Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » If you’ve ever been somewhere you didn’t belong, where was it, and did know know it beforehand or did you find out once you got there?

If you’ve ever been somewhere you didn’t belong, where was it, and did know know it beforehand or did you find out once you got there?

~

Posted - October 28, 2020

Responses

Was in India hiking up a mountain,
    was almost at the top of mountain
    Where two rivers from both side of the mountain
    converge. There was a clearing so i went onto the clearing.
    I saw huge, what i thought were boulders around the 
    perimeter. All of a sudden the so called boulders started moving.
    They were not boulders at all. They were Orangatangs (sp)
    Huge monkeys that were sleeping and they all woke up
    and were looking at me. They were bigger than me...huge.
    I looked at all of them as they looked at me, and i bowed to them
    and started backing out of their space. It was a little scary...haha

October 28, 2020 1:35 PM MDT

Awwwww
      October 28, 2020 3:29 PM MDT

Tales like this sum up why I've been a bit obsessed with India since I was young. :)

Only thing is, orangutans don't live in India....

Maybe a macaque?
      October 28, 2020 6:51 PM MDT

Maybe
    i didn't ask what kind of monkey they were.
      November 1, 2020 2:56 PM MST

For a longish while I had a very posh friend. I think he saw it as his task to educate me Eliza Doolittle style. So we went to the opera, the ballet etc. On one occasion he outdid himself and we went to a place called Glyndebourne. There the 'thing' is to have mega posh picnics with champagne and posh stuff, then trundle off to watch an opera. Apparently one has to be very careful to fit in. 

It was odd.. somewhat stressful, but I think we pulled it off and passed for civilised people.  
      October 28, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

Randy D to Daydream: "Please, Mum, I know I'm just a lowly peasant, but when you are crowned Queen of England, please don't have me shipped off to the 'Re-Education Centers' . . . "

October 28, 2020 3:29 PM MDT

Awwww, I would love to go and learn how to be able to fit in no matter what status a person is. 
      October 28, 2020 3:32 PM MDT

Er, um, that's certainly what happens at Re-Education Centers, but I think you might object to their methods and their goals for exactly where you'd fit in afterwards.

~
      October 28, 2020 9:16 PM MDT

I certainly wasn't thinking about taking the low-road.  My sights were set on the better choice.

Tea with the Queen:

October 29, 2020 1:27 PM MDT

Several parties, some I knew beforehand, some I didn't. 

A private nature preserve or two. I didn't know they were private when I set out to go, but did see the signs that said "_______residents only" once I arrived. I'm generally pretty law-abiding and respectful of private property. In these instances, Google maps really shouldn't show places that are for the exclusive use by residents of a certain neighborhood as 'nature preserve', in my opinion. Or, it should at least be listed as 'private'. I left them as I leave any public land, in better shape than it was when I arrived.

A few other places, best forgotten. 

October 28, 2020 7:15 PM MDT

"A few other places" wouldn't happen to be a reference to that time I invited you to screen the Harem contract overnight, would it?  I thought we agreed not to mention that in public.

~
      October 28, 2020 8:07 PM MDT

No comment.
      October 28, 2020 8:12 PM MDT