Active Now

my2cents
texasescimo
Randy D
Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Nevan B
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What makes you white hot boiling pissed madder then a town that refuses to change its name from Swastika?

What makes you white hot boiling pissed madder then a town that refuses to change its name from Swastika?

Small Hamlet of Swastika, New York, Votes to Keep Name Despite Complaint

The area has had the name for more than a century, but town council members considered a name change after a visitor from NYC said it was offensive and disrespectful to the memory of WWII veterans buried in graves in the nearby countryside

Published September 24, 2020 • Updated on September 25, 2020 at 12:09 am

Swastika, New York, Is Keeping Its Name

Toggle more options

A small sign identifies the hamlet of Swastika, N.Y. When an outsider suggested the tiny northern hamlet of Swastika should change its name, town supervisors quickly rejected a change.

Ben Rowe/Plattsburgh Press-Republican

Michael Alcamo lives in New York City but loves cycling through the Adirondack Mountains in northern New York, with their tiny towns and hamlets and historical cemeteries.

He was on a trip like this, winding through a remote stretch this summer, when he noticed something else, a small brown street sign with the name "Swastika."

At a time when symbols and place names with links to white supremacy are being debated across the U.S., Alcamo found the name of the unincorporated hamlet he had crossed into unsettling.

"So the effect was just jarring and profoundly, I thought, disrespectful," he said, especially to the veterans of World War II with graves nearby.

"I think it should be obvious that the town should update its name and should pick a name that is not so offensive to so many Americans and so emblematic of intolerance, hate and tyranny," he said.

Posted - September 25

Responses

*than*
      September 25, 2020 11:13 AM MDT