Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » answerMug Members » Do you realize there are pitfalls in trying to author eclectic and challenging questions here?

Do you realize there are pitfalls in trying to author eclectic and challenging questions here?

Below is an example of a game I was writing but had to scrap before posting it because I found out the hard way that it may be impossible to answer. See if you can spot the flaw that prevented me from publishing it.

AnswerMug’s Challenge Series, Celebrity Initials Day Edition:

SU MO TU WE TH FR SA

This question calls for a seven-part (minimum) answer.

Using the two-letter abbreviations for the days of the week that are shown above, name seven famous (or infamous) people whose names correspond to those initials.  
The people’s names must be in the order of the initials as in first name first and then last name, such as S____ (first name) and the U_____ last name, not U______ (first name) and then S______ (last name).
If the person had/has three names by which he or she is commonly known, and two of the initials show above, you may use that person in your answer. For instance, Robert Lewis Stevenson or Julie Louis-Dreyfus. 
The people can be from any part of the world and from any time period throughout history, including the present time, as long as the are either famous, infamous, or well-known. You cannot use your cousin Murray Oflingger or your third grade teacher Francine Rojas.
Your answer cannot include any repeats of people or names already shown in this thread.

The first one of you who posts a seven-part answer that not only meets the above criteria but also cannot be challenged as incorrect or inaccurate will be granted 250 AnswerMug points from my account to yours. Each subsequent person who also does that will receive 100 AnswerMug points.

*Bonus/cheat: you do not have to use just the name by which the famous/infamous person is commonly known, for instance, if he or she was given a name at birth but later changed it, or the person uses a nickname or stage name or alias, you may use either one in your answer as long as it fits one of the seven sets of initials above. I just ask that if you use the less-common or lesser-known name to match the initials, please include that person’s famous name too.

Have fun!

~

Posted - November 20, 2020

Responses

I lost interest in this question after the first sentence.  Sorry.
      November 20, 2020 7:45 AM MST

Please don’t apologize; it’s extremely tedious to go through. Even I acknowledge that.
    ~

November 20, 2020 12:21 PM MST

I have little patience to begin with and the virus has reduced it even more. :)
      November 20, 2020 1:33 PM MST

1. MICHELE OBAMA
    2. TRACY ULMAN
    3. WILLIMENA EINSTEIN
    4. TOM HANKS
    5. FRANK ROGERS
    6. SMIRNOVIA ALEXANDRA
    7. SU This post was edited by . at November 20, 2020 4:43 PM MST
      November 20, 2020 10:08 AM MST

Did you find the flaw that kept me from posting it?
    ~

November 20, 2020 12:20 PM MST

I have ADD and didn't finish reading it.
      November 20, 2020 10:50 AM MST

Welcome to my world!
      November 20, 2020 1:33 PM MST

What is the flaw??

My best guess is that anyone can challenge pretty much anything...
      November 21, 2020 4:54 PM MST

If you try to solve the puzzle, you’ll most likely find the flaw right away. Before posting AnswerMug Challenges, I check their accuracy by seeking the potential answers myself.
    ~

November 21, 2020 8:19 PM MST

GRRR!! 

Sarah Utterback
    Maureen O'Hara
    Thomas Underwood
    Wayne Ellington
    Tyler Herro
    Fred Rogers
    Stephen Austin

Now... what's the flaw?

November 21, 2020 8:38 PM MST

While trying to write an example for each day, I got stuck on finding a famous person that everyone might know for the very first one: SU. I found about twenty people, but even I couldn’t claim the they were well known enough to fit the bill. 

The frustration of the first example being impossible made me abandon the entire effort, until it dawned on me to post it as a behind-the-scenes look at Randy-Think. 

[I also admit that I don’t recognize half the people on your list.]

~

This post was edited by Randy D at November 22, 2020 7:49 PM MST
      November 21, 2020 9:13 PM MST

I cheated a bit on a couple of them. I wouldn't have, but I wanted to know the flaw! 
      November 21, 2020 9:17 PM MST

There’s nothing that’s considered cheating, really. I don’t expect anyone to know all this stuff off the top of his or her head, I had every expectation that research would be done. Heck, research is what I was doing when my head exploded over this thing, and that was one the first of seven sets of initials. Grrrrrrr. 

~

November 21, 2020 9:44 PM MST

Oh the Humanity ...

Try to be strong.
      November 21, 2020 9:43 PM MST

Lol!
    ~
      November 21, 2020 9:45 PM MST