Active Now

Shuhak
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » For those of you who are religious, what are you? (Baptist, Catholic, Sunni Muslim etc.)

For those of you who are religious, what are you? (Baptist, Catholic, Sunni Muslim etc.)

Posted - September 27, 2020

Responses

Why?
    ~

September 27, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

Just like many questions here, curiosity.
      September 27, 2020 12:17 PM MDT

National Baptist. 

And you?
    ~

September 27, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

Non-religious Jew. This post was edited by Element 99 at September 28, 2020 1:23 PM MDT
      September 28, 2020 12:36 PM MDT

Atheism is my relationship to religion. However, y'know, i think existence might be a lot nicer if there was a real God instead of an imaginary one.
      September 27, 2020 12:41 PM MDT

It seems more accurate to say that your atheism is your lack of relationship with any god that may exist.
      September 27, 2020 2:20 PM MDT

I prefer to think 'supernatural spirit' instead of God(s). I believe  we have a natural force within ourselves rather than  supernatural but I don't think any kind of continuous ongoing strong 'relationship' can happen much anyway. Tending to the material business of surviving takes so much of our time, thoughts and energy.
      September 27, 2020 3:11 PM MDT

If there is a "God" who created us, I suspect we have to work no harder at first than a child would have to to be loved and cared for by his own human father.

Start with a small spark toward that God and you will find that you will wind up with an life long flame that motivates and guides you and warms you when you need its heat.

You can't "earn" gifts from that God---all He wants is your love.
      September 28, 2020 3:23 PM MDT

I would have to know that there is a supernatural spirit in the first place that is 'God'. I did at one time imagine there was. I think 'natural' at present times rather than 'supernatural'.
      September 28, 2020 6:17 PM MDT

I am not affiliated with any "religion" I am a Christian. 
      September 27, 2020 1:09 PM MDT

I'm not of any denomination, I'm just a Christian (follower of Jesus Christ).
      September 27, 2020 1:25 PM MDT

All voters are American

But not all voters follow the same principles when they vote.

All who follow Crist are--by definition--Christians.

But if you are not associated with a denomination, we have no idea of the actual principles by which you live.

Many have killed in Christ's name.
      September 27, 2020 2:29 PM MDT

But if you are not associated with a denomination, we have no idea of the actual principles by which you live.

Does that mean that principles are only a result of recognized denominations?

September 27, 2020 2:33 PM MDT

No, but if one is not overly lazy, one tends to at least nominally identify with the group that is similar in their beliefs.

For instance, I am Catholic--and I find that no other Christian religion has addressed all my questions with principles that I can heartily agree with and have proven immensely valuable when implemented in my life.

Part of the gift of faith is considered to be the understanding of the role of the Catholic Church in the world.

While that may be debatable or considered self-serving, like God's existence, it is either true or not true on its own; and cannot be proven or disproven by by debate or popular vote. This post was edited by tom jackson at September 27, 2020 2:46 PM MDT
      September 27, 2020 2:45 PM MDT

Principles exist in people who have no religious denomination and in people who embrace no religion whatsoever.  I am neither atheist nor agnostic, I believe that people who are atheist or agnostic may have principles just as fervent as a religious person’s principles. 

In your example based on Catholicism, and the part about the principles thereof, none of it addresses non-religious principles. If a person has never been exposed to any religion, any religious faith, any religious teachings, are you stating his or her probability of being principled or highly principled is diminished?  

As far as laziness, that can exist in almost any human group or sub-group, and even then, its definition is subjective. I am National Baptist, and while I’m certainly no Bible scholar, no seminary student, I am familiar with The Bible to a certain extent through my family and my church. I am also acquainted with some Catholics who have told me they don’t know The Bible at all, that in their faith, the person who is expected to know it (and to interpret it to the congregation) is the priest. Of course, that doesn’t mean all Catholics are like the ones who told me that, just as not all National Baptists have the same levels of participation in their faith either.
    ~

September 27, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

Why are you telling me that?

Crist  Christ
      September 28, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

Not really direct at you---more of a response occasioned by the answers above my comments.

As far as my occasional typo (misspelling), it's because I am not settling for 95% accuracy is to form and grammar rather than the 99%+ that I previously aimed for.

I have other things to do this time of year.

September 28, 2020 3:17 PM MDT

Christian. 
      September 27, 2020 6:20 PM MDT