Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do you still listen to AM radio? I use it as a lightning detector.

Do you still listen to AM radio? I use it as a lightning detector.

Posted - October 8, 2020

Responses

I do. There are some talk radio programs that I listen Monday through Friday.
    ~

October 8, 2020 8:12 PM MDT

Cricket is on AM radio every summer.
      October 8, 2020 8:38 PM MDT

Funny that you mention that.  I haven't listened to AM radio in a dog's age, but turned it on in the car on Monday to see if there was something I was interested in on the news.
      October 8, 2020 9:45 PM MDT

Did you find anything worthy?

~

October 8, 2020 9:54 PM MDT

New York City has 1010WINS which is a 24/7 news program.  I don't remember what it was that I was trying find out.  
      October 8, 2020 9:56 PM MDT

• I listened to it while I was riding with my uncle.  He's a truck driver, so I spend some of my vacations riding with him.  Sometimes he wants to listen to talk and news while he drives and sometimes he wants to listen to music, so he listens to AM half of the time and FM half of the time.

I usually don't listen to AM when I'm by myself, but one night I listened to it while driving home from work.  I heard an English-language program which I thought was interesting.  The hosts were talking about listening to long-distance radio stations that are normally out-of-range for them.  I haven't heard their program before, but then the radio station announced its call sign, which began with W, so it was from the USA.  I was listening to hosts talk about listening to long distance radio stations on a radio station that was normally too far away for me to hear.
      October 8, 2020 10:33 PM MDT

Skywave propagation. The upper layer of the atmosphere, the ionosphere, becomes an almost perfect reflector at night for most of the frequencies that are used by the AM band, so the signal "bounces" back down. I used to pick up Radio Port Moresby from Sydney at night when I was in my teens.
      October 9, 2020 1:16 AM MDT

Sometimes it is the only way to listen to a ballgame.  
      October 9, 2020 6:09 PM MDT

I listen to "AM Radio" all the time. I love that song by Everclear.
    :)

October 9, 2020 8:37 PM MDT

October 9, 2020 11:09 PM MDT

October 10, 2020 7:04 AM MDT

Will wearing car engine air-filter elements like that catch on. do you think?
      October 14, 2020 2:16 PM MDT

I listen to it sometimes.  When I was a kid, I listened to it on snowy mornings hoping they would announce my school was closed for the day.  My own kids won't get to enjoy snow days, though.  They've been replaced with e-learning days.
      October 10, 2020 12:08 PM MDT

No. We actually only get one station on AM in my area, which is also available on FM.
      October 10, 2020 7:50 PM MDT

Very rarely now. All the services I normally listen to are on FM.

I've also tried the on-line BBC Sounds service but had problems logging into it, much more likely from my PC not being compatible with whatever background system the BBC uses (WIN-10 based?), than from any fault in the service itself.  

I have a DAB (Digital Audio Broadcast) radio but have not tried using it. I took one look at the operating instructions and decided I could not  be bothered with the mind-boggling complexity of setting the thing up, simply to listen to programmes that continue to be transmitted perfectly well on real, frequency-modulated radio waves. DAB is also said to suffer from a strange weakness - it cannot be relied on for time-keeping due to a (variable?) delay between transmission and reception! 
      October 14, 2020 2:14 PM MDT