Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Should the pollsters be fired? They failed their job once again. Or is their job to manipulate the electorate?

Should the pollsters be fired? They failed their job once again. Or is their job to manipulate the electorate?

Sen Collins did not win 1 poll. But she solidly won re-election.

All the toss-ups were supposed to go blue....big blue wave coming.  That is did not happen.  Sen was supposed to go Blue...House was supposed to gain blue seats....Did not happen. 

Posted - November 5, 2020

Responses

You’d have to define exactly what you mean by “their jobs”.  Pollsters are not appointed nor elected, they are self-initiated entities, and as such, write their own rules. Anyone who follows polls and anyone who makes decisions largely based on poll data deserves whichever outcome received. It’s buyer beware. 

~

November 5, 2020 6:26 AM MST

Some are hired by newspapers/campaigns/news media. 

They were wrong last time and rather than fix it. They got worse.  Which to me leads to the question what is their job? It is to accurately poll or use their polls to surpress or manipulate the vote?
      November 5, 2020 6:36 AM MST

Once again, if they’re one entity that gets hired by another entity, then it‘s between the pollsters the people doing the hiring to decide whether or not the services received were what was in the contract. Also, some polls are merely printed by or broadcast by news organizations without any prior contract or hiring involved. The type, amount and accuracy of a reported poll can be manipulated by the broadcaster as opposed to the pollster.  For example, I have poll data indicating that both mayonnaise and Vegemite will be completely eradicated from existence worldwide  by December 31, 2020.
    ~

November 5, 2020 6:52 AM MST

I agree they can manipulate their poll to get the result they want. 
    My point why should we even care what they poll. They have proven themselves inaccurate. Why should they be on the news talking about the poll results with any credibility? 
      November 5, 2020 7:07 AM MST

There is nothing mandating that you listen to or accept whatever pollsters say.  So, just turn them off.
      November 5, 2020 7:51 AM MST

True. I have long said I don't trust polls. They were good for spotting trends but not for real numbers.   I don't think rating count so close as to channels changing because of a specific guest airing.  To where that would/could make a statement. 

But true I do not have to listen to them when they are on the news.
      November 5, 2020 9:10 AM MST

What was or what has been your opinion of poll results that showed Donald Trump in highly favorable light?
    ~

November 6, 2020 6:34 AM MST

Where were those? 
      November 6, 2020 7:04 AM MST

Mainly on conservative and right-leaning broadcasts.
    ~

November 6, 2020 7:09 AM MST

Real polls are not on broadcasts.
      I am talking about the real polls that would be featured on Real Clear Politics. 
      November 11, 2020 6:17 AM MST

?What does mayonnaise taste like to you?  
      November 5, 2020 8:04 AM MST

Wow, that’s a really good question, mon amie. Very provocative and intriguing. Now that you mention it, I’m trying to figure out the best way to describe it, that’s not easy. 

It tastes as if it’s stayed out in the sun too long and has rotted. Foul and putrid are the best words I can find. 

November 5, 2020 8:12 AM MST

Hummm, interesting! Anything else taste anywhere close to it?

Mayo has so few ingredients, all I can think of is the eggs mixed with the

vinegar must be the problem. Do you like vinegar, eggs, pickled eggs?

I must figure this out!  hahaha but seriously...
    This post was edited by . at November 5, 2020 5:56 PM MST
      November 5, 2020 8:44 AM MST

I like most egg-based dishes, pickled eggs is not one of them, I only like vinegar in small quantities.
    ~

November 5, 2020 5:56 PM MST

I sometimes wonder if the people being questioned purposely lie, to throw off the polls. Perhaps we should fire those being questioned, ha.
    :)
      November 5, 2020 7:08 AM MST

There is a theory that some do not tell the truth because they are worried their answer could be revealed and affect their jobs etc.   We have seen people fired/or protesters showing up at their homes for voicing support for different opinions. 
      November 5, 2020 9:13 AM MST

That's not good, for sure. But if I were concerned about such potential consequences, I would not lie. I would simply and kindly refrain from participating in the poll in the first place.
      November 5, 2020 6:43 PM MST

There's got to be another way to make things a hell of a lot more accurate. The thing is that every media outlet depends on these polls to inform the public with suspect information. The whole concept confuses and infuriates me. This post was edited by Zack at November 5, 2020 9:05 AM MST
      November 5, 2020 8:25 AM MST

I agree. They need to figure it out as the media shoves these things down our throat constainly as if they are facts. 
      November 5, 2020 9:17 AM MST

(constainly constantly)

November 5, 2020 5:58 PM MST

I don’t believe the media shoves anything down anyone’s throat; they merely present their “product” to people, it’s up to the consumer, the end user, to decide whether or not to accept it.  It takes a knowledgeable patron to ascertain what’s credible, what’s not credible, and what’s outrageously incredible.  Not everyone has the intelligence to know when he or she is being lied to.

That being said, I do believe that the media would like very much for their tripe to be believed, which is akin to a desire to shove it down people’s throats.
    ~

November 5, 2020 6:04 PM MST

You may not like my phrasing...but you agreed with meaning. 
      November 5, 2020 6:46 PM MST

For the sake of accuracy, I did not state that I either liked or disliked your phrasing, I merely stated what I believe, as shown in the opening words of my comment, nor did I state that I am 100% in agreement with your perspective. The PORTION of your post which which I show partial concurrence is that the media might want it that way, but I further intimated that only the truly gullible, naïve, uninformed or ignorant person falls for it.
      If you consider yourself a person who has either had the media shove its “information” down your throat or a person who has been able to see through media façades, that is something you can evaluate on your own.
    ~

November 5, 2020 8:03 PM MST

The blue wave is happening. Of course in-person votes were for His Royal Orangeness, most of his supporters still think that the current pandemic is some sort of bizarre hoax (despite 230,000-plus deaths and counting). The postal are trending solidly blue, at least 3 Republican senate seats are likely to change hands (2 to candidates not affiliated with either major party), AZ, NV and WI have definitely flipped and the postals are, barring any major shift, going to deliver Biden a clear majority in PA and MI as well. It's why Trump wants the count to stop, he's losing.
      November 5, 2020 6:12 PM MST