Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Has anyone ever actually said to you "Because I said so, that's why"? Did you buy it or did you challenge/pursue? Why?

Has anyone ever actually said to you "Because I said so, that's why"? Did you buy it or did you challenge/pursue? Why?

Posted - November 20, 2020

Responses

I'm sure my mom must have said that to me on multiple occasions when I was growing up. :)  I probably did what she wanted, but fumed at having to do so.
      November 20, 2020 8:44 AM MST

I was the first born and very serious (I still am). I wanted more than anything to please my parents. I don't remember ever questioning anything they told me to do. Hard to believe isn't it since now I question everyone all the time about everything nonstop? But I cannot remember ever hearing them say that. If they told me to do something I did it. My sister, on the other hand, was a handful. She was the 'baby" and also very adorable. She drew people to her like you can't believe. Very gregarious popular outgoing. All the things I wasn't. She left home at age 17 and got a job and shared an apartment with her girlfriend. I stayed at home until I got married at age 20. No way was I going to leave that comfy nest. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Saturday. How is it going in New York? We start our curfew at 10pm tonight which lasts till 5am in the morning. Of course we are not affected by it since we are always at home during those hours. :)
      November 21, 2020 2:35 AM MST

I was the eldest, too, and for the most part, I did what they wanted, but there was a rebellious streak in me.  The sister after me was the one who would never do anything other than what was expected from her.  The two after that were even more rebellious than I was.  In the end, it all worked out. :)
      November 21, 2020 6:48 AM MST

Goodness. We were the yin and yang. My sis told me years later that she admired me so much. I was shocked. I admired her ability to draw people to her...make friends so easily. I don't know if you know about the organization Job's Daughters but she was elected Queen of her Bethel. That was a great accomplishment and status symbol back in our day. Me. I was the good student. The good girl. Never got into trouble or caused my parents a day of worry with respect to breaking laws or not following rules. They might have worried about my being painfully shy. I know they were proud of my grades and that I skipped a few grades in grammar school and there was one teacher from third grade who remained close to our family till I graduated from high school. Her name was Frances Bryant and she was so kind to me. My school years weren't all that great. I loved the learning part but the people part...the socializing..the fitting in. Didn't work for me. Thank you for your reply L! :)
      November 21, 2020 6:54 AM MST

I did well in school, but never gave it my all, so my grades were average.  I wasn't particularly fond of many of my teachers or interested in some of my classes, so I did just enough to get by.  I was not the social butterfly either and had a very small circle of friends.  It wasn't until one fellow I was dating for a long time, who was a very social person, made me realize that I could hold my own in any company and from then on, I felt more comfortable in groups of people that I didn't know.  Now, it's more a matter that I prefer smaller groups of people than large crowds.
      November 21, 2020 7:01 AM MST

Thank you for your reply L. All I had was school. I remember one day walking by a classmate's home on my way to somewhere. He lived a few blocks away from me but a brick wall separated the home from the sidewalk. I heard a lot of splashing and laughing (it was summer I think and he must have had a pool) and I felt wistful that I wasn't among them. Of course I had no idea who was on the other side. It could have been family. I just assumed it was some of his friends invited over. You know the worst time every year? Valentine's day. The popular kids would get called up by the teacher to get a valentine and some kids kept getting called on and going up a lot. I think I might have gotten one. It was so embarrassing. I'm going to ask. Might as well bare my soul. Maybe others had similar experiences. Thank you for your reply L! :0
      November 21, 2020 7:16 AM MST

I don't recall doing Valentine cards for classmates.  I recall doing them for family members.  Funny, the things you remember.  When I was 6, we moved to a new neighborhood and I attended a new school.  It was in the middle of the school year and the first  craft we made was an Easter basket.   Boy named Alan sat behind me and pulled my ponytail.
      November 21, 2020 8:32 AM MST

Remember I'm older than you are so it may have stopped. It was in California not New York though I don't know why geographical location would matter for something like that. I wonder how long your mom kept that Easter basket? You're lucky he didn't have an inkwell filled with ink into which he would have dunked your ponytail! Thank you for your reply L and Happy Sunday before Thanksgviging! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 22, 2020 7:59 AM MST
      November 22, 2020 4:42 AM MST

I don't even recall bringing that Easter basket home or how long she kept it, if she kept it at all.:)
      November 22, 2020 7:59 AM MST

Hmm. Well if you brought it home she kept it somewhere. I betcha! Thank you for your reply L! :)
      November 22, 2020 11:13 AM MST

That sounds like my first wife. Just another reason she is an ex.
      November 20, 2020 11:08 AM MST

Hahahahahaha! Funnee hunnee. Thank you for your reply E! :)
      November 21, 2020 2:30 AM MST