Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does your state allow you to change your early vote?

Does your state allow you to change your early vote?

Posted - October 27, 2020

Responses

Apparently, this is the latest---and presumably the most accurate---list of such states. 

Three states — Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota — allow voters to switch their votes before Election Day. Despite news reports, Pennsylvania does not allow absentee voters to change votes. In Connecticut, it is up to the local town office, a State Department official told Business Insider.

Several other states, including Illinois, Delaware, New Mexico, Idaho, Indiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi, voters are allowed to "spoil" a ballot and request another (up to three, in some states)

The actual procedures for such a change vary depending on which state you cast your ballot.
      October 27, 2020 2:26 PM MDT

Sounds like that would be confusing and open to abuse 
      October 27, 2020 3:17 PM MDT

We agree on something political.  

Personally I think in person day of is the way to go. 
      October 27, 2020 3:21 PM MDT

Indeed. I had a postal vote for a while. It never felt right.
      October 27, 2020 3:50 PM MDT

Absolutely.  There is no reason for us to be doing all of this other stuff.  We should all vote in person on election day.  States can arrange for triple the number of polling placing if need be and open the polls for 24 hours.  No one has reason why they couldn't vote on voting day....excuses perhaps, but not reasons.
      October 27, 2020 10:08 PM MDT

Texas considers these as valid reasons to request an absentee ballot.

These reason are acceptable as reasons for you to be able to vote by mail.

65 years of age or older. (Complete Box #6a)

Disability. 

Expected absence from the county. 

Confinement in jail. 

As far as implementing more polling places and allowing 24 hour voting as well as staffing those locations---well, how long would it take to make that work.

Here's a link to things involved in making what you suggest happen:

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/polling-places.aspx
      October 28, 2020 12:49 AM MDT

Definately need more polling stations...crazy to be waiting in line all day. I have never had to wait that long but I have heard people talking about how long they had to wait. 
      October 28, 2020 6:03 AM MDT

I wonder how well that opinion would go over with people in nursing homes, on hospice care, etc.  Or, should the aged, infirm and disabled not be allowed to vote? 

I'm sure the travel and tourism industry would take issue with it as well. Who wants to start their vacation on a Wednesday?

People do have reasons. You might think traveling, infirmity, disability, impending death, lack of transportation, mental illness, etc. aren't legitimate reasons. Thankfully, you're not in charge of deciding who is worthy enough to cast a vote. 
      October 28, 2020 7:51 PM MDT

No, that is a completely stupid allowance.
      October 27, 2020 10:09 PM MDT

I think could lead to lawsuits. 
      October 28, 2020 5:59 AM MDT

I’ve never even heard of that, but then again, I admit that I don’t know all the nuances and intricacies of California‘s voting regulations. Heck, I barely know the basics of them beyond what is sent to me in the mail. 

~

October 27, 2020 10:53 PM MDT

Apparently it does. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that several years ago a popular Senate candidate was killed in a plane crash just days before the election. Without discussing the pros and cons of early votes - there will always be a need for some absentee ballots , I can see where there might be circumstances where information about a candidate might surface after a vote is cast, such as being dead, in jail, or reliably reported to be involved in corrupt activity.
      October 28, 2020 4:22 AM MDT

Yes some absentee will always be needed.  
    We had a candidate die during the campaign before as well. But it was early enough that it wa understood a vote for the dead candidate was a vote for his wife to take the seat.  The dead man did win.  (It was too late to change the ballots)
      October 28, 2020 5:58 AM MDT

Did he win or did his wife win?  His name on the ballot may have garnered the highest number of votes, but since she had replaced him due to his death, he could not have won the election, technically, she did.
      I’m jes’ sayin’.
    ~

October 28, 2020 7:48 AM MDT

No. The dead guy got the most votes.  He posthumously won election. 
    The Gov technically had to appoint the wife. This post was edited by my2cents at October 28, 2020 12:33 PM MDT
      October 28, 2020 11:07 AM MDT

Thank you. 

~

October 28, 2020 11:38 AM MDT

No
      October 28, 2020 9:18 PM MDT