      September 18, 2020 5:08 AM MDT

Of course ... people could just start saying "Nope, I'm not gonna change.  I'm going off UTC and GMT time."
      September 18, 2020 7:16 AM MDT

California passed a bill to stop DST a few years ago.  However, since only congress can do that it was simply "advisory".
    I think they should do away with DST (or make it permanent).  It'll take people a while to get used to it (lots of complaints), but in the long run it would be much better.
      September 17, 2020 1:05 PM MDT

Wasn't California's bill tied to passage of similar bills in OR and WA?
    I believe OR has such a bill, as does WA ... but they hadn't passed, last I heard.

I don't believe a state needs federal permission to opt-out of DST.
    There's nothing in the Constitution, as far as I can find.
      September 17, 2020 2:08 PM MDT

I don't believe so. 
    What California passed was proposition 7 (in 2018).  Prop 7 only authorized the state legislature to - (1) Repeal proposition 12 passed in 1949 (which established DST in the state) by means of a two-thirds vote.  (2) Establish permanent year-round DST, pending federal authorization.  (3) Take action to change time policy concerning both DST and standard time.  It was NOT a bill making it happen (as some think).

September 17, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

They could do it in just their state. Indiana does this. And Hawaii (I think)
      September 18, 2020 5:09 AM MDT

They don't want to because that would put Florida at a disadvantage conducting business.  I was glad to hear that said.  I wrote about this a few different times.
      September 18, 2020 12:46 PM MDT

I support not changing time.  I do not support DST.  I prefer Standard Time.  I let my senators know before they sent the Sunshine Protection Act to President Trump.  He has had it close to a year.  There is a holdup.  I read what it was and now can't remember.  I think they should leave it alone for this year.  Let it change on the regular day and if they can get it passed next year.....   But these unscheduled time changes are down right stupid and cause many people problems. 
      September 17, 2020 4:35 PM MDT

I only just heard it recently on the news. 
      September 18, 2020 5:12 AM MDT

If you lived here you would.  
      September 18, 2020 12:42 PM MDT

The sun should be overhead at noon. Getting dark at 5pm is preferable to kids going to school in the dark at 8am.

I don't have a problem with "summer time", but in Australia it goes on for far too long, well past the autumn equinox. It starts in October, it should finish in February - it was extended in 2000 for the Olympic Games, but didn't revert afterwards. Stupid.
      September 17, 2020 4:40 PM MDT

I disagree about dark at 5:00 being preferable. 
      September 18, 2020 5:14 AM MDT

You evidently don't have young children who need to travel long distances to school. 
      September 18, 2020 8:31 AM MDT

I did.  And they went to school everyday in the dark for the entire school year from Kindergarden-12th grade.   They should have some at home time in the daylight to they can play outside. 
      September 18, 2020 8:34 AM MDT

It's not safe for children to be away from home in the dark. Dangerous creatures are everywhere, and most walk on two legs. It's easier for them to strike if they're less likely to be seen.
      September 18, 2020 8:37 AM MDT

They are at school not on the streets.  If it is truly because of the schools then have them start later.   When I was in school I got on the bus at 8:00. 

My kids have never got on a bus later than 6:45am.
      September 18, 2020 8:46 AM MDT

I actually worked on a marketing project related to this and changing times messes everything up. There are more accidents and issues because people become sleep deprived. It's also expensive to make the jump. 

I feel like there was something in the realm that it was better to leave DST year-round though. 

I don't know. I'm in Arizona and we don't change times. It bewilders me that other places do. I always forget how many hours apart I am from various states and when the switch happens. It's always fun to try to explain to people what time zone I'm in.

Them: "So, you're on Pacific Time?" 
    Me: "No, I'm on Arizona Time."
    Them: "So, is that Mountain?"
    Me: "No, it's Arizona."
    Them: "But is that Pacific or Mountain?"
    Me: "It could be. Yes."
    Them: *exasperated* "Which one?"
    Me: "Exactly."

September 18, 2020 1:45 AM MDT

I am certain people do have issues when adjusting.   

They tell us it so kids do not have to go to school in the dark.  My kids have always had to go to school in the dark. Getting on the bus at 6-6:30 am it is dark. But at least part of the year (Aug-Nov and Mar-May) at least they come home in the daylight. 

It did not no AZ does not change. I know Indiana does not. 
      September 18, 2020 5:26 AM MDT

Daylight Savings Saving Time.

Many, many people mistakenly think it’s a plural. 

September 18, 2020 11:28 AM MDT