Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Laughter is the best medicine? Possibly. Why not a worldwide telethon consisting of the best comedians who ever lived?

Laughter is the best medicine? Possibly. Why not a worldwide telethon consisting of the best comedians who ever lived?

Whom would you love to see/hear on that good old TV set in front of mike doing his/her schtick? Keep 'em laughing!

What specific routines come to mind? We could also include the"comedians" who talked about social issues of the time. We could see/hear Will Rogers do his routines that captured the hearts of millions. Ever see the Jackie Gleason Show? Remember Art Carney leaning how to play golf? says to Art 'Now address the ball" and Art says "Hello ball! Remember Lucy and the chocolate shop or when she was selling vitameatvegamin or when she set her fake her on fire? Remember Lenny Bruce? For you oldtimers. Some of them made us laugh so hard our stomachs hurt. Any of you remember Red Skelton or Totie Fields? Are you up for it? Remember Ernie Kovacs and his Nairobi Trio or Steve Allen or Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca? Abbott and Costello (who's on first) or Laurel and Hardy or Charlie Chaplin's lovable tramp?

I know funny is in the ear and mind of the beholder. So there'd be all kinds of comics/comedians/comediennes for all kinds of tastes. Non-stop for three days and nights. They' would not be doing their gigs to get you to send in money. They would be doing it because that's what they do...make 'em laugh!

Posted - October 6, 2020

Responses

One of my best discoveries of this year: The Carol Burnett Show!

This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at October 6, 2020 3:51 PM MDT
      October 6, 2020 2:27 PM MDT

You never watched in real time? Was it "before your time"? I will tell you the single funniest thing I ever saw on TV hands down was CaroL Burnett coming regally down a staircase in a ballgown she made out of drapes using CURTAIN RODS across her shoulders to hold it up. Unless you have seen it you can't possibly imagine how hysterically funny it was. At the time it was the most sustained and longest laughter ever recorded for a TV show. Now how they measured that I have no idea. You had to be there. Howya doin' Rev? Fine I hope. I wish you and your family smooth sailing. Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! STAY SAFE! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 6, 2020 2:32 PM MDT
      October 6, 2020 2:31 PM MDT

Oh really? I'll look out for that one. I suppose she was before my time . . . but I don't think her material was screened over here as much as it was in the USA.
    Yes, I'm fine in general, thanks for asking, and my folks are too.
    Happy Wednesday!
      October 6, 2020 2:45 PM MDT

Great to hear from you Rev! :) Now it's Tuesday here in Hemet, California. Not Wednesday. I think.
      October 6, 2020 2:46 PM MDT

You're right Rosie, it is Tuesday . . . it's just that for me, Tuesday is almost over - it's 9 minutes before 10pm.  I just didn't factor in that it's a lot earlier in the day where you are . . . oh, I've just checked and it's 13:52. So, hope you're keeping well and you have a nice afternoon.
      October 6, 2020 2:53 PM MDT

George Carlin. Very funny and a great philosopher...but you have to be able to tolerate lots of profanity.
      October 6, 2020 3:53 PM MDT