Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Education » For those of you who have or had school-age children, would you have been able to home-school them?

For those of you who have or had school-age children, would you have been able to home-school them?

Posted - October 21, 2020

Responses

• Yes, when our two children were young, we home schooled for about three years. I'll admit to being skeptical in the beginning, but it worked well. When the kids matriculated back into the public system, they were more than a year ahead of their peers and actually had to wait for their classmates to catch up to them. 
      October 21, 2020 12:47 PM MDT

They must have pretty bored.
      October 21, 2020 12:52 PM MDT

Ya our son completed his grade 12  home school  year 3 months  early so he had a 3 month head start at finding a job. Cheers
      October 21, 2020 5:32 PM MDT

No I did not.  But if I still had young children I probably would try it now with online schools available now.  

October 21, 2020 2:02 PM MDT

Our oldest boy did one year of home schooling and he did  very well at it. Our youngest son wanted to go  on it but I wouldn't let him because he would of just  goofed  around when we were at work. Cheers!
      October 21, 2020 5:08 PM MDT

(would of have)

October 21, 2020 5:15 PM MDT

What do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit?
      October 21, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

”Able to”?

It may or may not have been an option available to us as parents when our children were school age, I do not know.
    I was on active military duty at the time, and there were periods when I was deployed overseas, I was on Drill Instructor duty, etc., wherein I could not have done the home-schooling myself.  My wife was a recently-arrived immigrant when our first child was born, and throughout our childrens’ school years, it would have been a) too difficult for her to attempt to home-school them, and b) it would have been unfair to the children in regard to offering them the best schooling possible.
    ~
      October 21, 2020 5:24 PM MDT

I was a weekend dad for 10 years, traveling to and from home and the Naval bases and two deployments. My (first) wife, however, is quite intelligent and would have been able to do so had my kids been receptive to her. (My daughter has disowned her since.) She was very lazy, and I don't know if she would have bothered. My son was mainly self taught, and absorbed information like a sponge. My daughter needed more help, though. Fortunately, I retired in 1990, when they were still in school, so I would have been able to work with them at home if they had needed it.
      October 21, 2020 5:37 PM MDT

We were working, not from home, so it wasn't possible.
      October 21, 2020 6:34 PM MDT

I don't know how people have done it. 

I would have been forced to quit working, I think. It would have been tough. I'd be little help with high school math or physics. My ex wasn't very involved with our children. My mom would have been a great resource. 

October 21, 2020 7:23 PM MDT

I considered it at one point but at that time I had to have teaching credentials or have a degree in an academic subject and join a home-school group.  Also, at that time I would have had to quit my job; home schooling parents could not work outside the home.  This was in 2000.  Things have changed a lot now.  This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 22, 2020 8:05 AM MDT
      October 22, 2020 12:09 AM MDT