Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » America is "dangerously dependent" on China for medical supplies. If so why not make China an ALLY rather than an adversary?

America is "dangerously dependent" on China for medical supplies. If so why not make China an ALLY rather than an adversary?

Posted - October 29, 2020

Responses

China would have to play by the rules.
    Stop stealing intellectual property.
    Quit manipulating currency
    Get rid of tarrifs on goods coming in. 
    Treat their people humanly. 
    Etc

October 29, 2020 8:25 AM MDT

And sadly that's not really going to happen! I don't believe they have any intention of doing that.. 
      October 29, 2020 1:38 PM MDT

You are correct. China has no intention of changing any behaviors. 
    We need to bring manufacturing home. This post was edited by my2cents at October 30, 2020 6:37 AM MDT
      October 30, 2020 6:37 AM MDT

During a pandemic, if you are dependent on any nation for medical supplies, it is dangerous.
    After all, they are going to take care of their people first - before sending any supplies outside their own nation.

Now, the thing with China - besides what my2cents mentions - is we KNOW they poison their consumer goods.
    They have a history of having their products found with things that are hazardous to the consumers health.
    Everything from poison in dog food/treats, to lead paint on children's toys.
      October 29, 2020 10:45 AM MDT

There is no reason on earthy why we should be depending on ANY foreign country for medical supplies.  
      October 29, 2020 11:17 AM MDT

So what you are saying is that we are competent and capable of producing everything we need here? Hmm. If true why haven't we done decades ago? Inquiring minds wanna know these things. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      October 29, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

Money. Taxes, regulations, unions, China manipulating currency, etc. 
      October 29, 2020 11:41 AM MDT

Yes, we are competent and able to produce everything we need here.  We don't because it's probably less expensive to manufacture items in countries that don't pay their workers a fair wage which increases the bottom line of American corporations.  
      October 29, 2020 12:17 PM MDT

Since making money and the bottom line is what life is all about for the "movers and shakers" in America it ain't gonna happen anytime soon and very likely NEVER. Money is what makes the world go around.  Money is what motivates salivates sates. Money is the only thing they seek. MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY. The money ilk are of a like mind just as the gun people are of a like mind. ONE DIMENSIONAL! More's the pity. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      October 29, 2020 1:07 PM MDT

Agreed.  Happy Friday. :)
      October 30, 2020 8:51 AM MDT

I think we have all had a taste of this during this period. UK too are very overly reliant on China... it's almost impossible to avoid buying things made in China.  

I really like and admire much about the Chinese and their culture.. but it would also be true to say that there are a LOT of negatives and some aspects of their culture are entirely incompatible and opposed to those we generally hold here in the UK/US. That doesn't make them inherently bad, just different, with different emphasis and values. 

October 29, 2020 1:41 PM MDT

China supplies a lot of fun things that are cheaply made and very enjoyable. They also have many very smart people working on things to make them front and center futurely. A position the US enjoyed once upon a time but that the dumb cluck duck blew up with all his screwups. Good on China! Good on anyone who is smarter sharper wiser. The world will benefit. The world is less than because of an "american". The dumb cluck duck. We the people will never get rid of the stain of him. NEVER EVER.  SIGH. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 29, 2020 2:08 PM MDT

Actually, I think we can trace China's growing power to the Clinton Administration.
    They were the ones that allowed the Chinese to buy computers and other high-tech components - which were previously banned from sale to China.  Without that tech boost, the Chinese would still be decades behind.
      October 30, 2020 6:28 AM MDT

Wasn't it Nixon who opened the door to China Walt? Or am I confused? I thought he made an historic trip there in the long ago. I am not a history buff by any means. Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 30, 2020 6:34 AM MDT

Yes ... Nixon paved the way for them to have diplomatic relations with most of the world.
    However, because they were a major communist country - and we were in the Cold War - they couldn't buy much technology from the western nations.  

It wasn't until Clinton enabled selling them technology, that they were able to upgrade their military and infrastructure, create a growing "middle class", and expand their influence globally by providing infrastructure improvements to developing nations.
      October 30, 2020 7:13 AM MDT

Thanks m'dear. I knew you'd fill in the blanks for me. Separate but related issue. Isn't some of the technology suspected of spying on us? Or is that a different country? I mean how do we now there aren't tracking mechanisms that go straight back to China to report on us? SIGH. Is there any country we can trust? I mean even our allies we spy on right? :( I'm gonna ask.
      October 30, 2020 7:25 AM MDT

If you're talking about the fear of China tracking us through TikTok app ... they say they can't because the servers are in the US, under US law.

Of course, most apps (no matter from where) ask permission to track our information (photos, location, etc) and most people click "Yes" without a second thought.  There's also a conspiracy theory that as long as you have any smart phone, the US Government is tracking you.
      October 30, 2020 10:01 AM MDT