Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Rather than a face mask that makes me CLAUSTROPHOBIC today I used a FACE SHIELD. AWESOME! Have you tried it?

Rather than a face mask that makes me CLAUSTROPHOBIC today I used a FACE SHIELD. AWESOME! Have you tried it?

Posted - October 29, 2020

Responses

No.  Since I can't see the mask while wearing it, it's not so claustrophobic.  I can see a face shield and that alone induces a panic attack.
      October 29, 2020 12:07 PM MDT

Did you know when you wear a face mask you should also wear GLASSES? The virus can come in to your body THROUGH YOUR EYES unless you wear glasses. A face mask does not cover eyes. A face shield does. Consider that bigly and longly. IT IS IMPORTANT. Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      October 29, 2020 1:29 PM MDT

I wear glasses (but only when I want to see; as I really hate wearing them)
      October 29, 2020 2:35 PM MDT

I wear glasses for distance. I've worn them since I was in my early 20's. I never minded it. I didn't even try contact lenses. The thought of putting a piece of glass or plastic in my eye is repulsive. I guess I'm not that egotistical. You can wear the shield over glasses. Jim wears them and tried the shield on an outing yesterday after I had worn it for a few hours. He likes it too. I expect this will be a way of life for a VERY LONG TIME so we decided to branch out and try a few things. Thank you for your reply Shuhak and Happy Friday! :)
      October 30, 2020 2:32 AM MDT

Yes, lol I have bunches of medical grade face masks and I also have 3 face shields that I use in the 3 work environments I go to. As all of my roles are 'customer' facing along with importance of needing to convey facial expressions, e.g. empathy - it's important that my face be visible. 

However, as I understand it, and I can't remember where I heard it... the shield doesn't protect quite as well as the face mask.. and I gather that really one is supposed to wear both! 

I do think though that it might be a matter of balance - comfort but still protective as possible
      October 29, 2020 1:35 PM MDT

The face mask does not cover eyes. The virus can enter through them unless you wear glasses. The face shield covers the entire face including the eyes. I LOVED wearing it and I even got a compliment on it from a stranger at the market. I told him my husband bought a 10-pack at Costco for $9.98! They are not expensive and reusable. Thank you for your reply Addb. I'm glad you have a variety of things to help keep you safe. Jim and I are retired. A whole different thing. :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 29, 2020 1:52 PM MDT
      October 29, 2020 1:40 PM MDT

LOL Hey I am no spring chicken myself! I don't really know a lot about the mask thing.. just that apparently you are supposed to wear both.. perhaps this idea comes from the medical profession where we saw people dealing with the pandemic wearing both?  I don't and couldn't wear both.. but it is nice to see people's faces properly, which you can't with masks.  
      October 29, 2020 1:54 PM MDT

I'm on the precipice of 83! Can you match that? I betcha you can't! Thank you for your reply Addb. Whatever age you are is perfect in my opinion! So THERE! :)
      October 29, 2020 1:59 PM MDT

I have seen very few people wearing face-shields rather than masks, apart from shop staff, and not tried them but have wondered about them. I have not even seen shields on sale so am not sure where I could buy them other than on-line or as industrial versions sold by tool factors.

I don't feel claustrophobic wearing a mask but don't like it, and am glad to get outside again and take it off. (We don't need wear them outdoors here, only inside shops etc., and on public transport.)
      October 30, 2020 2:43 PM MDT